MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Quiltys needs prayers

babysteps

Ya'll, Quiltys is dealing with the aftermath of the ice storm and having a heck of a time. This is per a friend who called her...

Quote:
guys, it is bad! she cannot call out, but they can get calls. she says they are about 20 mins. from the bad stuff. they have power on and off. the dsl is offline, and they don't know when they will get it back. the same with the phones, and they are not in the hardest hit parts. they went into a town about 20 minutes from their house to get meds and other things. now this town is OUTSIDE of the hard hit parts. she said the people from in the storm descended like locusts. they were going from town to town, and when the hotels full, and the supplies ran out, they moved onto the next town. they would take all the gas, food out of the grocery stores, supplies out of the stores, and moved on. she said in the town they went to right after the storm, within 8 hours, all the stores where wiped out, and the gas stations had lines ten cars deep. she said a prescription at walmart that would have taken 20 min to fill took 2 hours. she just sat there and listened. she was shocked. she said when tshtf, everybody, no matter how far theya re away from a big city, are in trouble. she said EVERYONE will be effected by it alot. she said the people were staying on the main roadways because they were afraid to venture off the mains and get lost. they were also told this morning on the news that they are saying 8 weeks before power is restored.

Then this morning we got this...

Quote:
I talked to [quiltys], and she has a message for you all! You need to keep prepping, it's never enough!

She said that the people from the city desended on them like locusts, used all their resources including down to the cat food, and moved on. The traffic from the side streets didn't bother merging, they didn't even look, they just sped past everyone.

With all the trees down, no one had the sense to cut those down, and use for firewood.

During an emergency they spread out in all directions, and you can't live far enough away for them not to invade your town.

Where they are located, they were told 6-8 weeks to get the electric fixes. Will hear more about that tomorrow!

First to go..sleeping bags, and anything in the sports department!

Seeds in her area are on back order, even though they have been ordered over and over again! Even the dollar store has none!

She is alright, but can't make phone calls, she can recieve them though!

I don't know who else is in the midst of the icestorm aftermath, but if you know of members in or near that area, PLEASE call and check on them. They're now saying it'll be 8 weeks or more before power is back on. Quiltys says she's fine, but it has certainly opened her eyes to gaps in their preps, and what will happen when SHTF. She says that the anger and hostility is seething just under the surface, and it won't take much to make it really ugly.

So pray for her and for everyone affected by this.

And Cat, you have a PM...

Oh my. We were feeling like roadkill after a week.

Is there anything she needs she can't get that we could mail her? Do they have mail service going? We never lost ours. That was the one thing that was still working. So...if she trusts someone with her addy and that person would like us to send things, I'm willing to sign up for this.

She's right. It is not enough. The stores will empty quickly.

Does Quilty have heat and a way to cook?

Keeping her in our prayers here. But wanting to do more...

praying for Quilty and all. Virginia posted she is without electric. Anyone else? Quilty gave excellent description of how everyone is effected by a disaster even if your area is not ground zero.

Yesterday traveled south to rural town with CERT group for door to door wellness checks and help hand out bottled water. Day five and some of the roads were just becoming safe/passable. Lots of tree damage and downed power lines. Expecting another ten days without power for all of town. I think someone said chinamart was trying to open a few hours a day with generator power? Nearly all the others were closed including grocery stores. One woman flagged us down to ask where she could buy lamp oil. Everywhere she checked was out. (All we could do was turn name/number into operations center. Granted they were under stress too but I was appalled when they laughed and said SOL, everyone is out). A number of the homes we checked, people were gone. Apparently using the break in weather to make a run to surrounding towns for supplies. Assuming they had enough gas in car to get there. Also neighbors would report some of the elderly had children or family who came from out of area and took them home with them. City was still waiting for semi-load of water to show up. They were periodically sending a pick up truck somewhere to get small loads of the canned water. Dusk to dawn curfew was still in place. I can imagine how hard it would be if temps still below freezing. Thankfully the weather was quite warm and lot of the severe ice was melting. That of course added some hazards with more falling limbs and people wanting to get to out clear debris while power lines still down. A few were outdoors cooking on bbq grills or melting snow in big pots on propane burners. Take care everyone and stay warm. grouphug2

Oh and one person related scalping going on. People being charged $12 gallon for kerosene when it's was usually $4 and the price of generators doubling/tripling.

