MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Darlene's

Necie

Ok...I haven't said alot about our trip to Darlene's. It was AMAZING. I have never felt so comfortable and at home in my life--and this was with someone that I'd never met. She welcomed myself and my daughter into her house and made us feel like we were "HOME". The whole week-end was sooooo surreal, and yet, deja vu-ish...like I'd known these people my whole life.

Westie...well, what can ya say...Westie is just AWESOME. Overload of info. And sooooo helpful. When DD and I were lost on this cowpath of a mountain dirt trail and the only number I had was Westie's...well I was never so glad to hear a voice of kindness and helpfullness in my life. She is the sweetest, dearest lady and I could follow her around with my gold notebook and green pen for the rest of my life and still not have an inkling of the knowledge that this lady has.

Stephanie (and boys)...WHAT A SWEETIE!!! I finally met a TRUE southern belle. This lady is strong, gentle, kind, loving, did I mention STRONG??? Her faith is unwaivering and her laughter is infectious. grin My DD fell in love with Stephanie...she's all she talked about on the way home. She is a 'kid magnet'...anytime you were trying to find a kid (her boys, Granny's son, Darlene's daughter's, my DD), all you had to do was find Stephanie...she had them busy doing SOMETHING all the time. I am honored to call this lady my friend.

Granny...well, Granny is too young looking to be called "Granny"!! And she has a son that is the sweetest guy (he'll prolly hate me for that grin ). He was so shy when they first arrived, but after meeting Stephanie's boys, he came outa his shell a bit and jumped right in and helped everywhere and everytime anyone needed it...just like his mama. grin Granny and I had a discussion one night out on Darlene's porch and it meant more to me than I think she'll ever know. Thank you Granny--I don't feel so 'alone' now. bighug

Trip...well, is a TRIP!! rofl But he's an honest to goodness, no nonsense, tell-it-like-it-is TRIP!! I almost fell on the ground rofl when he was 'teaching' my DD to use a handgun...he was standing next to her showing her 'stuff' and told her to pull the trigger (to get the feel of it)...she looked at him like eek .."YOUR'E NOT GONNA STAND THERE WHEN I DO, ARE YA?" Trip took it in stride and said "If that gun were loaded, I wouldn't be standing here. Pull the trigger." rollingeyes Trip is a super guy and I would be honored and privileged to be on his team in any survival situation (besides....he sounds like Sean Connery DarleneSwoon ). (Oh yeah...and Jack is the cutest 'little pup that thinks he's a big pup', that I've ever seen!!)

Ok....there's more, but it's getting late and I'm gonna post a pic or two...will add to this later.

Love ya ALL

bighug

First pic...Granny's son, me, Stepanie's son plucking chickens. That's my pup, Gracie...hoping we'll give her a wing tip or chicken foot as a prize for being so good and not eating the WHOLE chicken. grin

1349-668523-R2-00-25A.jpg

Awwwww, Necie, thank you so much for your kind words. I really needed that tonight. It was such a special time and such a grand adventure! Wasn't it amazing how well we all just 'melded' together, like long lost family! grouphug

You give L a big ol' hug from me and tell her I'm expecting to hear good things about her and her plans for the future. And tell her to stay away from hills in her momma's stick shift! lol

Can't wait for more pictures!

Darlene's dogs....

I cannot tell ya how impressed I was with these animals. UNBELIEVABLE AND AMAZING!! Her big male, Danny, stole my heart...and if I coulda fit him in Gracie's crate with her on the way home, I'd of stole HIM!! grin

Leah (DD) and I got there late on Wed. night. Thursday a.m., we set up our tent behind the guest house with a view of the pond (and horse--mare named Walt, and her two little goats). Well, Thursday just kinda happened with no real plans as the get-together was for the weekend. Westie and her mom had went with Trip to pick up a few necessities, Darlene and her DD1 had to take a trip to Atlanta, and my DD and Darlene's DD2 had went to the gas station nearby. So Gracie (my year old rottie) and I decided we'd try to take a little afternoon nap in the tent....

We'd only been in the tent for a bit when I heard the dogs barking...Darlene has 3...a 1 1/2 yr old male-Danny, her female-Kayra, and her new pup-6 month old Zha-Zha?? Well, anyhow, didn't think much of it...just figured someone was home, pulling in and the dogs were letting us know.

Now, when we got there (well, first thing Thur. morning), the first thing I wanted to see was the dogs. Westie went out with me and 'introduced' us. She told me that after that I was part of their pack and I could go out and visit with them anytime I wanted and they would accept me.

So, anyhow, I hear the dogs barking...but then I see Walt alert..hmmm...then the goats come to attention. I think 'Uh oh, somethings out there'...then Gracie perks up....

