MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Whole wheat bread recipe please!

Hi..I've owned a bread maker for years but only used it a couple times to make an actual loaf (I usually make pizza dough in it). The couple times I made loaves of bread, they would fall apart when I tried to slice it. I'm not interested in desert breads..I only want to use it for sandwiches. Does anyone have a good recipe for sandwich bread, that slices easily? Something simple would be nice:)

Here's my tried and true favorite:?)

Honey Whole Wheat Bread

2 T yeast

2 1/4 c warm water (105*)

1/3c honey or brown sugar

1/4 c oil (I like olive)

1/2 t salt

4c. wheat flour

2 c white flour

(sometimes I mix it up with extra dry grains like oatmeal or flax and add just a bit more water)

Mix all wet together and stir. Slowly add flours till kneadable and knead 5-6 minutes. Let double in a slightly warm moist oven. Split into 2 loaves let rise 20-30 minutes. Bake 350* for approx 20 minutes

I hope you like it. My fam loves this bread! It doesn't last long!

Oh and DUH! my white bread recipe:?)

White bread

2 T yeast

1/2 c milk

1/2 c water (liquids at 110*)

1 T sugar

1 T olive oil

1/8 t salt

2 1/2 - 2 3/4 c flour

stir all together except flour. Add slowly till you can knead, knead 5 minutes

Rise 15 min. in warm moist oven. Shape 2 loaves rise 30 minutes bake 350* 15 - 20 minutes.

Start to finish is about an hour and it's soooo yummy!

Cool..thanks! I'm assuming these can be put into a bread maker? I can look in my instruction manual..I know it has instructions for 'converting' a recipe. I can't wait to try it:)

Another question! Can you just use regular sugar in whole wheat bread (or even Splenda?)? B/c I don't keep brown sugar or honey on hand and wouldn't have much else to use it for.

Yeah you are probably right about that..I do like splenda in small quantities (like in coffee) but in larger quantities it wouldn't be cost effective I have a feeling. Would I use the same amount (1/3 cup) with white sugar?

I don't use a bread machine, my receipe makes four loaves and I bake at night cool it and put in the refer over night and slice the next day. I find it is a lot easier that way. I slice all four loves and put them in the freezer. this way I don't have to bake so often and it is sliced and ready.

Also thefreshloaf.com is a great place to learn about baking bread.

BiscuitMaker, How do you wrap the loaves that you put in the freezer? I'd like to make more loaves at one time and store some in the freezer, but it just doesn't compare with the freshly baked. I don't know if we're just spoiled by the ''fresh from the oven'' bread or I if I don't know how to wrap the bread for freezing properly.

Originally Posted By: onepoormomma
Here's my tried and true favorite:?)

Honey Whole Wheat Bread

2 T yeast
2 1/4 c warm water (105*)
1/3c honey or brown sugar
1/4 c oil (I like olive)
1/2 t salt
4c. wheat flour
2 c white flour

(sometimes I mix it up with extra dry grains like oatmeal or flax and add just a bit more water)

Mix all wet together and stir. Slowly add flours till kneadable and knead 5-6 minutes. Let double in a slightly warm moist oven. Split into 2 loaves let rise 20-30 minutes. Bake 350* for approx 20 minutes

I hope you like it. My fam loves this bread! It doesn't last long!

I just printed this recipe to try. I've been searching for a good/yet simple recipe with whole wheat. Thanks. I'll be doing it by hand. I've given up on breadmakers since I've killed two of them. The first one burned out. Apparently it's not a good idea to double the pizza dough recipe. And the second one just walked off the counter and committed suicide.

I'd really suggest buying the honey and using it. Honey keeps forever, unlike brown sugar. The yeast needs a real sweetener to work and honey adds a nice flavor.

If you can buy whole wheat bread flour, use that. If you can't and have to use regular wheat flour, adding a tablespoon of wheat gluten per cup of wheat flour helps the bread rise and be easier to slice. I buy the wheat gluten at Bob's red mill online, but I've seen it in stores by the flour.

even with a machine, bread making is an art not a science(or at least it seems to me). You can use the same recipe on two different days and get slightly different loaves.

When I make sandwitches, I cut one slice of bread in half and make half sandwitches. Since you can't (or I can't) cut homemade bread as thin as store bread, it works out the same.

I hope I helped!

I agree that honey is the best!!! If you buy honey in a plastic jar transfer it to a glass jar so when it turns to sugar all you have to do is put it in a pan of water on the stove on low and will melt in no time. I would not heat a plastic jar.

Good advice Biscuitmaker...I do that, too. I like using a wide mouth mason jar in case I want to dip with a small measuring cup.

Cutting the bread with one of those serrated bread knives makes it easier to slice a little thinner. I just figure if you can fit it into the toaster, it's thin enough. Until I heard about the vital wheat gluten, my whole wheat bread was bricks. (I'm allergic to wheat but make this bread for the family)

I freeze bread, also. I actually put it into freezer bags, the gallon size ones, and cut it first so a few slices can be taken out as needed. Family would rather have it fresh, though. It is handy to have some in freezer in case you didn't get to the baking or something.

• 2 weeks later...

Also if your bread is falling apart there may be moisture issues. Humidity (or lack thereof) can cause bread difficulties. Look into your machine about 5 minutes after it's started. If your dough is sticking to the sides, add a bit of flour. If it's not moist looking, add a bit of water. I can't bake bread on days when our humidity gets down below about 8%.

Mo7

Archived