MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Huge Winter Storm (check in please!)

cookiejar

Okay, whose out in it? frozen

Everyone okay? Apparently the Ohio valley is now the Snow Bowl.West Virginia, Ohio, Indiana, where is everyone? You okay?

Check in please!

snip

COLUMBUS, Ohio (AP) -- Snowplows and cleanup crews will be working overtime Sunday to dig out of a record-setting snowstorm that buried Ohio's capital city and many parts of Ohio and Indiana.

The winter storm dumped more than 20 inches of snow on Columbus on Saturday, while blizzard conditions shut down highways and stranded air travelers in the region.

The storm eventually swept into the East Coast, battering Pennsylvania and New Jersey with a line of thunderstorms. By early Sunday, tens of thousands were left without electric power.

High winds in Ohio whipped the snow into 3-foot-tall drifts in some places and cut visibility to less than a quarter mile, the National Weather Service said.

"It's horrible out there right now," said 58-year-old Carman Bonfiglio, a FedEx Corp. driver who was stranded at a truck stop in Sunbury, about 20 miles northeast of Columbus.

"Trucks are just spinning right here. In my days of driving I've never seen anything like it."

"We will get through this," Gov. Ted Strickland said Saturday. "The snow will stop, the wind will cease, and the sun will shine. But until that happens we need to be smart, take care of ourselves and attempt to be helpful to others."

The storm, which rolled in Friday, dumped 20.4 inches of snow on Columbus, breaking the city's previous record of 15.3 inches set in February 1910, the weather service said. Cincinnati and Cleveland received about a foot of snow.

We only got about a foot of snow up here by Rochester NY. The hail and sleet was impressive Saturday, then it turned back to howling wind and snow. Houses up here are built for this, and I know enough to keep my trees well trimmed and to get the dead branches down each fall. We just got to watch a spectacular storm go through.

I sat here all weekend, warm cozy and safe knowing I had food and fuel enough for anything Mother Nature cared to do. The power, gas and water supply stayed just fine though. My cold is even better now

I know why my grain mill is late though - it was apparently on the stuck UPS truck! It was supposed to get here Saturday and was going through Ohio to get to me.

Here in southern Ontario we got 25-30 cm. I think that's 12-15 inches but I'm not sure.

We shoveled several times yesterday and were up early this morning digging out so we could be at church on time. Everyone was involved in worship band or I would have rolled over and gone back to sleep! awwman

Right now the sun is shining - someone please tell me Spring is coming!!

Northern Ohio here and we got clobbered. Almost 3 feet! This snow was light and dry so it didn't tax the power lines too bad. I was ready for it and don't have to go anywhere. We are used to snow so the snow plows get out early and know what they are doing. The problem is getting people to stay home so they can do their job. Some towns were on emergency alert. If people went out they would be fined and could have their car impounded. Going to work and emergency travel only. Nothing was open anyway.

I do pretty well though. The kids around the corner from me started a plowing business 4 years ago and I use them. They started with a snow blade on a 4 wheeler and now they have a nice truck with a snow plow on it. They are great kids and are saving for college. A couple of times they couldn't make it because they both were sick so their dad made the rounds. I have a feeling when they both go off to college the dad will take over. A lot of people in our neighborhood use them and they make great money!

I was just praying the power would stay on. It did! That is the only way I would have problems. I have plenty of food and firewood but if the electricity goes off it would get pretty cold in the house even with the fireplace. And the pipes might freeze.

Even though it was a bad storm...it is beautiful.

It has been such a fun couple of days. I think we have about a foot and a half of snow, but I am not positive. It is deffinately atleast a foot. I got called into work Friday night. Being a fool, I went in. Coming home Saturday morning I got stuck in the parking lot. I had to be dug out and pushed about 10 feet before my tires could grab enough to keep going. (I think I need a better vehicle for winter driving. My Taurus is just too low to the ground and the snow was higher than my undercarriage. It couldn't plow through that snow.) Well, I slipped and slided all of the way home. When I was almost home I stopped to help dig someone else that was stuck out. Then I got to where I lived. I live on an alley. I got stuck turning in to the alley. My brother started to help dig me out, but couldn't get it pushed enough to go through. We live in a small town (acutally a village) so the city workers are helpful in a small town sort of way. The snow plow was going by, so they helped push me back out on to the street and I circled around the block while they replowed the alley. Finally I made it home. I had to work again that night and again got stuck trying to get to work. It took 45 minutes and three people pushing to get me dug out and pushed on to the road. Our alley has a dip at both ends where it goes out into the street. I have front wheel drive and the front wheels got stuck in that little dip buried in snow. That is when I decided that I like my taurus but probably need to have a good winter travel car for back up by next winter. We are doing fine now. Still have to go to work again in about an hour, but the roads look much better. I think I won't have trouble going out tonight. This is the most snow we have had in quite a few years.

Yeah it here too! We had to drive in it though, My 3 yo Liddy fell of a chair at the dentist on Friday. We took to the hospital but the doctor sent us home saying nothing was wrong, I wouldn't budge because I knew there was. I wouldn't leave him alone until he agreed to x-ray her, SHE HAD A BROKEN COLLAR BONE!!!! I was so angry at him I could spit!! But we all got home ok.

You go, MammaGoatLady! Poor little girl. Glad you could get to the hospital alright and you stood your ground.

The rest of you, be careful out there. As it begins to melt and freeze....

I landed on my butt today ...but that was just the melt/freeze we've been having all week. Since last Sunday, we've had about a foot and a half, but not all at once. Roads are staying pretty clear...even if my skating rink driveway isn't.

MtRider [springtime in the Rockies!]

My goodness! I can't wrap my southern brain around conditions like that! Be careful everyone...I can't imagine any business or school being open in that except for essential services.

Goatlady, sorry to hear about your daughter. I tell my patients it never hurts to be persistent if you know something is wrong. Then the worse that can happen is that you were wrong and everything is fine. Too often I will "know" something is wrong with one of my patients and will not be taken seriously. What happens, but they end up sending the patient out to the hospital because I was right. You know when something isn't right with someone who is not quite themself. You may not know what is wrong, but I trust instincts. Especially mother's instincts.

Our snow is melting, but I had even more trouble getting to and from work last night. The ice hit the roads and each time I went to stop, If ound I slid instead. But I am home sfely and don't intend to be going any place today. I told work not to bother calling me as the answer was already no.

bighugs to you and your little one GL!!!

We got our first real snow of the winter here in KY.

We recieved 8"!! star At times it was snowing so

hard the kids couldn't even go outside and play in it!

It was blizzard-like. crazy

Yesterday it was sunny and warm. Today the snow is almost

gone. At least the kids got to play in it for a few days.

I have a tip for you!! smile All of the stores were out of

salt. Even Walmart didn't even have any for their parking

lot. We have a wood stove and we usually sprinkle the ashes

on the garden but yesterday we sprinkled them on the driveway.

The snow was gone within an an hour or two!

bighug

Archived