MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

potato soup

catskinner

I'm posting this in response to a request by jasminegirl.

Potato soup

I got the original recipe from recipezaar dot com and then played with it until I was happy with it. I will give you the original recipe (recipe zaar # 3596) and then notes of what I do.

6-8 medium potatoes

1/4 cup butter

1/2 cup flour

6 cups milk

2 teaspoons chicken bouillon

1/2 teaspoon salt

1/4 teaspoon pepper

1/2 lb. cheddar cheese

1. Peel, cube, boil, drain and "mash" potatoes to the consistency you like.

2. In a seperate pan, melt butter, add flour and cook while stirring for a minute or so.

3. Add half the milk and stir until lumps are out of flour mixture.

4. Add remaining milk and on medium-high heat, heat to a boil.

5. Stir almost constantly or it will scorch.

6. After boiling, turn heat off and add remaining ingredients.

This was submitted by msouth. I wanted to be sure to give credit where it was due.

Here's what I do.

I crush and sprinkle in a little of a bouillon cube, instead of using the liquid. Who keeps 2 teaspoons on hand for soup?

I like to add some heavy cream or half and half for part of the milk if I have it.

I never measure the cheese. We get cheese at Sams in the huge bag and I just reach in and get out what I think looks good. (IMHO, there can never be too much cheese.)

When I serve it, I sprinkle a little more cheese on top and some crumbled bacon.

I think the cheese makes this recipe, but that could be just because I love cheese.

I hope you'll try this recipe and let me know what you think of it.

catskinner

Rivels are kind of like spaetzle. grin

I like celery and onion in my tater soup, too. I often use a little bacon grease to soften them before adding the potatoes and water, etc.

I don't put cheese in mine, but I have cut up hotdogs into leftover potato soup for my lunches. yumyum

I made potato soup this weekend it was so good. I make mine a little different it is more like loaded potato soup...

4 or 5 potatoes peel and boiled in 3 quarts water

drain half the water and mash taters into chunky mush

add 1 1/2 milk return to boil then immediately remove heat

adding potato flakes to thicken as needed

stir in 1 cup sour cream 1/2 cup butter

add 3 green onions thinly sliced (reserving greens)

salt and pepper to taste

serve topped with cheese, bacon bits and greens from onions

Now the dieters version....

use Fat Free sour cream, skim milk (or don't drain water and just stir in powdered milk) and use low cal margarine and 2%cheese

I made the dieters version and served it to the guys Sunday evening and they NEVER knew that their soup was not loaded with artery clogging fat.

• 1 month later...

We have potato soup often. It's a good way to use leftover potatoes as well.

You can use leftover potatoes of almost any kind. Mashed, baked, even fried. The different leftovers give it a little different taste. I also throw in any leftover cooked carrots.

If I need to cook extra potatoes for the soup I just cut up however many and boil until very tender. Then I combine all the potatoes (freshly cooked and leftovers) in a pot and warm over medium heat. I mash them until just a little chunky and add milk to make a rich, thick consistency. I add black pepper and onion and a little butter for taste.

I have added a little grated cheese, chives - fresh or dried, crumbled bacon, ham, beef or chicken chunks, cayenne, carrots, squash, sweet potatoes ...

You can do exactly the same thing with just carrots, squash or sweet potatoes too.

It's simple, warming, comforting, filling, nutritious and inexpensive smile

I make potato soup all the time in the winter but I puree it in the blender because the family LOVES the creaminess of blended soup.

I first saute lots and lots of onion and garlic (about 3 medium onion and 1 head of garlic cheer YUM) Then I add cubed potatoes and water to cover (sometimes I'll also add carrots, squash, pumpkin or any other root veggie - about half the amount of potatoes). After the potatoes are cooked, I ladle portions into the blender, puree and dump into my large bowl; take another portion of soup, puree, dump into the bowl and continue until all the soup is pureed. Dump all the soup back into the pot (or if you're like me, 2 pots, because you overfilled the first one to begin with rofl ).

I then season the soup with salt, pepper, green onion, cumin for soups with squash, ground sage if I'm feeling "Thanksgivingish", ground thyme if I'm feeling "Turkeyish" and so on.

I love this soup because it is simple and CHEAP, and it fills my dear children's perpetually empty tummies (even though they eat constantly rollingeyes )

I'm hungry now - think I'll rummage the cupboards!! chocobun

Michelle

• 6 months later...

My daughter loves potato soup. She boils the potatoes, strains the water off, adds milk, browned hamburger cooked with lots of onions and garlic, and beef polish sausage. Sea salt and seaweed like kelp or bladderwrack top it off. It's great winter food.

Rivels are small, about 1/2 inch or so in size. If too big, they are doughy tasting. I just love eating the rivels. Have lots of butter in the soup, too. MMm.

I cook the potatoes nearly done in chunks, then add the rivels to cook. I add some salt and pepper, milk, cream, butter, and thicken with milk in some flour and stir it in. I like thick soup.

• 2 months later...

This recipe is very similar to my potato-cheese soup. I do not peel the potatoes (saves time and a lot of nutrition). I usually add onion and garlic powder, and sprinkle with parsley. Serve with homemade bread and maybe a salad. Soup is great ! With time and practice you won't even need a recipe. One pot cooking at it's best. Depending on size of family it also makes more than one meal.

Archived