MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Now I'm canning... (1)

Cat

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

yesterday 14 qts of winter squash and that took me all day...I must be slow...

Nothing done today...I went over neighbors last night to play and for the first time in my life I'm hung over. sofa

I do deserve it but, it would have been nice for God to listen to my prays...

It went like this...Dear Lord please let me throw up...I'll never do it again. ewww

My week total was 30 quarts of butternut squash, 13 quarts/9 pints of marinara/meat sauce, 4 quarts, double concentrated grape juice, 4 quarts/53 pints CAT's blender pizza sauce, and 10 quarts of rhubarb/apple/strawberry pie filling.

Last night, Emma and I chopped 8 quarts of baby red and yellow peppers, one of my Mennonite friends gave us. They had just pulled up their pepper plants and said I could glean the garden. I was actually looking for big red peppers for roasted red pepper sauce, but these will be fine for a couple more batches of the meat marinara sauce.

We also made and froze 4 batches of roasted red pepper sauce, froze 25lbs. of tomatoes for tangerine chili, and 30lbs. for the next batches of meat marinara.

We aren't canning tonight...We're building miniature Roman weapons!!!

I read that you were out of pint jars...

I just wanted to tell you that I haven't payed to a canning jar in two years.

Freecycle.com

Their you can give away or ask for something you need...The whole idea is to keep the land fills from collecting what other may still use.

Just sign up and you can either offer or want just about anything.

Ex: Dschrader Wanted: Canning Jars (Rock Tavern)

Your user name comes up and you either want or offer a product...

Their is also a place to explain what exactly you need and maybe why.

I wrote.

Wanted: Canning Jars (Rock Tavern)

I looking for Canning jars. All sizes...Wide mouth, regular pints, quarts, jelly. If you have canning jars just collecting dust I would put them to great use.

Thanks

That's about it...When I run low I just ask for more and someone always has them lying around. Last trip took me 30 minutes to drive and I came home with about 10 to 11 cases...All sizes. I had to bring the box and she was so sweet and asked me if I mined cleaning them...Told her it was part of canning.

Hope this helps and if you already knew about Freecycle.com Sorry to bother you.

Take care

Debbie

Welp, my pork has been going since about 12:30 am (It was 10 pounds not 8!!!). It's just about done. I decided since I was in there, might as well do spags sauce too. I decided to just do the meatless sauce & add meat later when we open them (my dudes like a meatless spags sometimes). So I've got both cooking, my house smells DIVINE! And I should have everything done by 1 or 2!!!

Doing spaghetti sauce now. First load in canner....looks like whole thing will wind up to be about 30 pints. Aint2nuts called me while I was cooking sauce! LOL :::::::Hey Angela...I'll have to send ya some!:::::

• 2 weeks later...

I did 36 pints of tomato soup yesterday and 7 pints today. Also today, I canned 25 pints of pickled banana peppers. I bought 75lbs. of tomatoes for $12, five gallons of banana peppers for $5, and a half bushel of red and green peppers for $3.

Mom11, you are sure busy ! I am happy for you that you are getting such good deals.

I am drying apples today. Also trying to make homemade cream cheese, but so far it tastes more like ricotta. Oh well, fun to try anyway.

Nice to read what everyone is preserving.

I find making yoghurt and draining it in a cloth gets me very close to cream cheese.

I put my canner away now and then because my husband wants to kill me with the mess I make...Also when I'm canning dinners always late. If you saw my kitchen while I'm canning you would just throw the kitchen away and get a new one. rofl

I need more burners.. Four isn't enough and my pots are so big, that one pot take up two burners. canning

So when I finally clean up the canning mess it's time to clean my house, as well as Laundry laundry, clothesline vacuming vacuuming, dishes washing the floor, kids, lawn, bills, dust, wash, sanitize ect ect...

I'm sure as I get a little more experiance, I'll can faster and find ways to cut back on the pots...I'm very slow right now because I check everything twice to make sure I'm not going to kill us.

I'm just a messy person..Oh. I clean all the time, cause I can stand my house to be a mess but that doesn't stop me from making a huge mess.

twister

Archived