MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Tornado in Maine

OldMaineBear

I just told Buttercup how I love Maine beacuse of the lack of tornados and what happens tonight. A tornado warning for my town. It passed south of us though so we were missed. I also said there were few earthquakes so I guess I better tie things down good and get ready for a shaking.

Hi OldMaineBear, I lived in earthquake country a long time. one of the things one can do is secure their cupboards and shelves with canning jars and glass stuff, as well as just to keep cans in place, is to use fishing line strung in front of the cans and jars,connected tightly to eyebolts or a screw so the line wont slip on each side of the shelves/cupboards. Also remove anything really heavy from high shelves. This includes all your favorite coffee cups! I hope you dont get a bigun, if you do, we will probably feel it here in NE upstate NY too! But they are possible. We just havent had one in about 300 yrs! ( I think its been that long, or as long as the French padres and Indians were around.... )

That nonslip shelf liner stuff works good for tv's and electronics too. Its sort of like rubber and grips good.

Good luck and I hope the tornado didnt cause anyone serious damage south of your town!.

LOL! OMB, never speak those things - they'll come true! wink

Glad you are OK. Twisters add such excitement to life!

lol

I hope it didn't throw a twister off until it got way out to sea. I watched the progress on Weather Radar all the way out over the Bay of Fundy and into the Gulf of Maine. t was about 30 miles south of us and crossed into Canada-eh. No reports yet (8:45PM). We had a small one here about 10 years ago that played havoc with all the outside displays at the stores. Lawn furniture all over the neighborhood. Maine gets several small ones a year as well as several dozen tremors, but overall nothing like other states get. We make up for it in blizzards and ice storms.

We had tornado warmings here tonight too OMB but of course, they aren't unusual here, sorry to say. We lost part of an apple tree but we don't use those apples so isn't a real loss, other than we hate to lose any trees.

We got an inch of rain but it's now cleared up and a beautiful but wet evening.

Hope the rest of your Saturday is good!!!

I have never heard of one in Maine either, but we did have a few when I was a kid. I can't remember if they were when I was in New Hampshire or in Massachusetts, but I remember one small one going straight down the middle of the street. It tore up road, but didn't touch a single building.

How far south of you was affected. I am only wondering because my cousin lives in York, did it get anywhere near there?

OMB, we have a flash flood and flood watch here. I live down in the lowest part of town where two creeks( that are around me, front and back actually) and the main river in this part of the adirondacks meets up with them about a block away. My BOB is ready to grab. Im going to take a nap later if its not too crazy with weather... supposed to be a good storm.

supposed to get bad in the afternoon and into the night, then its your turn again I'll wager.

Looks like we dodged the twirlies. Nothing touched down, or at least nothing reported.

Keep that BOB handy arby. I live high and dry from any flooding. We had two young folks killed by lightening the other day though. They stepped out to retreive a set of glasses a dog ran off with and got hit in their yard. Three small kids at home saw it. The man was 22 and the woman was 28. Happened in Standish, Maine way south of me.

That part of the state is getting hit today with heavy thunderstorms again. I suspect it's the one's arby was keeping an eye on yesterday.

GOODMORNINGDOGONSWING.gif

Glad you are ok.

I'm so sorry about those young people.

Will people never learn that lightening can kill. frown

Stay safe.

HAVEAHAPPYDAY-2.gifHUGS4-1.gif

I had a small twister touch down on my property this evening.

Thank God my home & animals are all ok, but my barn took a beating. The roof is now laying out in the back pasture.

It looks just like it did after the hurricanes of '04.

Thanks Stephanie!

It's so amazing. If you walk out on my porch now & look up the sky is clear. The frogs are "chirping" or whatever it is that frogs do, & it's a nice,pretty, cool night out there. You would never guess that just a few hours ago it was so nasty out.

Yes! Glad your family is ok! ( you really wanted the extra work outside didn't you ????) [OK, bad joke)... really very glad you all are ok. I would think it may take a while to fix the roof. I hope its very salvageable!

Archived