MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Honey as a Dressing for Wounds, Burns, and Ulcers:

CoM

Honey was used in nursing homes for difficult-to-heal sores up through the early 1970's. The administrations largely switched to white sugar "because it works just as well," which it of course doesn't, then abandoned the white sugar because it didn't work.

I found honey effective treatment for a large, infected, second-degree burn, back when I cooked for a living and picked up at least one good burn per week. The honey worked as well as anything else I tried, including prescription creams, and better than most things.

Ds25 sliced his finger pretty badly several years ago. He had no health insurance and was trying to take care of it himself. By the time he came to me for help it was pretty oozy. I cleaned it thoroughly then covered it with honey...changed it every few hours...within 24 hours it was healing well...and it healed completely without a scar.

When I did my nursing training 25 years ago we used honey dressings on leg ulcers, that had proved difficult to heal by other more modern [well was modern then]. The honey helped the majority of patients. I also use it on burns and abbrasions, sometimes I will alternate a dressing with pure lavender aromatharepy oil, if a wound is dirty with grit in I mix the lavender oil and honey together and apply to a guaze dressing, the combination seems to help draw the dirt to the surface making it easier to clean the affected area properly.

As A wound treatment nurse, we don't use honey, we use silversorb gel, but one of my residents did go to the wound treatment center at hospital and they use a special pasturized type honey dsg on her wound, I don't know if it was quicker or not. Suprise to me is how well just regualr normal saline works on a lot of stuff. A wet to dry dsg does pretty well on a lot wounds. But sometimes there are wounds that will never heal according to some of the MD's I work with.

I have used honey for years as a wound treatment.

Here's a couple more uses:

I've used it on rashes and on babies cradle cap, being sure to wash it out after a couple of minutes.

I also use it as a facial. Just smooth it onto a clean face, tap it gently with your fingertips until it get really sticky (or until you can't stand being sticky any longer, which for me is about five minutes,,,,I hate being sticky), rinse gently with tepid water and pat dry. It leaves your skin beautifully soft. I know people who use it for rosacea and it works better than the expensive treatments they get from the doctor.

bighug

Archived