MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Now I'm canning... (1)

Cat

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Originally Posted By: mom11
Susie...Here's CAT's Blender Pizza Sauce:

5 Quarts, unpeeled, cut up tomatoes...I didn't cut them up, just used the immersion blender.
1 Green pepper
1 Onion
4 Bay leaves
1 Tsp. Pepper
1 Tsp. Chili powder
1 Tsp. Garlic
2 Tsp. Basil
4 Tsp. Salt
1 Tsp. sugar
1 Tsp. Paprika
1 Tsp. Oregano

Blend the veggies, add the spices...Bake in 325 degree oven for 2-3 hours.

I processed it in pints, for 35 mins...In the PC.

We added extra sugar, cuz these chicks like a sweet pizza sauce. I also cooked it down in the crock pots, since there was so much...But I made 5 recipes at once. It wasn't as thick as I wanted it, so I added 7 small cans of tomato paste. I had 35 pints and each one should be enough for 2 pizzas.

The recipe called for thickening with Clear Jel or cornstarch, but I didn't want to do that, so used tomato paste.

Good luck!

I'm planning to try this pizza sauce. Is this the original recipe? Because I don't see anywhere where it says to use clear jel. Plus, does it have to be pressure canned? I thought tomato based sauces could be water bath canned.
Stacy

Here's the original post, with discussion about cornstarch...

http://www.mrssurvival.com/forums/ubbthr...true#Post103540

I think elsewhere we discussed using Clear-Jel.

When you use recipes like this that are adjusted to someone's tastes, they really *should* be pressure canned. Just adding extra onions can change the PH (acidity). crazy

Otherwise, use only approved and tested recipes and follow them as instructed.

bighug

No products should be thickened before canning except the pie fillings and jams.

Clear jel is only approved for use in the pie fillings or jams.

No tomato products are safe to thicken before canning.

Also, the sauces are not just tomatoes, they have low acid vegetables which makes the whole product low acid, requiring a pressure canner.

Be sure it is not too thick and dense for canning, also. You need to have the heat safely penetrate the foods. The recipes for cooking and canning are not the same.

I agree, use safe, tested canning recipes from reliable sources, such as the Ball Blue book or any of the USDA/extension recipes. There are many well meaning folks who print books on canning and put recipes online that are not safety tested for canning.

Ok--I have not posted here and I have meant to. I keep thinking...after I get this canned, or after I get that canned...and then there's always something else to can. rollingeyes So I am posting now-now remember this is for the whole summer. And then I will keep up from now on-PROMISE! grin

I keep this list on the fridge and add to it when I get more done:

40 pints and 19 (3/4) pints-radish relish

5 quarts-mustard greens

2 quarts-green beans

14 quarts-cucumbers

20 pints-thousand island pickles

12 pints-mustard pickles

8 pints-hot bread and butter pickles

7 quarts-smoked turkey broth

63 quarts-tomato juice

140 pints-salsa

17 quarts-beef/vege soup

7 quarts-beef

6 pints-salmon

6 pints-beef liver

8 pints-pork/mushroom soup

That's it as of today, more tomarrow.....

3 quarts shredded zucchini

13 (1/2 pints) caponata stuff

The caponata stuff (thanks Ao5 grin ) is like a tapenade. Made it with bell pepper, mushrooms, eggplant, zucchini, garlic and some oregano and basil. Have 12 left-we ate one the other morning mixed in a breakfast scramble. yumyum

Next: turtle soup and oxtail soup. clap

Originally Posted By: Necie
The caponata stuff (thanks Ao5 grin ) is like a tapenade. Made it with bell pepper, mushrooms, eggplant, zucchini, garlic and some oregano and basil. Have 12 left-we ate one the other morning mixed in a breakfast scramble. yumyum

I don't know what caponata is, nor tapenade. I do however enjoy a 'big ole mess of vegetables,' with eggs or otherwise. How about posting the recipe under the recipes forum? grin

I don't really have a 'recipe'. I used a site that Kayla posted on a chat: http://basic-recipes.com/r/cap/index.htm --as a reference, but I was cleaning out the freezers and had some eggplant, zucchini, mushrooms and LOTS of bell pepper. So I just ground them all up along with a bunch of garlic and added the herbs and oil and canned it. It's kinda like a spread or a relish, or I figure I can toss it with pasta or toss into eggs or really anything that I want some flavor-sloppy joes, goulash, chili, soups....

Here's definitions from Wiki on Pesto, Tapenade, and Caponata.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pesto

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tapenade

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Caponata

And one of my favorite recipe sites: www.cooks.com

I haven't tried it, but I'm sure if you type any of these in, that there will be many.

• 4 weeks later...

4 qts. beef stew, 6 pints of Great Northern beans, 2 of the latter which did not seal. But I also made a pot of pork, beans & tomatoes- seasoned, so I may just toss the unsealed ones in the mix as well & will do those up tomorrow. Will post pics later, tomorrow after I finish up.

THNX, Violet! Funny thing, the night before I started these, I was reading my Blue book. I always like to read the recipe before I can it, and Hubba says "Your 'other' Bible?" LOL

I also canned a mix of GN beans, pork, some maters & spices on Friday, but I put them up & plum forgot to take a pic!

• 3 weeks later...

Canned 7 quart jars of applesauce yesterday. Heard that ping! 7 times! The nice thing about it this time is I didn't have to keep checking the book every 2 seconds. I remembered how to do everything..much easier this time.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived