MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Miracle Whip question

Went to store to re-stock some Miracle Whip and nearly fainted! The 48 oz. jar (plastic) was 8.00!! Kind of interesting that the 32 oz. is 3.00 versus the 48.... Put it back, then put in cart to have the clerk re-check the price - that was it! Left it, but she said go to Costco. I need to go to Costco soon, but before I get a large container of Miracle Whip need to know if I can put it in smaller containers and into extra frig? How long will it keep? We use it, but just two of us and we don't use it that quickly. Help!

Pansy, the best I could find *so far* was that you can't freeze foods that use mayonnaise, but you can freeze them if you use Miracle Whip. shrug

Since that's not really what you asked, I'll just tell you my experience.

I've kept Miracle Whip for a long time... as in a forgotten jar left in the back of the fridge. As long as it doesn't have that yellowish dried stuff (like old mayonnaise gets) on top, I've used it, and I've never seen it get dried up. It must have plenty of "emulsifiers" and preservatives in it.

If I were re-packaging it, I'd use pint jars and fill them to the top to keep out air, "tapping it down" on my hands (you know... getting the air pockets out).

That said, I'm going to try freezing a couple of dabs to see what happens to it. wink Maybe freezing would keep it longer...?

bighug

Pansy,

Maybe you could find someone to split a bigger jar with?

Just a thought...some things are so much cheaper to buy in large quantities that even if a person gives some away they are still getting a better deal (if it is something that would go bad otherwise).

Having said that, I do divide our gallon size jars of salad dressing/mayo into smaller jars each time we open one. We also put some in squirt bottles (type for ketchup/mustard) for the kiddos to use when making their school lunches. This saves a ton of mess!

Those smaller jars of dressings do seem to keep just about forever though. Maybe you could make a lot of summertime style pasta salads when you have an excess? That can burn up large amounts quickly, even just for two people.

ymmv....

Thanks to one and all - great answers for me to do. Virginia - my excuse (and I am sticking to it) hubby's surgery yesterday - my brain was on overload! Incidentally he came through (back surgery) with flying colors and I am on my way to hospital in a few minutes. Just had to check to see what answers I got from all you wonderful people on this site! Thanks again.

• 3 weeks later...

Ill look up my recipe for homemade Miracle Whip (a pretty good clone). I make mine sans salt when I stick to my diet like Im supposed to....Its easy and disgustingly cheap to make.

Might be a bit before I get back to you though, I use the library computers.

Hope I don't miss the recipe when you post it. Might pm me if don't mind , just in case. bouquet I can't tell much difference between all of them and not fussy but DH will only eat MW.

*wringing hands in glee - vision of saving store bought jar with label intact and not saying a word* whistling

I would love a miracle whip recipe also. I make my own mayonaise but I wouldn't mind a recipe that was a clone to MW. it's what I usually eat. I need to find a Helman's mayonaise recipe also. My family prefers that.

bighug

In response to Mother's post, posted after this one, I've removed the link I had here. I was a little daunted earlier today and privately PM'd the link to Pansy but decided to put it here a bit ago. I didn't see that it said it might link to other sites so after reading Mother's question I think she's right so I just got rid of it.

Thanks Dee. But I felt a bit like a criminal getting into it. It said the Helman's recipe was free but I had to sign a user agreement to get into it and THAT was kind of daunting cause it said it might link to OTHER sites????? Have you been in here without problems?

bighug

Thanks Westy. Surprisingly enough, these are very similar to how I make my mayonaise but it doesn't turn out like miracle whip and it's got a whole lot more calories than MW does. Tasty though and certainly a substitute.

bighug

I did not know that Miracle Whip was not mayonnaise until I got married (young, of course). That's all my Mom ever bought, and anyone else we know, too. It was referred to as mayonnaise!

I learned fast that DH does not like Miracle whip and that there was another mayonnaise! shocked

I don't eat MW.. don't like it at all. I remember the first time I was given a sandwich with MW on it.. I was too polite to say any thing.. but it was the worst thing I had ever tasted... still is.

Now store bought MW.. heard rumor a decade ago that MW didn't need refrigeration. The family lived in a tent and had no utilities. They just left it out. Not sure how that would go over in my 100+ heat in the summer but since I don't use MW, I will never know.

The saving the jar and label and refilling it does work really well...been there, done that...at least the first few times I try and end run around my budget...

HOMEMADE MIRACLE WHIP

I tried this one when I had to eat low salt foods, and was DYING for Miracle Whip. It’s OK without the salt, but superb with it, and quite a good copy....

3/4 c flour

1/2 c sugar

1 c water

3/4 c vinegar

3/4c oil

1 TB lemon juice

pinch of salt (or substitute)

1/2 tsp prepared mustard

1 egg plus water to make 1/2 cup

Cook flour, sugar, water and vinegar in a double boiler until very thick, stirring occasionally. Meanwhile, separately combine remaining ingredients. Drop thickened mixture by spoonfuls into egg and oil mixture and beat smooth. Makes nearly a quart.

My husband won't eat anything but MW, but he says this stuff is good...high praise!

Archived