MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Can you help me plan my emergency menu?

I have sat down to plan my emergency menu meals, but my list is rather limited and I am now drawing a blank. Coming up with a breakfast menu was easy, but I am stuck on lunch and dinner ideas. What I am wanting are meals that can be made strictly from my emergency pantry and that don't include ingredients that require refridgeration or freezing.

So far I have:

*Chicken noodle soup

*Southwestern bean soup

*Taco soup

*Chicken and dumplings

*Chili

*Vegetable soup

I even have Top Ramen noodle cups added to my list, but I guess what I am looking for are meals that can be made primarily from canned foods. I am thinking worst case senerio here = limited water, no electricity, high stress, etc.

Any suggestions?

I think what you are talking about is what our Westie refers to as the first layer of preps. She says there are several. The first is "The world has turned upside down and I can't think and we've got to eat something."

For this level Westie says to keep lots of open and serve food available, this won't last for a lengthy period of time but will get you through the first few days, maybe even week of upheaval. I remember when i was just getting started and how this concept helped me.

For those days of chaos, I have a stock of completely prepared, heat and eat foods.

Vienna Sausages

Spam

Tuna

Canned Chicken

Baked Beans

Tamales

Canned Chili

Raviolis

Spaghettios

Asstd Soups

My quick and easy menus have expanded as I have learned home canning. I can take a quart of my chicken and create a large variety of meals with some minimal additions. A quart of seasoned ground beef, or beef chunks, the same thing.

Whether you are homecanning or buying commercially canned, it is a great idea to have these items on hand that could even be eaten cold if necessary. We've got some really good threads about cooking from your pantry, I'll try to locate them and bump them.

One of my new adventures is using the dehydrated foods that I've been stocking up on. As a matter of fact I plan today to do a blog entry on "Convenience Redefined". You do have to have water for rehydration, but you can get fairly creative for a 'liquid' source, like the water/juice/broth in your canned goods. Plus, having a supply of water on hand should be a top priority.

Chili Spaghetti (1 lb. boiled spaghetti noodles 1-2 cans of canned chili-topped with cheese optional)

Stir-Fry - (Greens out of the garden, dehydrated vegies, a can of chicken and some spices - thyme, chili powder, garlic, etc - served over rice)

Great Thread!

I got these recipes from Safely Gathered In (credit where credit is due!). Some might not be totally pantry only, but you can leave off what ingredients aren't (cheese). One or two might even be from here. :)

Chocolate Snack Cake

1 1/2 c all-purpose flour

1 c sugar

1/4 c baking cocoa

1 tsp baking soda

1/2 tsp salt

1/3 c vegetable oil

1 tsp white vinegar

1/2 tsp vanilla

1 c cold water

1. Preheat oven to 350. Sift dry ingredients in bowl.

2. Mix oil, vinegar, vanilla, and water and mix into dry ingredients.

3. Stir until well-blended, about a minute. Immediately pour into greased and floured pan.

4. Bake 30-35 m, or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool 15 m.

Enchiladas

2 1/2 c cold water

5 Tbsp. cornstarch

3 Tbsp. butter criso

3/4 c tomato sauce

2 Tbsp. chili powder

2 tsp. garlic powder

1/2 tsp. oregano

1 tsp. cumin

1 lb. ground meat

3 Tbsp. onion flakes

1 lb. cheese, shredded

1 can refried black beans

12 soft corn tortillas

Dissolve the cornstarch in the cold water. Bring to a boil over high heat, stirring constantly to avoid lumping. Add the dairy-free vegetable spread (fake-butter), tomato sauce, and spices. Mix thoroughly until everything is dissolved, then simmer.

Sauté the ground meat with the chopped onions. Add salt, pepper, and extra garlic powder to taste, if desired. Drain, and mix just enough sauce to keep moist.

In a large casserole dish, coat the bottom of the dish with sauce. Microwave tortillas wrapped in a paper towel for about 15 seconds to make pliable. Moisten one side of the tortilla with the sauce. Add beans, meat, cheese to the center, roll and place seam down in casserole dish. After dish has been filled, evenly coat remaining sauce on top and sprinkle with cheese. Bake at 350F for 30 minutes.

Brown Sugar Muffins

1/2 cup shortening

1 cup brown sugar

2 cups flour

1 tsp baking soda

1/3 cup powder milk

1 tsp vanilla

1 cup water

Cream shortening and sugar together. Add flour, soda, powder milk and mix. Add vanilla and water and mix. Cook in a greased muffin tin for 15-20 minutes at 350 degrees.

