MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Greetings from the East Coast

cannedgoods

Hello all. I work, have a few young kids, and I'm just here to surf and learn. Gardening interests me. I'm knew to it, but I particularly like the WWI/WWII war/victory gardening view. I'll be starting a garden in the spring that I want to learn and build on. Each year I want to produce a bit more of the family's total food needs. Groceries are going up, and having food in your backyard just seems like a good thing.

Welcome. I too would love to have a garden and grow some of my own food. i liked the victory garden idea as well. I am hoping to be moved by next summer so I can put a garden in, but for now I live in an upstairs apartment in town with no yard. I will find a place I can have my garden by next year. I too am trying to learn all I can and this is a great site to learn.

welcome5 Cannedgoods!!!!

Gardening is the way to go with food prices always getting higher. Soon we will have you canning and dehydrating in no time. grin

Ask questions, we'd love to help ya!!

bighug

wormie

John

With the prices of groceries now I call them survival gardens. The drought really hurt our garden this summer and the freeze got our fruit trees. Will be putting in our lazy man's potato bed asap, onions, and cleaning/fertilizing the asparagas bed. If your land is not too wet go ahead and till it now. If you have mulch put it in so it will be rotted by spring. Some veggies like acidic/base soil so don't put it all over. Our sweet potatoes did fairly well and we are enjoying them. I have tractor/plow for making a bed but they are easily grown in much more convienent ways. Worth the work, wc

Hee hee I love your name, Cannedgoods.

Welcome to Mrs. S! I think you will enjoy it here as much as I do.

I love the way a lot of the threads here evolve into many new ways around old problems! Sometimes, threads get a little off track, but keep reading, because sometimes the juciest fruit is buried where you least expect it!

Mais cher! Don't miss out! apple.gif

Welcome to one of the most progressive "all-purpose" survivalist sites on the Internet. dance013.gif Be sure to check out the for-members-only sections downstairs!

--Sharon

welcome3 You kinda got lost in the days-before-Christmas shuffle!

I don't mean to be nosy, but I'm wondering about how old those young kids are, and about how much land you have to work with. And which state (no need for more... safety first on the internet! wink )?

I do have reasons for asking. happy02

Depending on how old the kids are, we might have helpful suggestions for getting them involved.

For example, little ones like to see what's happening, and a "windowsill" starter garden even *now* can get them excited and teach them what happens to seeds as they grow. It may also stop them from pulling up the seedlings in the actual garden because you'll be able to SHOW them what happens to sprouts that are pulled up from their "bed".

Little ones also like to have their own little corner of the garden (tied 'round with a string to mark it as "theirs"!) to plant their own seeds. This is their own choice of seeds, and they tend it like Mommy does. Keeps them from walking over the other less sturdy garden, too, sometimes. And you'll be surprised what they'll eat if it's *THEIRS*! eek

Plus they'll get an up-close-and-personal lesson about bugs, too. I love the bugs; many are beneficial, but even the ones that aren't, are interesting to study. Great nature lessons!

Knowing which area of the country you're in may help us come up with good ideas for growing things and when to (usually) plant (depends on the current weather).

Are you interested in preserving foods, like canning, freezing, or drying/dehydrating? You can dehydrate in ovens, carefully, and so you could play with that even now. We have lots of good info to help.

Ask away... the time to prepare is NOW... get your mind around it and think it through. And we can help!

And most seed catalogs are *FREE*!!! Ask for them now!! (See "The Orchard" for list!)

bighug

Archived