Good grief! We're without broadcast TV and haven't seen the news. Granny, approximately where are you in relation to Quiltys?

Do let us know if we can help in anyway. We were not affected by the storm, although we did get a few 'snow days' off last week.

Prayers for Quiltys and all affected by this - and yeah, it certainly is a major wake up call!

Mtn Mama, don't feel bad that you haven't seen anything about this... I haven't seen more than a few seconds of coverage on it! For whatever reason, it seems like it's getting ignored... yet I just saw a report that more than a million people are without power from this storm.

JCK88, I don't know for sure, but I would tend to think she's ok as far as heat and cooking... she has told several folks that called her that she's "doing ok". I'll get the message to her about mailing things and see what she wants to do.

DH is talking to a friend in NW Arkansas (Bella Vista area) now about conditions there. It's pretty grim up there as well. Interesting that there is little coverage in the MSM; certainly not the proportions of, say, Katrina. And those floods last May in Iowa/Indiana didn't get a lot of attention after the initial deluge.

Oh well. Babysteps, if you do talk to Quiltys, remind her I'm not all that far away if there's anything I can do to help. We're about 80 miles south/east of Nashville and I know she's further west near Weakley county.

praying

Just got a little update... she DOES have heat, and food, but with no power they are struggling for water (deep well). I've been told someone is working on getting a genny to her, so hopefully that issue will be resolved quickly.

I'll pass your message along, Mtn Mama!

I'm sure it's not easy but I believe that Quiltys is a dedicated prepper and that will help a lot. She will be in my thoughts. I'm glad she has taken time to encourage all of us to keep prepping and to take this as a warning to look even more closely into what could happen. ((((Quiltys)))))praying

bighug

puppyinwindowsnow.gif

praying from here too.

I'm not sure who else would be in the line, but, Mother Earth could be too and Mom11 could be. There are several who could be.

Please be sure to let Quiltys we are praying fsor her and others. Let her know we are all thinking about her.

HUGS37.gifHAVEAGOODDAYWINTERGIRLANDSNOWMAN.gif

I am also willing to help. I have noticed the post office gets out rather quickly no matter how bad it gets. Can mail things or deliver to southern misouri/northern arkansas. I don't have anyones phone number or list of general locations to call and check on other members. So need to identify 4-5 central contacts spread out across the country for this and future events.

First off, I want to thank you all so much for the prayers! They were really really needed! Any my what a mess we found ourselves in. The storm itself wasn't too bad here as ice storms go, but it was the aftermath that got us. The worst of it was about 20 miles to our north. and we are on the same phone/electric companies as those hardest hit are. So even though we had already cleaned up the mess and were trying to get back to normal, those effected the worst became refugees and headed straight for our town, the next on the map. I'm so tired, and it's late here, but in the next couple of days, I will write out a thread/post on what I have in my journal. Some warnings on what we had happen to us here and some things that yall need to get real serious about with your preps on....again, I have to thank you for the many prayers. those are what got us through this. To lean on the Lord when things get really bad will give you the strength you need to put one foot in front of the other and get things done! God bless you all and keep you safe from harm. grouphug

Q

We're still working on getting a generator to Quilty... her power is in and out (mostly out)... so y'all might add a prayer request that we can get it to her soon!

I'm glad you were able to check in with us, Quilty!

Got on here for a few minutes anyways...dsl/phone;/electric still off and on. dsl/phone the worst. The box near the street got ran over when a neighbor slid off the road and we are way down on the list to get that fixed, so being here will be hit and miss for the next few weeks. Electric on and off as they fix those up the line from us. They have to turn us off to fix them, which is okay, but we get no warning as to when or for how long it will be off. Keep the prayers coming PLEASE....you know, I really wish there were words to tell ya' all how much those mean to us. And thank you doesn't even scratch the surface of it. I love yall more than family lol...

Q

Quilty! Glad to see you here! Still keeping you and yours in our prayers. You'll find that dealing with the stress of all this will last a bit. It will affect you in ways you didn't realize or anticipate. Hang in there, gal.

Archived