MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

why do you can food?

kathy003

I was thinking of canning peaches next week, this will be my first canning experience, and was looking at fruit stands to find prices on peaches. I found a place that sells a bushel of peaches for $19.00, the bushel is about 55 lbs they said. This comes out to about $2.89 per lb, unless my math is incorrect, which is very possible. My question is, this is more expensive than purchasing fruit in a can at the grocery store. So, if this is more expensive, why are people canning?

On the other hand, our local fruit market has peaches much cheaper, but smaller and the quality isn't as good. I am assuming quality matters.

it is just curiousity that i'm asking this. I've been reading about canning on this site for two days and it sounds like something I want to try. By trade, i'm a candlemaker, so the hot weather does not bother me,,, and in MI. it's not all that hot, surprisingly. And, it sounds like something I would enjoy.

I didn't grow enough in my garden this year to can anything, but next year i already have a vision of how i want to arrange my garden so I will have enough to can. This was my first year ever gardening,, i've really, really enjoyed it. So I want to dip my fingers in canning so I have some experience before next year.

Just wondering if i'm missing something here for people who purchase their fruit.

kathy

My calculation says that's $0.34 per pound of peaches.

I purchased fruit and made jam. there are two main reasons -- first is taste. The taste of homemade jam is incomparable. My son and husband both *really* love my jam. The second reason is that i know what went it in. I know there's real sugar (not corn syrup). I know the field where those strawberries were grown and I know they don't spray or pee in the fields or anything.

:-)

Hi Kathy! welcome5

Have you ever bought a can of peaches that were kinda "hard"? Or didn't have much flavor? Ever get one of those pieces of "pit"? After 2 years of working with kids in lunch lines at schools, believe me... THEY get those things all the time!

Unless you get the best quality fruit, and pay for it, you'll occasionally be disappointed in the product.

When I can my food *myself*, I know exactly what I'm putting in each can. *I* control the sugar, the size of the pieces, the degree of ripeness... and sometimes I'm waiting days for the peaches to finish ripening.

And I don't put in artificial *anything*.

It's a LOT of work, I know. But there's nothing like the flavor and perfection of home-canned fruit in the middle of winter. cloud9

(Does that help??)

bighug

Thanks Tracie for the correction on the price per lb. I am extremely math impaired! As you noticed.

Well, Cat, that was my next thought was making Jam. I had an Aunt who made the best peach jam and the absolute best canned peaches. I still remember how wonderful it tasted. She passed away a few years ago and the recipe is lost, however, i am going to try to find a recipe on this forum for making peach jelly/jam and for canning peaches.

And, yes i've bought many, many cans of peaches that were a bit hard or not very tasty. I guess thinking back to the food I had as a kid, and comparing what my kids eat (which is all store bought) was one of my main reason's for wanting to do this. I am going to buy my peaches on Saturday, and start canning on Tuesday (the water bath method I think).

And, i'm really just the type of person to try new things, and if that new thing doesn't work out, i keep trying until i get it right.

Thanks!

kathy

Well, here's my take on home canning, and it's something I've promoted at this site for many years...

First of all, my cooking is far superior to the commercial companies. I don't like how their things taste, so I love the convenience of popping open a jar of my homemade marinara on days when I've been too busy to cook and know that its MY recipe, it not only tastes better but it isn't loaded with garbage that I don't cook with (salts, sugars). My home canned foods have no preservatives or garbage that is harmful to our bodies. I use better quality products than the commercial companies do and my family deserves that.

When things are in season or on sale, is when I buy bulk and preserve it myself. Once I got past the initial investment of canners, jars, lids, rings and a few tools, everything is used over and over and over again (except the sealing lids), so all I have invested in my time, some energy (gas, electric) and the product that I'm canning. I have canned some of the things in my garden which has only cost me my time, and the seeds. So for me, I find it cost saving after the initial setup costs.

Second of all, since you make and design candles, you'll understand the creative effort and heart that you put into your candles. It's no different for me when I preserve my own foods. Home canning has been a lost art that thankfully, here at MrsS, has resurrected itself and become quite popular. Every time I take my jars out of the canner after processing, and place them on my counter to cool, I stand there with pride in my heart cause it sure feels GOOD to see the rewards of my labors. That might sound silly, but that's just how it is for ME.