So, I peek my head out the tent door...and here is this big, HUGE Anatolian looking DOWN at me. eek Well, of course, Gracie wants to PLAY rollingeyes , so I let her out and they play for a few minutes and then I'm thinking...'CRUD, the dogs are fenced so they don't run!!' So, I grab Gracie and put her in her crate and I grab her leash and get ahold of Danny and we walk around to see how he got out. eek <---AGAIN!! THROUGH a chain link gate WITH a hot wire. *THIS* dog is tough! So, we go sit on the top step of Darlene's deck and wait for someone to get home. I was reading something, so I put the leash around my ankle and sit there. Danny goes behind me to the end of the leash. STOP. He goes in front of me to the end of the leash. STOP. He comes back up on the porch and lays down behind me and puts his head on my SHOULDER! AWWWWWWWWW! So we sit like that for a few minutes and then I hear a car pull in...Leah and Dar's DD2. I just sit there... DarleneSwoon and as soon as the gals come around the corner into view---ZOOOOOOM!!--Danny goes down the steps...with the leash still around my ankle! eek I hit the first step...second step...."WHOOOOOOOA!!" He STOPS! The gals are about rolling on the ground. rofl I'm still in one piece--sore hiney--Dar's got HARD stairs!!

Here's the beast...I WANT ONE!!

1350-668523-R2-05-20A.jpg

1351-668523-R2-07-18A.jpg

1352-668523-R6-06-19.jpg

Ok...on with the story....

So, on Friday, we're all just kinda hangin' out and helpin' Darlene with stuff. Crazy4canning had arrived and we were all sitting around and chatting, when....somebody saw....THE TURTLE!! eek He was out in the middle of the pond and, let me tell ya, he wasn't no little thing like Trip tried to tell ya'll. He was a BIG-UN!! Westie was runnin' around like a mad banshee, hollerin': "SEE, I TOLD YA!! DIDN'T I TELL YA IT WAS BIG!! IT'S GINORMOUS...NOT A LITTLE THING LIKE TRIP SAID! WE WEREN'T FIBBIN'--DIDN'T I TELL YA? LOOK AT IT! IT'S HUGE AIN'T IT??" rollingeyes

Well, it was a big one. Trip told Wormguy to go in and get his .223 and he'd let him try it out snipin' that turtle. So Wormie gets it all set up on the deck to shoot the turtle down in the pond. BOOM! Blew that thing right outa the water. GOT 'IM!! Wormie says: grin "That's SWEEEET!"

So now what? Do we want to go get it? How? There's a boat down there, anyone wanna go out in the boat and get it? Hmmmmmmm. 'Bout then C4C says: "I'd like to have the shell for my classroom." So I said: "Well, I can prolly grab my tackle box and pole and snag it and we could get the shell off for ya." I get down there and start rummaging through my tackle box looking for a BIG treble hook...can't find one. DarleneSwoon Well, I have these spinner baits...Faulkner spinner baits-made by a local guy here and I won three of them on a bet. grin Big hooks, ought to be able to snag a turtle. I pick out the white one, figure I'll be able to see it coming through the water and right before it gets to the turtle, I can just let it drop, JERK BACK HARD, set hook and slooooooowly reel in that big thang. HUMPH! WRONG!

Everytime I'd cast my line out, start reelin' her towards the turtle...BOOM!--BASS ON! fishing Did it four or five times...and EVERYTIME, I'd have a fish on before I could get near that dang turtle. So, it was getting near dinner time and I gave up and told C4C to give me her addy and I'd send her a turtle shell that I have hanging in my pear tree.

We went and ate (I swear, Darlene could turn shoe leather into prime rib feedme ), and then I went back out fishing for real. She has a wonderful little pond and it's LOADED with bass. Caught 9 that night (forgot to take pix of them), and then 2 the next night.

Here's pix of the pond. Bass in the bucket. And one about to get filleted. grin They now reside in Darlene's freezer.

1353-668523-R2-15-10A.jpg

1354-668523-R2-12-13A.jpg

1355-668523-R2-13-12A.jpg

In my first post I told of Trip showing my DD how to shoot a handgun. She had never shot a gun before and poor Trip had his work cut out for him with this one. DarleneSwoon He was a real trooper and dealt with the Pampered Princess very well. wink

Here's the pix. I love the last one! Don't think she was enjoying herself do ya? grin

1356-668523-R3-06-18A.jpg

1357-668523-R3-05-19A.jpg

1358-668523-R3-04-20A.jpg

1359-668523-R3-03-21A.jpg

We all had a blast shooting. Thanks to Trip, Wormie and Darlene for letting us use their firearms and for helping us newbies be safe. bighug

More pix:

1360-668523-R3-15-9A.jpg

1361-668523-R3-17-7A.jpg

1362-668523-R3-20-4A.jpg

1363-668523-R3-22-2A.jpg

1364-668523-R3-24-0A.jpg

1365-668523-R6-19-6.jpg

1366-668523-R6-25-0.jpg

1367-668523-R7-07-18.jpg

1368-668523-R7-11-14.jpg

Archived