Coconut Curry Chicken

1 1/2 cups white rice

2 tsps curry powder

13.5-oz can coconut milk

canned chicken

2 tsp five-spice powder

1 Tbsp oil

Add rice and 3 cups of water to a saucepan. Drizzle a little oil in and turn up to high heat. Watch for the water level to boil down to the rice. When it does, turn off the heat and cover. Let sit for 15 minutes. Fluff with a fork.

Drizzle oil in a skillet. Add curry powder and cook for one minute. Add coconut milk and cook until reduced by half, about 7 minutes. Drain chicken and add to a bowl with the spices. Coat chicken. Add chicken to frying pan with warm oil and sauté for a few minutes. Add chicken to the sauce and stir to combine. Serve over rice.

Granola

14 c rolled oats (old fashioned)

1 cup chopped nuts

1 cup powdered milk

2 cups brown sugar

1-2 Tbs. vanilla

1 cup water

1 cup oil

2 tsp. salt

Combine dry ingredients in a large bowl. Add wet ingredients. Mix well. Cook at 300 degrees F for about 2 hours. Stir every 20-30 minutes. After granola has cooled, stir in dried fruit if using. Store in an airtight container.

Baked Oatmeal

1/3 c. brown sugar (or honey)

1-1/3 c. powdered milk

3/4 c. raisins or craisins

1 c. dehydrated apples

2-2/3 c. regular oats

1 Tsp Cinnamon

3-3/4 c water

2 Tbsp olive oil

1/3 c. nuts

salt-dash

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Combine all ingredients in an oven safe dish. Cover and bake for 30 minutes. Stir. Uncover and bake for an additional 30 minutes.

Oatmeal Cocoa Macaroons

3 T powdered milk

1/2 c flaked coconut

3/4 cup shortening

3 c oats

2 c sugar

1/2 c water

1/2 cup Peanut Butter (optional)

1/3 - 1/2 cup cocoa powder

Make milk from powdered milk and water. Combine coconut, oats, and cocoa powder in a mixing bowl. Line sheet pans or counter tops with wax paper. Heat shortening, milk, and sugar in a saucepan until it boils. Let it boil for ONE minute. Remove from heat and add to dry ingredients. Mix well and drop by spoonfuls onto wax paper. Let cool. Stick in fridge to speed the cooling process.

Black Bean Burgers

3 cups black beans, prepared

1/2 cup dry bread crumbs

2 Tbsp chunky salsa

1/2 tsp Tabasco sauce

1 tsp onion powder

1 tsp chili powder

1 tsp cumin

Prepare the beans, if using dry. Drain liquid from cans or prepared beans. Mash beans, add ingredients mixing well together. Form into patties and cook on a skillet over the stove in a little oil, or on the grill. Be careful when flipping so they won't fall apart. Cook on a grill over low heat for 3 minutes on each side or until they develop the crust you want. Top with salsa or other toppings.

Bean and Rice Soup

1-1/4 cups dried pinto beans

2 Tbsp whole wheat flour

3/4 cup powdered milk

taco seasoning packet

6-1/4 cups water

1/2 tsp salt

1 cup rice

2 Tbsp oil

chips

Rinse and soak beans overnight or using the quick soak method. Drain, rinse and cover the soaked beans with water. Bring to a boil then lower heat and simmer for 1-2 hours or until the beans are tender. You could also cook them all day on low heat in the crockpot. When the beans are done, drain them and set aside.

In a large saucepan, add oil and warm over medium heat. Sprinkle the flour over the warm oil and let sit for one minute. Stir together to make a paste. Let cook for one minute. Add the water and the powder milk and stir until combined. Add beans, rice, and seasonings and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and cover. Let simmer for 30 minutes. Serve with chips.

Bean Soup

1 can Great Northern beans

1 Tbsp taco seasoning

1/2 tsp onion powder

1 can kidney beans

1 can black beans

1 can tomatoes

3/4 cup salsa

1 can corn

Combine all ingredients into a pot and simmer for 30 minutes. (Or, combine it all into a crockpot and simmer).

Note: this recipe can also be made with dry beans. Simply cover all your beans with a few inches of water and soak for a few hours, or overnight. Then rinse the beans and use normally!

Homemade Refried Beans

1-16oz pkg dried pinto beans

water

salt

pepper

chili powder, optional

The night before, rinse the beans, then cover them with several inches of water in a large pot or crock pot. Leave out overnight.

In the morning, drain and rinse again. Cover with fresh water and place in crockpot on low for 6-8 hours. Check to see if the beans are done by tasting for softness.

Remove four cups of beans and a little liquid to deep skillet on stove top. Freeze remaining beans with a little water, discard majority of water. Mash beans in skillet over medium heat. Let simmer to thicken. Add seasonings to taste. Puree if desired.