Also, when I cook, I can either make a single batch of something or double, triple, quadruple it, which is what I tend to alot of times...using the initial product for a dinner, and then canning the rest of it to be eaten later. For example, my youngest daughter wasn't feeling well this week, so I made a huge pot of chicken soup. That night, she had chicken soup for dinner, and I took the rest of the soup and canned it up. Next time she's in the mood for chicken soup, all she'll hafta do is pop open a jar, and VOILA! She's got mom's homemade chicken soup. It only took me a few more minutes to create the soup in a bigger pot, and then the time it takes to get the jars ready for processing, but it's a routine for me that I have down pat and it works really well.

Westbrook has shared in the past how she'll cook dinner, and while she's doing the dishes and cleaning up the kitchen, she'll take the leftovers and fill up some jars and put them in her canner to process. By the time she's done cleaning the kitchen, the canner is done and her freshly canned items are sitting on her clean counter cooling.

So, home canning is just a process that we many times incorporate into our daily routines. Or, if you're like me, you'll buy hundreds of pounds of something and spend 2 days working on getting it all canned. The flip side of that is that you'll not need to can that product again for a year or 2 and at the most inconvenient times, you'll pop open a jar of homemade things, that you took the time to prepare ahead.

I really hope you try it yourself. I have a feeling that these things that are sometimes hard to explain (the 'whys' of why we do this), will become clear to you when you try it yourself and then you'll be in here with us, sharing the accomplisments in home canning that you made that day.

Welcome and good luck!

I've used this peach jam recipe with great success:

http://www.uga.edu/nchfp/how/can_07/peach_jam_powder.html

Good luck!! It's really pretty straightforward. I have a large glass measuring cup (8 cups). I start chopping my peaches into small pieces right into that glass bowl, and when I've got about 2 cups of peach pieces, I throw in the lemon juice and mash it all up. I think this helps the peaches retain their color. Then I keep chopping and mashing until the whole thing equals 4 cups (3 3/4 cups peaches + 1/4 cup bottled lemon juice).

Use a larger pot than you think you'll need (I use a dutch oven) because jam boils up high.

:-)

Thanks for the recipe, i'll give it a shot next week! You were right, i had a friend re-calculate the price of peaches per lb. $.34 ,, much better than what I had calculated!

Just so I know where i'm headed - I was reading the recipe for the jam. So this is a water bath method instead of pressure canning method?

I'll let you know next Wednesday how it comes out

kathy

Thanks for your take on canning :-)

I am not to worried about the initial cost, i expected to have to invest into the jars and other things, but like you point out, I can re-use the jars.

It doesn't sound silly at all about you admiring your work, even though i have made candles for 10 years after each batch, I stand back and admire those candles, it's like the first batch all over again and a feeling I will never get tired of! My mother used to can things like beans, tomates, and relish, so she will be here guiding me in my venture with the peaches I hope. Peaches are something she has never done. It is a lost art and I appreciate being a member of this group. Even though I don't can yet, the topic "What did you can today?" seems to be the first place I come to on this message board. I am amazed you all put so much effort into your family and providing for them. Before my brother-in-law e-mailed me this site i had no idea people actually still did things like that everyday. I did get the impression that some of you do incorporate canning into your everday life, once I try my hand at it, i'll have to can something while I am doing the dinner dishes to start a good routine going. My only question is, I read on the site today about things you aren't supposed to can, wasn't noodles or grain one of them such as chicken soup?

I am going to give canning a try. I really think this is one of the first steps to leading a self sufficient life. Which is what we are working towards. I'll have to post once i give it a try and let ya'll know how it turned out.

Yes, the jam is water bath. Just make sure the water is at least an inch over the tops of the jars before boiling. You'll need a pot that's 4 or 5 inches taller than the jars (when the jars are on the rack) because the boiling water gets taller.

You can can the chicken soup without any noodles or grains. That stuff is easy enough to add in after you open the jar if you really want noodles or rice. Some people may still can it with noodles in it, but it's not recommended by the new food canning guidelines. Anything on that website I gave you should be fine, since it's the national authority.

One of the wonderful ladies on here explained it -- things that used to be fine and safe for canning are no longer fine or safe because we have stronger bacteria now. Hence the new guidelines, longer canning times and stricter rules.

