MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Part V: What are you STILL canning?????

RNMOM

I'm just starting a new thread because I'm so dang curious as to what you would still be canning? I guess I just assume that the whole world is a frozen wasteland like my part of the country....snow on the ground for crying-out-loud! I went out into the snowy garden and dug up my carrots so I could put together a huge batch of beef stew to can. Next I have a HUGE batch of chili cooking to start doing next.

So far today 13 Qts. of beef stew.

I have no idea how much chili I'll end up with.

But I feel snug in the house with a toasty fire and some rib sticking meals cooking in the pressure canner!

Will be doing cucumber relish from the ones that got too big for slicing. Here is my mom's "simple" recipe.

Cucumber relish

8 med cucumbers

2 onions

2 green peppers

Grind. Put in bowl. Add 3-4 TBLS salt. Let stand one hour.

Drain. Squeeze water out. Put in pan. Add

2 cups vinegar

3 cups sugar

TBLS tumeric

TBLS celery seed

Boil 20 minutes.While hot put in jars and seal. Darlene says I hafta also water bath them cry

The last of my apples...I have been putting batch, after batch in the steam juicer. I am freezing the juice, then going to can apple jelly and apple syrup. I am also going to can more Apple Pie Jam and some other preserves.

Then I am moving on to pumpkins, sweet potatoes, butternut squash.....Oh...My next crop of beans are almost ready.

No snow here, still 87 degrees.....

I'm waiting on apples to make applesauce. Apples are coming in here but still on the expensive side. In about 3 weeks at the local fruit stand they will start putting out the "seconds"...paper grocery bags full for $4.

Still working on the tomatoes. I have enough salsa (finally) and have only to make 6 pints of super hot burn your head off salsa for Tim's friends. And still, about 50 quarts of stewed and whole tomatoes.

Other than that, just carrots left of the vegies.

And lots and lots of sales here on chicken so I'm going to town canning chicken and broth. That will continue till the sales end.

And then..I think I'm thru for the year. No more canning till next June when the strawberries come off.

Oh. No. I'm not. I've got to can up all the berries I froze because I was too busy to make jam earlier. But that's a quick two day job.

I have almost all the parts together for veggie soup. I *so* did not want to come back to canning, but the soup is very yummy and I do LOVE to eat it...not to mention, it is so darn easy!

I also will be doing more applesauce....as soon as DH brings more in.

I also have to make jelly from the apple juice..YUM!

Stew! Soups! And lots of both! It was so nice this past year to pull home "jarred" soup and stew off the shelf to just heat and eat. Brother-in-law promised me some venison too, in exchange for my home "jarred" salmon. The last of the farmers' markets are still going on so hope to get more beets and beans for pickling.

Originally Posted By: RNMOM
Shurleen, how many jars of stuff do you think you have canned this year? Wow, you are like the Arnold Swartenzenager of canning!!!!

Does it sound like a lot?

It isn't. But when I'm canning, people keep saying that. It's making me feel weird, like I'm doing something wrong! rofl

We have a short growing season here. If we are blessed, we can start in April, but that rarely (like pretty much never) happens. Usually starts May 15. This year started June 15.

And it never really got good and warm till July, so growth was slowed down a lot by that.

So when stuff comes off starting the first of August, whew!! we canners are head over heels busy trying to get everything canned before it's all over. We have 2 to 3 months of intense canning a year.

Whereas if you live in the South, you can be canning year round.

Cabbage Roll Soup and Stuffed Bell Green Pepper Soup. (Of course I left the rice out). Will add that when I get ready to eat it. Oh yea....I think I got these recipes from some folks on this forum...THANKS!!!! Thought hubby was going to "die" when he tasted the cabbage soup...and didn't have the rice or ginger snaps in it yet...lol. Think both of these soups will be some I will make over and over.

Well my canning efforts were much more humble than yesterday. Only 4 Qts of baked beans and 7 Qts of pork and beans. I had to clean the house....it was starting to look like a crack house or something. I am blessed to have an extra kitchen downstairs that I can in, but when both kitchens are dirty...yuk. So I cleaned and cleaned and cleaned.

I work in the ER for the next two days so I'll only be able to drool over what you darlings are doing, but come Friday...watch out. I feel another batch of salsa coming on.

Just canned 20 lbs of ground beef and have 20 lbs of chicken to can tomorrow. The garden is just about done and the winter vegies are coming along great (I love the winter vegies because I don't can those!)

Next week I'll start canning dried beans.

I juiced more apples tonight and got 5 quarts. I also, with the help of Emma and Caleb, have 11 quarts of apples ready to be canned into jam tomorrow. I have two more boxes of apples to wash, deworm, juice, peel, slice, dice, core.....Then to haul all that juice back out of the freezer and make jelly and syrup.....

Archived