MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Now I'm canning... (1)

Cat

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I am tired!! I had never canned mixtures before. Was always afraid to. Because of the enthusiasm shown here for the Ball Book stew, soups and, I think it was HSMom's zucchini spahgetti, I tried all of them and made several batches of each. Today, I took a really huge step and canned a sloppy joe recipe that has been around our family for awhile. Made six quarts! There wasn't enough to fill another jar and the menfolk ate it already!

Seeing that turned out ok (so far) I made a concoction of shredded beef roast, peppers and onions, too. Got six pints of that. I did pints because a quart of the stuff looked like more than we could eat in a meal as I intend to add noodles at the time of serving. So, I thank you all for the inspiration to to branch out and try family favorites as long as there are no forbidden ingredients in them! I feel so brave!! Hugs!! Shari

The other plus to home canning is that salt is optional in almost all recipes. Hubby is on a cardiac diet. I omit salt in canning and he can add his special salt at time of serving. I have also tried jams with Splenda (for me) and even though the yields are lower, I have flavors of jams not available otherwise. Going to do beets today - everybody's favorite around here! More hugs! Shari

I canned 17 quarts of butternut squash today and have 16 quarts, peeled and cubed and ready to go into the canner in the morning. Aaron took a handsaw and a vice thing and sliced them in half for me. My friend Rhoda helped me peel and chop. We also washed and chopped a 1/2 bushel of rhubarb. We laid newspaper on the floor of my sitting room and went to work, while we watched dumb stuff on TV.

I finished my chicken soup this morning with 3 quarts. That brings my 24 hour total to 32 jars (of four different things)! cheer

I also did an empty jar count. I have 9 dozen regular mouth quarts in the attic. Downstairs I have about a dozen quarts, a dozen pints and 3 dozen half-pints. I need more pints. They are a good size for many meals I make.

I have a load of canned turkey in the canner now. ...at days'end...soon as it is done, I'm going to bed! LOL

I just took 13 quarts of butternut squash out of the canner, brining my squash total to 51 quarts...Two more buckets to go. My hands hurt, those things are meanies!

Mom11, I hear ya...I have a bushel of butternut to go yet! (peeling is a pain)

Last night I canned turkey. Today I can another turkey in the form of turkey soup. So...off to chop carrots and such.

Also today---a small batch of jam---was given enough frozen blackraspberries over the weekend for another batch of jam. (just when I thought I was done with jam, LOL) ::::::Thanks Uncle Herbie!!:::::::

I have been keeping busy every weekend. I have been doing my canning at my mothers house, and it's something we both enjoy doing, and it gives us some one-on-one time. Also, with the AA canner that I bought, I don't think my stove would be able to regulate it very well. I have an old electric stove and the only large burner has 2 settings burn, and off.

Over the past couple of months, we have done corn, salsa, marinara, meat sauce, and on Monday we did a batch of beef stew. I think we are going to do pea soup next, and I am just waiting for a good deal on pork so I can do some BBQ pulled pork.

I'll see if I can get some pics of what I have done so far.

I did more raw pack chicken tonight - 7 pints (8 thighs & 1 whole chicken-7 pounds total). Only this time, I added a ton of garlic cloves to each jar - about 7 or 8 cloves per pint. rofl I LOVE garlic and garlic chicken. feedme

Originally Posted By: HSmom
I did more raw pack chicken tonight - 7 pints (8 thighs & 1 whole chicken-7 pounds total). Only this time, I added a ton of garlic cloves to each jar - about 7 or 8 cloves per pint. rofl I LOVE garlic and garlic chicken. feedme

Will you come and feed me some of your garlic chicken broth when I have a cold, please?

I think I'm sick of corn. I did three canner loads (12 pints each) of plain, and one load each of corn-tomato-bellpepper, corn-onion-bellpepper, corn-onion-bellpepper-pimento, corn-mexicanspice, and one waterbath canner load (16 pints)of corn relish. There are twelve trays of corn in the dehydrator, too...and I got so sick of it, I froze the rest.

I get you Susie! I did 115 pints of corn and 20 pints of corn relish...What a mess!

Today I did a double batch of the marinara sauce, with meat, posted on Canning USA...It was chop, chop, chop...all evening long and there were three of us chopping! A friend picked a BAD night to visit! I have it all dumped into three crock pots, to cook down overnight and PC in the morning...CUZ then I have 5 batches of CAT'S Blender Pizza Sauce all ready to get dumped into the crock pots, soon as I dump the marinara sauce into jars. The pizza sauce can cook down, while I go buy MORE tomatoes! Still want to can tomato soup and the Tangerine Chili posted on the Canning USA site.

Blender pizza sauce!!?? Where?

I'm too lazy to cook down tomatoes...so I freeze them and then let them thaw and all the water goes out of them and you get thick sauce.

With any luck, we'll be going to the pick-your-own place this weekend and getting enough green tomatoes for salsa, mincmeat, and plain slices. This year, I'd like to try green tomato ketchup, as the green tomato salsa was SO good last year.

Originally Posted By: susie
I'm too lazy to cook down tomatoes...so I freeze them and then let them thaw and all the water goes out of them and you get thick sauce.
Are you kiddin' me? Is it really that easy? I've stooped to buying tomato sauce in #10 cans. If you're right, I can reform my ways next garden. grin
Originally Posted By: HSmom
Originally Posted By: susie
Are you kiddin' me? Is it really that easy? I've stooped to buying tomato sauce in #10 cans. If you're right, I can reform my ways next garden. grin

It really is that easy. I freeze tomatoes whole and unpeeled, and then just chuck them into whatever I need tomatoes in (chili, soup, spaghetti, whatever).

If I want to peel them (I usually don't even bother), I run them under hot water for a sec. If I want concentrated flavour, I let them sit on the drainboard and the end up looking like sad shadows of their former selves...all sunken and hollow-cheeked....cause the water drains away. I never usually bother peeling them, but just hit them with my blenderwand and voila!

If you want to peel them, do it while they're still frozen and then put them into a strainer to drain, cause they get all soft and squishy, even with the peels still on.

Susie...Here's CAT's Blender Pizza Sauce:

5 Quarts, unpeeled, cut up tomatoes...I didn't cut them up, just used the immersion blender.

1 Green pepper

1 Onion

4 Bay leaves

1 Tsp. Pepper

1 Tsp. Chili powder

1 Tsp. Garlic

2 Tsp. Basil

4 Tsp. Salt

1 Tsp. sugar

1 Tsp. Paprika

1 Tsp. Oregano

Blend the veggies, add the spices...Bake in 325 degree oven for 2-3 hours.

I processed it in pints, for 35 mins...In the PC.

We added extra sugar, cuz these chicks like a sweet pizza sauce. I also cooked it down in the crock pots, since there was so much...But I made 5 recipes at once. It wasn't as thick as I wanted it, so I added 7 small cans of tomato paste. I had 35 pints and each one should be enough for 2 pizzas.

The recipe called for thickening with Clear Jel or cornstarch, but I didn't want to do that, so used tomato paste.

Good luck!

Archived