Here's why I finally started canning. (just really last month)

For one thing, my grandma has this pickle recipe that my husband absolutely adores. And this is the first season, that she's not making them (at 88). He wanted some so badly, I love him so much, I made him some pickles.

For another thing, I wanted an alternative method for preserving food that did not include the refrigerator. I do have some things in my freezer, but did not want everything in there in case of a loss of electricity.

Also, I am discovering now that I've done it, there is a huge amount of convenience to using canned meats, especially, that you can just grab and use (not even have to heat if you can't do that for some reason). last night I bought a buy one get one roasts deal. I'm going to can it instead of freeze it. Pressure canning also tenderizes the cheaper cuts of meat.

Lastly, I wanted to know that I COULD do it if I needed to do it.

Good luck with your efforts, lots of good expertise here at MrsS.

Kathy, what my daughter does when she opens a jar of chicken soup is to put some dry noodles in the bottom of the pot, she pours the soup over it and then simmers it for about 10 minutes.

The soup gets heated and the noodles get cooked in the broth and absorb all that good flavor from the broth. It's absolutely amazing!

I can fruit because my dh sells them to the public and we often have leftovers that didn't sell or he has some he sets aside because they are *ugly* and won't sell. I turn those foodstuffs that would be discarded into food for my family. I make apple cider, all kinds of jellies and juices, and canned fruits according to whatever dh is selling currently.

With veggies, we are HORRIBLE gardeners as proved by our extreme lack of success over the past 20 years. BUT I frequent you pick places, get veggies from friends and neighbors, and even buy some to can for the reasons listed above--knowing what is in the jar, believing my stuff is healthier than store bought, pride in seeing the jars once filled and canned, and convenience.

Originally Posted By: kathy003
By trade, i'm a candlemaker, so the hot weather does not bother me,,, and in MI.

Well, I can assure you that I don't can because I love the heat! In fact, I turn down the air conditioner to some obscenely low amount and put two fans in the kitchen blowing on high, making sure that the air flow doesn't affect the gas flame and turning them off briefly when I'm pulling jars out of the canner.

So why do I can? Lots of reasons. I grew up in a family where we put up virtually all our own food. Even though I can now buy, for instance, different varieties of "sauerkraut," absolutely NONE taste like the delicious fermented product my mom made and I adored. Recently I shared a jar of my sauerkraut with some co-workers. One person said she could not believe how much better it is than store-bought!

Canning/preserving food gives me a sense of control over my food. I can take food that, in most cases, I grew and preserve it for a time when that food is out of season and I KNOW it is safe to eat.

Although canning is a lot of work, it is very relaxing. I get into the zone when I'm prepping food, lost in my own thoughts. And when I'm stirring something for a long time, it's quite something to watch the product transform into another consistency. Part of canning is pure science and I enjoy that aspect of the project.

A good portion of my love of canning is the ability to insure that we will have good food even if there is a harvest failure (I put up 375 pounds of Italian plums 2 years ago and the trees haven't produced since!). This also applies if an emergency would limit supplies due to inclement weather, a natural disaster ("act of God"), or man-made problem. Or laziness - such as when we get home late and I can put a hot meal on the table in less than 30 minutes.

There's always the issue of cost. In all likelhood, the products you put up today will be worth more in the future. Canning is a way of mitigating the rising cost of food in the store.

Once you start canning, you will find your own reason that makes it all worthwhile. Enjoy!

Originally Posted By: Stephanie
For one thing, my grandma has this pickle recipe that my husband absolutely adores. And this is the first season, that she's not making them (at 88). He wanted some so badly, I love him so much, I made him some pickles.

Any chance of sharing? Could you put it in the recipe section?

Originally Posted By: MamaTiger
I can fruit because my dh sells them to the public

Are you able to sell without using a commercial kitchen? I've wanted to sell but that license thing trips me up.

I can because...I can!! LOL (and with food allergies, I am certain of each ingredient in my recipes. Also, picking tomatoes or beans and then taking them into your kitchen and canning them immediately means you are getting them at their freshest. This year, it was a real to-the-bone pleasure to pick my own beans and fill a canner load immediately. I just did my own tomatoes, too. Feeling pretty happy right now. Fresh food put up, sense of accomplishment AND saving money....