Serve with salsa and any other toppings.

Crockpot Oatmeal

1 Tsp salt

1 Tsp nutmeg

8 cups of water

2 cups of steel cut oats

1 Tbsp cinnamon

1 c brown sugar

1 c raisins/dried cranberries

1 c dried apricots, chopped

2 c of powdered milk

Nuts, optional

Combine all ingredients, except nuts, in the crockpot. Cook on low heat overnight or for 8 hours.

Stir Fry Sauce

2/3 cup soy sauce

1/4 cup vinegar

1/4 cup sugar

2 tablespoons cornstarch

1/2 teaspoon ground ginger

6 tablespoons cold water

sesame oil

Combine first three ingredients in a small saucepan. Heat until sugar dissolves. Combine cornstarch, ginger, and water in a small bowl. Add to saucepan. Bring to a boil and simmer to desired thickness. Stir in a few drops of sesame oil.

Campbelled Eggs

Combine 1 can cream of chicken soup with 6-8 eggs in a blender. Blend until smooth. Pour into a preheated, greased fry pan and cook as you would scrambled eggs.

Chocolate Chip Cookies

½ tsp. salt

1 tsp. vanilla

1 p brown sugar

2 ¼ c wheat flour

½ tsp. baking soda

2 c chocolate chips

1 tsp. baking powder

½ c cooked white beans

4 eggs (1/4 C. Egg Powder + 1/2 C. Water)

Beat beans and sugar together. Add eggs, vanilla. In separate bowl sift together flour, baking soda, baking powder and salt. Add flour moisture to bean/sugar mixture. Stir until well blended. Stir in chocolate chips, and nuts. Cover and refrigerate dough for 1 hour. Preheat oven to 350°F. Drop by tablespoonfuls onto greased cookie sheet. Bake 10-15 minutes depending on size of cookies. Makes 4 dozen.

Curried Lentils and Rice

1 tsp salt

2 cups rice

1 tsp honey

4 cups water

1 cup brown lentils

1 Tbsp vegetable oil

1 Tbsp curry powder

1/2 tsp powdered onion

1 Tbsp balsamic vinegar

Cook rice according to package directions. Heat oil and curry powder together in a large saucepan over medium-high heat. Add the onion powder and cook for 2 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add the water and lentils and bring to a boil; reduce heat. Cover and simmer 22 minutes, until lentils are soft. Remove from heat; stir in the honey, vinegar, and salt. Ladle over bowls of rice. Top with cilantro and sour cream if rotating.

Cheesey Mac n Cheese

canned cheddar cheese sauce

elbow mac

milk

Cheesey Rice

(same but with rice)

Nachos

canned ground beef

taco seasoning mixed in

canned cheddar or nacho cheese sauce

Hormel chili with no beans

canned black olives

canned jalepenos if desired

Mix and heat. Serve with

tortilla chips/scoopable corn chips

**If you have on hand at the time of the emergency, you can top with the usual lettuce/tomatoes/sour cream, etc. It does work as is though if necessary.

canned fruit

dehydrated fruit; apples

http://www.seasonalchef.com/appledehyd.htm

before drying sprinkle cinnamon and sugar.. make slices, rings, diced

(dehydrating other foods http://www.seasonalchef.com/recipesAtoN.htm )

apple crisp

3 cups Dehydrated Apple Slices

Topping:

4 cups water

1 cup granulated sugar

1 cup all-purpose flour

1 ¾ tsp cinnamon

½ tsp salt

½ cup soft butter or margarine

Bring apple slices to a boil in water. Remove from heat. Mix sugar, cinnamon, and salt and stir into apple slices. Spread mixture in 8 x 8 x 2 inch pan. Sift remaining sugar, flour, and salt. Cut into butter until mixture is as fine as corn meal. Spread as topping over apple slices. Bake at 400° for about 30 minutes. Serve warm or cold with milk or cream if desired.

** Variation: Half the flour may be substituted with non-fat dry milk. Also try using applesauce as part of the filling for a tarter flavor.

apple pie

3 1/2 C. dried apples

2 C. water

3/4 C. sugar

1 t. cinnamon

1/4 tsp Nutmeg

Cook apples until tender. The apples wil rehydrate during the cooking and baking process. Add sugar and cinnamon. Fill and top with pie crust and bake 30 minutes at 350 degrees.

