MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Anyone else snowed in today?

finklet

I'm in central Indiana and we're snowed in today. It took a long time to get home last night and I just smiled at the grocery store parking lots full of people most likely getting "bread and milk". Thank Goodness Mrs. Survival has gotten me back into the prep mode. I didn't have to stop.

New Hampshire here and getting whomped with a pile of snow today--to be followed by icing. Up to half inch of ice predicted on the trees--just like the big ice storm last month. For now, it is just soft snow falling with three inches on the ground so far.

Ohio is getting our share. Snow followed by freezing rain and then more snow. Supposed to stop around noon though. I don't mind casue I do not need to go out. I am glad for my preps too when it gets like this. So far we still have our electric, but after being out in August, I am a little lery of it!

Sorry, old maine about your arm. I hope you can get home before anything hits your area!

We have 11 1/2 inches of snow here - our first big snow of the winter. My office actually closed today. I just took a coffee cake out of the oven and we're about to enjoy it with some tea. I have my oil lamps (new right before Christmas - I kick myself for getting rid of my "Y2K lamps") ready to go in case we lose our electric. I'm reading all kinds of prep stuff today and having a good time.

Be careful and safe on the roads today Old Maine Bear - and everyone else too !!

puppyinwindowsnow.gif

I saw on the news last night where so many are out of power and there were several deaths due to the ice on the roads.

praying for all in the path of this storm.

OMB, do be careful on the roads. praying for you too.

HUGS37.gifHAVEAGOODDAYWINTERGIRLANDSNOWMAN.gif

Latest from north central Arkansas. Power out for thousands, a week to several weeks for most to be restored they are saying. We do see some sunshine this morning, but still in the 20s.

Over the past 11 months our area has had one large tornado, 1 huge flood, followed by another flood a few weeks later, due to heavy rains and the dams having to open the flood gates to prevent them from breaking. Now this ice storm that is so bad no one here remembers it ever being like this. Trees look like another tornado has gone though, but effecting our whole city of 12,000 plus most of the county and surrounding counties. So glad we are as prepared as we are.

frozen Yep, same as JCK88 for me too. Not too worried about a major power outtage, but will see. Am doing some cooking up of healthy stuff still. Hope I can finish it. No wind at the time of this post so I hope things will be fine. Right now that snow is looking pretty, but then I am at home and not out in it!

I feel for all the folks with major damage and power out in areas south of me and out to the midwest.

As long as I can stay reasonably warm if the power went out I should be fine.

Take care everyone! couch2coffeelaundryvacuumingdishes

We have about 5 inches, I think we'll get another 5. They've actually canceled after school activities for my kids, usually they don't for just snow.

It is really pretty, but darn it! The dishwasher and washing machine repair guy is supposed to get here this afternoon! If he cancels I'm going to sulk and eat massive amounts of chocolate and coffee.

Ummm, Virginia? I hate to tell you this, but there's a story out that everyone in Arkansas should be aware of...

They've found a "new" fault line in eastern Arkansas that has caused destruction in the past and could in the future. It's east of Little Rock, towards the state line.

It's separate from the "New Madrid" fault line that we already know caused such destruction in the 1800s that the Mississippi River ran backwards.

I'm going to post the story in "Are You Really Ready?".

A 'nother *whole new reason* to stay prepared... with precautions about safe, secure storage.

bighug

Yes, we have been having multiple small quakes over the last year, much more than normal. This small, poor state may be headed for real trouble. You wouldn't believe (or maybe you would) some of the people interviewed on radio about how unprepared they were for this storm, which was predicted accurately for a few days. Need oxygen, no extra in the house. All candles burned out by 10 last night, off to a shelter today. Young people calling for a "wellness check" and then just wanting to know when they will have power... Police said don't call us unless it is an emergency. Last radio news said 112,000 without power. If it is better than they think, 10 days to have everyone back, if worse than they think, 3 1/2 weeks to have everyone back.

Almost a foot outside of fresh powder. There is a slight break right now but they say a few to five more inches in the region tonight here. Not sure about the ice factor yet. It was supposed to hit at the last of this storm track goes through.

I guess theres another storm due ( as per NWS tonight) in about a week thats supposed to be a doozy. Hope all of you in the midwest and mountains south and areas east of me are doing well if you lost power.

Glad you are home and safe OMB!

8 inches here.. Haven't been out in it yet. Most area schools were closed yesterday. Haven't heard any news of power outages. Most of ours came in the form snow but it did sleet a few times as well. Sounded kind of neat hitting the windows. Critters are staying in the barn and not venturing out into the yard at all.

George??? How did your arm get infected??

Im in Ark. Also and I have not been any futher than the mailbox this week. Thanks to prepping I have everything to get me by while the ice and yuk is going on. Lots of trees are down. But its warmer today.

Most everyone in this little city and surrounding towns has power now. Rural areas are not so fortunate. My sister and family live in the county below us, very rural, and they could be out until the end of February, some very rural areas in Arkansas are being told they could be out a total of 9 weeks. We have the possibility of severe thunderstorms coming (even tornadoes). Strong winds will bring down more tree limbs that are just hanging on, and then more power lines down again. I believe the last report I heard was 30,000 power poles down over the northern part of the state. All down due to the ice storm. We sure don't need any more storms on top of it.

I keep repeating what Judy said, it is so exhausting to have even a week of this kind of mess.

Hopefully, my last report on the ice storm.

Found out more at church this morning.

Our church was in a small, probably 4 block area, that had power the whole time, except about 2 hours. At one point, there were over 360 people staying at the church, being fed, sleeping, having medical problems addressed, and just being helped in any way possible. Our preacher believes it was a miracle that we maintained power. We have a gym, with adjoining rooms and showers, an old aduitorium that is separate and was used to shelter the women from the battered women's shelter in town (so they could be secured). We have a nice kitchen in the new building, and at the busiest time, meals for over 1,000 a day were prepared and served. Tractor trailer trucks were unloaded into our fellowship hall, and there were stacks and stacks of food and bottled water (Red Cross maybe). Some meals were delivered to our hospital, which was short on food since they had extra staff trying to handle the whole thing; and some to volunteers all over the county helping people. We still have a few people being sheltered, but most are back home at nearly 3 weeks since the storm. Preacher advised to always check on neighbors in an emergency, since many elderly were brought in that lived alone and had to be transferred to nursing homes because they were in such bad condition.

I reported earlier on the attempted suicides from this, and found out this week from an EMT that many were elderly, and he said most of them just messed themselves up bad. Still can't believe so many could not cope, and now are selling the generators and chainsaws they bought.

Got up to a little unexpected snow this morning, after temps in the 60s Wed and Thurs. Interesting winter.

Archived