Also knowing how to can meats saves on the budget. As others have said, if there is a prolonged power outage, no worries.

I don't have a huge garden, but I did better this year than last because I got actual manure for the plot this time! But I also go to pick farms and to the wholesale farm where the guy lets me buy a bushel of something when I want to if I call ahead and tell him it's me! We joined a local coop farm also. They let me pick extra if they have it.

OK I gotta ask... I see "my own recipe" and "canning leftovers"

BUT I thought I saw on here "ONLY CAN THE RECIPES from Balls or the NCFFP" and so I have NO desire to can someone else's recipe... so I am not.

I would love to can my own soup or spaghetti sauce... but I thought I was told you can't do that... it is not safe...

Please clarify of me....

I was thinking I needed to just can ingredients...

I have to can. There is something in me, leftover from my grandmother, I guess. I just have to do it, especially now. I have always thought the food was better for us, and there is just a pleasure in doing it.

Originally Posted By: TXQFMom
BUT I thought I saw on here "ONLY CAN THE RECIPES from Balls or the NCFFP" and so I have NO desire to can someone else's recipe... so I am not.

I would love to can my own soup or spaghetti sauce... but I thought I was told you can't do that... it is not safe...

Please clarify of me....

I was thinking I needed to just can ingredients...

I systematically can my own recipes all the time...but, I am ever vigilant that they stay within the guidelines for safe home canning. I know that sounds confusing, but that's one of the reasons you'll see people asking in this forum all the time, "is this recipe ok to can".

I think if you approach your home canning like that, and get others that have alot of experience to walk you through figuring out what home recipes are safe and what are not, you'll broaden your horizons significantly.
Originally Posted By: Virginia
I have to can.

Now that was a cute statement.

I HAVE to can!

It's so true though...there's something inside of us that drives, filling a need I can't put into words but that fulfills that need when done.
Originally Posted By: Darlene
Also, when I cook, I can either make a single batch of something or double, triple, quadruple it, which is what I tend to alot of times...using the initial product for a dinner, and then canning the rest of it to be eaten later. For example, my youngest daughter wasn't feeling well this week, so I made a huge pot of chicken soup. That night, she had chicken soup for dinner, and I took the rest of the soup and canned it up. Next time she's in the mood for chicken soup, all she'll hafta do is pop open a jar, and VOILA! She's got mom's homemade chicken soup. It only took me a few more minutes to create the soup in a bigger pot, and then the time it takes to get the jars ready for processing, but it's a routine for me that I have down pat and it works really well.

Westbrook has shared in the past how she'll cook dinner, and while she's doing the dishes and cleaning up the kitchen, she'll take the leftovers and fill up some jars and put them in her canner to process. By the time she's done cleaning the kitchen, the canner is done and her freshly canned items are sitting on her clean counter cooling.

Darlene, how do you know how long to pressure can your own recipe? When I decided to start into canning, this is EXACTLY the scenario I had in mind in wanting to just triple or quadruple a batch of a meal I know we love and can it after dinner. How can I go about that?

We sure don't suggest you can your own recipes ! Only safe, tested recipes should be canned. Sorry, this is what we tell folks. If you add the wrong ingredient, thickeners, etc. it can get you into trouble canning those things. Please, be sure what you can is safe to do.

The exception would be a soup where you have guidelines to follow, of course, but there are ways to vary soups.

You know, there aren't many people I know in real life who do can anymore. But I do for some of the same reasons as the others; tastes better, I control what goes in it, etc. The main reason I think that I do it is because I can. Because I am capable of growing and preserving food for my family. Because God has blessed me with a wonderful place to grow that food and all I need to do is tend to what he offers me out there.

I don't can as many things as others here do, like the meals and such, but do put up a good amount of garden produce.

This has been really interesting for me to read, thank you everyone for responding. I did a batch of Peach Jam today, i got 6 jars out of the recipe. I have to say, even buying the ingredients was cheaper per jar then purchasing it at the grocery store.

And you guys are right, you just can't beat the taste, i gave a jar to a friend today and she couldn't believe how good it was.

I'll be making raspberry and strawberry jelly this weekend.

I think i'm addicted!

Archived