MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

What is CBS Thinking?!?

Shepherd

Last night, I saw this new show they've been advertising called "Dexter". I was horrified as I watched it, realizing that the star of the weekly show is a serial killer.

He has flashbacks to being a child and apparently having these odd 'urges' to kill, maim, harm, torture... and his father who loves him, tries to help him control it but at one point his father says it's ok - just use it for good. His son (Dexter) looks confused and asks how something like this could be used for good. His father tells him the police can't get ALL the bad guys.

The show shows him torturing and killing people. I am really stunned that CBS would even put something like this on TV. I wish I knew how we could get word to them that this is not acceptable - but if they're already airing it, they must not agree. What are they thinking?!?

Last year they had a new show out called Jericho. It was a great show. All our friends, family, and neighbors would anxiously plan to watch it every week! Then we found out they were going to discontinue the show! This was the first really GOOD show we felt was on network TV in years and they were going to end it? Well CBS was bombarded by Jericho "nuts" (fans) who kept writing in... and now the show is back on the air, thankfully.

Maybe we could convince them the same way that "Dexter" is just not acceptable!

Use murder and torture for good? faint2.gif

I couldn't help but be reminded of this:

Isaiah 5:20-21

20 Woe to those who call evil good

and good evil,

who put darkness for light

and light for darkness,

who put bitter for sweet

and sweet for bitter.

21 Woe to those who are wise in their own eyes

and clever in their own sight.

Any idea what is the best way to reach the ppl making the decisions here? Email? Website??

May God help us all....pray.gif

I had a feeling when they had parental guidance listed for it that it was NOT a good thing. They don't do that for all the sex and other murder type shows so I was afraid this one was exceptionally bad.

Good gried!!!

I saw that an was flabbergasted.

It is one thing to explore the dark side of human nature (Silence of the Lambs). It is quite another to glorify it by making the serial killer the ... "hero"?!?!?!

I would say I will boycott the show, but I don't have TV! LOL!

Really awful programming and having to PAY to get it is why. I guess this is just another good reason not to get it.

For those who do have TV, it would seem that an activist sort of campaign might do the trick. It has worked before, getting networks to pull other really awful shows. So get out your pens and paper, or fire off those emails, or call your local station. The more fuss raised, the more likely such garbage will be pulled.

I have no idea other than to try and find out how to email CBS directly... I was hoping someone here would have some ideas. Here's a direct link to their site which tells about the show: http://www.cbs.com/primetime/dexter/ so you can get first hand info on it. They have a "wiki" which is where the Jericho fans got their attention originally I believe. But the "wiki" for each show is for actual fans; I'd be the opposite of a fan.

Ahhh after further searching I see it's a Showtime program that CBS has taken for their broadcasts.

So I'll keep digging and hopefully some of you have some better ideas how to get their attention. Besides contacting their advertisers, I'm not sure how to proceed.

I read in the paper a few weeks ago that CBS was bringing this show from cable. They said that normally they wouldn't put it on regular tv, but since there is a shortage of programming due to the writers strike, that they were going to try it out on the network.

At least they didn't put it on at 7 or 8 pm. I noticed that lately alot of "adult" shows are on at 7. Some of the alleged comedy shows are on then too. I saw that show "2 and 1/2 men" for a few minutes once. I couldn't believe it was on so early when kids would be watching.

From the blurb I read about the show, he kills people who "deserve" it. Charming. I mean, here in the land of the red neck, we truly understand that sometimes "he needed killin'." And no one sheds any tears if some bad guy gets shot breaking into someone's home (though that is REALLY rare here - lots of guns here). Still, to make a hero of someone who goes around killing bad guys for fun is sick. Of course, the show is not intended for children, and comes with a warning, so parents are certainly free to exercise some parental control and either change the channel or turn off the box and play board games, card games, or read. But be that a it may, for those who wish to voice their opinion, there is always the option of calling or writing the local station. Enough calls to local stations sometimes makes them decide to air something else when a major broadcaster airs something too controversial for their local viewers.

If you want to get through to CBS, I doubt an email would really work. But if that is your medium of choice, give this a try. Click on this link:

http://www.cbs.com/info/user_services/info...ntact_us.shtml#

Then, on the left, click on feedback.

You could send them snail mail at this address:

Les Moonves

President and CEO of CBS Television

CBS Television Network

51 West 52nd Street

New York, NY 10019

Or, you could watch the show and make note of all the advertisers. Then write to those and tell them that you are going to be encouraging a boycott. That tactic has worked in the past, if organized. Personally, I'd rather turn off the tube, but some folks get more in an uproar and want to protect society, and that's their right.

I am happy I dont have cable or satellite or anything.

I will add my voice to yours!

Archived