MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Practice Preps-Colds and Flu

Mother

There is no doctor or medical facility available and you or your family members show symptoms of cold or flu.

How would you assess and treat this situation?

bighug

Good, simple, well-defined scenario.

As we all know, there's little that can be done by traditional medicine to 'cure' a cold. Basic thorough handwashing (emphasis on thorough) is the best preventive measure.

So, what's the big problem with cold. Mainly, it's the congestion, cough and some element of aching pain. Aspirin, Acetaminophen (Tylenol) or Ibuprofen (Motrin) can relieve some of the effects of the fever and pain. Rest is probably the most essential part even though it does leave us feeling vulnerable and maybe even 'guilty' for not being as active as we ordinarily are especially in dire straits. And it's what your body needs most. Along with good fluid intake that can be depleted from less than normal intake as well as fever radiating body fluids off.

Steamy showers can help with some of the congestion. It opens up the small bronchioles in the lungs which facilitates open breathing and helps us cough out gunk. But who can stand in a shower all day, right? I guess the yeti? pots might bring some relief but I've never tried it so I dunno for sure.

Old folks (back in the day prior to current meds) used something called 'skunk oil'. Somebody might be able to come up with a recipe for it but it doesn't sound very appealing to me. Some sort of turpentine concoction was also used. I dunno about that in detail either but the 'thickness' of turpentine as well as the aromatic component make sense to me in principle. Folks also used something called a 'powdered mustard plaster' on a cloth for relief. Sounds like the same principle at work. Also, boiled turnip root combined with Maple Syruple and brandy is supposed to help when ingested. I do know that my Grandmother (who lived through the depression with kids) used Mentholatum on me more than I liked. The menthol aroma and the 'burning' heat from the Mentholatum (as well as the 'thick' gooey nature of it) really did work to open up my chest when I was a kid whether I liked it or not.

Honey has particularly interesting qualities when used in controlling coughing spasms. Coats the tissue which decreases the impulse to cough without being drugged which decreases some of the body aches. Good stuff and especially when it's the unprocessed 'white' honey.

The grand old elixir of Bourbon, Honey and Lemon together really does work and makes sense medically. The bourbon relaxes and calms, the honey coats and the lemon has vitamin C as well as other healing effects. And it makes the whole thing go down a bit easier. Also, a combination of tea (disperses the mixture into the system quicker), OJ, Lemon, bourbon and honey is also good probably for the same reasons.

Carrots (vit A), Tomatoes (vit C) and Garlic (antimicrobial action) all make sense. Mint also works to soothe the beast and calm nerves and tissue that is irritated because of the cough.

Black elderberry seems to be one of the best flu fighters and has properties that help with colds as well. It can be gotten in the pure form that's cooked down or in extract. It's also a major component of Sambucol which can be found in lozenges etc when stocking up.

The adage is that if you treat a cold, it will get better in 7 days. If you don't treat it, you can expect a week. Either way, rest and fluids are essential. And they really DO feel crummy so be nice cough

• 2 weeks later...

Turpentine oil or pine tree oil can be put on a rag and tied to the bedstead at night to help open up the congestion and make it easier to breathe. That's an ole time remedy.

the mustard plaster is done by making up a thick paste of mustard powder and putting on a hot cloth, wrapping that into a warm cloth and laying against the chest. The second cloth is to prevent a *blistering* of the chest.

rofl Screaming Eagle, I think you might mean a neti pot. A yeti is an abominable snowman.

But that's a really good idea. I have friends who quit having sinus infections after starting to use them. If you don't want to spring for a pot, you could try using a syringe of water or dilute saline. Supposed to really help with environmental allergies.

• 7 months later...

what is a neti pot? is it worse than the abdominal snowman? just joking! lol but I have never heard of a neti pot. I am so prone to respiratory troubles, and my husband to sinus infections... maybe i'll go check out the neti pots on the web?

Keeping stocked up on garlic is a good thing. Great for fighting colds and flu. Extra vit. C and D is good too. We use a lot of menthol vapor rubs for congestion, and head for the cold med. when the vapor rubs aren't working well.

Hot soups are a favorite for comfort, healing, and the steam from a hot mug of soup helps with congestion too. Same principal with hot teas, and these can help with sore throats too.

Great thread!

okay, just checked out neti pots, and nasal irrigation, on wikipedia...i wonder how it FEELS to actually do this? I am worrried it might be like when I was a kid in the swimming pool and water went up my nose sometimes -- what an awful feeling!

has anyone here ever used a neti pot or similar thing?

I have a neti pot and it works great. Actually, the one I have is more like a squirt bottle but it uses the same solution that a neti pot uses. I had it for over 5 months before I used it because I was skeptical. I bought it at CVS pharmacy for about $10. I get sinus infections a LOT, antibiotics is usually the only thing that clears it up quickly.

I have been in a situation where I had no health insurance and did not go to a doctor when I was sick. Without antibiotics I suffered with a sinus infection for a long time. I have insurance now, but I didnt for about 3 yrs when I first was divorced.

I have stocked antibiotics along with a ton of over the counter medications, just in case.

Originally Posted By: pricklypear
okay, just checked out neti pots, and nasal irrigation, on wikipedia...i wonder how it FEELS to actually do this? I am worrried it might be like when I was a kid in the swimming pool and water went up my nose sometimes -- what an awful feeling!
has anyone here ever used a neti pot or similar thing?

It is not the most pleasant feeling...it can make you gag...but you kind of get used to it. The thing is that they really do work.
  • 2 weeks later...

Oh good a simple one... at first sign of cold start giving orange juice and oranges... oh crap its TSHTF and we don't have any. Ok dig out the supply of Emergen-C. Start giving Emergen-C to everyone. Make sure we're getting vitamins and sodium ascorbte every day. Keep mucus out of kids noses with nasal aspirator and saline drops to prevent congestion. Give dd cough drops if needed. Keep them dressed warm. Salt water gargle if sore throats. Give cough or cold meds if needed from first aid kit. Hope this thing passes and doesn't become pneumonia!

Archived