Dried Apple Cake

1/2 lb dried apples, chopped

4 cups water

1 cup sugar

1 recipe dry baking mix

1 1/2 cup sourdough starter (see listing)

1/2 cup brown sugar

1 tsp cinnamon

1/2 tsp nutmeg

1/4 cups margarine

Cook dried apples in 4 cups water until tender. Drain an save juice. Measure 2 cup juice, adding water if needed. mix 1/4 cups sugar with dry baking mix; stir in sourdough starter to moisten flour. Turn out onto a floured surface, knead lightly, pat or roll to a 12x18in rectangle. Sprinkle with apples. Roll, starting at short end; cut into 12 slices. Put remaining sugar, brown sugar, cinnamon, nutmeg, margarine and the 2 cups apple liquid into a Dutch oven. Bring to boil. Gently lower apple cake slices into hot syrup. Bake for 35-40 minutes

One of many Sourdough starters..

Sourdough potato bread starter ingredients

* BEGINNING STARTER

* 1 pk Active-Dry yeast

* 1 c Warm water

* 3⁄4 c Sugar

* 3 T instant potatoes

* FEED FOR STARTER

* 3⁄4 c Sugar

* 1 c Warm water

* 3 T Inst. potato, heaping

Cooking Sourdough potato bread starter

1. Dissolve yeast in water,add sugar & potatoes.

2. Stir until dissolved.

3. let stand at room temperature all day or overnight before refrigerating.

4. Starter should be made 3-5 days before beginning bread.

5. Keep starter in refrigerator 3-5 days.

6. Take out and feed with feed mixture.

7. After mixing in feed mixture, let starter stand at room temperature all day or night (8-12 hrs).

8. Cover with a paper towel or cloth.

9. It will not rise, only bubble.

10. Take out one cup to use in making bread & return rest to refrigerator.

11. Keep in refrigerator 3-5 days and feed again.

12. if not making bread, after feeding, give or throw away 1 cup. It must be fed every 3-5 days to increase bulk.

Cherry Pie

3 C. dried cherries

3 C. boiling water

1/2 C. flour

1 C. sugar

Cover cherries with water and let soak for 30 minutes. Simmer and add sugar and flour to thicken. Pour into pie crust and add top crust. Bake at 400 degrees for about 35 minutes.

Peach Pie

3 C. dried peaches

3 C. boiling water

2/3 C. flour

1 C. sugar

2 t. cinnamon

1/4 t. nutmeg

Cover fruit with water and let soak for 30 minutes. Simmer and add sugar, spices and flour to thicken. Pour into pie crust, dot with butter, and cover with pie top. Bake at 400 F for 30 minutes

Harvest Cake

2 3/4 C. Dried Apples (soak in warm water for about an hour)

2 C. Sugar

3 C. Flour (can use white or whole wheat or combination)

1 C. Oil

1 C. Chopped Nuts

2 tsp. baking Soda

2 tsp. Vanilla

2 Eggs

Mix apples and sugar. Let set for an hour. Sift together soda and flour. Beat eggs, oil, and vanilla together. Add apples and oil mixture to flour. Mix and bake in greased & floured tube pan for 1 hour in 350 degrees oven.

look up NO Bake Cookies

Sometimes "emergency cooking" is just thinking of your preps in a different way.

For example... you have a can of chili.

Add in equal amounts of "minute Rice" and water + a little more water because the chili may be thick, bring to a boil, and then cover and let sit for 5-10 minutes until the rice is rehydrated. Season to taste.

Your one can of chili just stretched to feed more people, plus it's not "just" chili.

If you can add in beans, or corn, or chopped fresh veggies, or use macaroni instead of the rice (need more water and longer simmering time), you have something "different" for the family.

If you have tortillas or flatbread, you can make a bigger pot of rice, add in the chili, and wrap it up in tortillas.

I look at my foods as -

What do I have?

What goes together well?

What is nutritious?

How can I vary it?

**When you go out, collect the little packets of condiments they give out. (I'm NOT talking about *stealing* handfuls!) Pizza Hut gives me packets of Parmesan cheese and red pepper. We use my bulk cheese in the refrigerator, and if I run out, or if we have no money to buy it, I have the packets which last nearly forever.

piesmiley4.gif

I have a 'true' emergency meal........in a stapled shut paper bag............that sits in my pantry. It is always there, a comfort to me. It is a large can of Bushe's beans. 2 cans of B&M brown bread. 2 cans of canned potato salad, 3 lg cans of fruit....and a can opener. Also a serving spoon & utensils, napkins.

6 bottles of water, and the add in instant flavoring, tea etc.; and 6 plastic plates, bowls, and cups.

Nothing here requires heating. It is also a meal I can grab and go, if need be.

I 'used' to keep a sleeve of cookies in there. Very large 2-legged 'mice', would often liberate the cookies.

So in that, I chose not to fight. They just are not there anymore.

If you place all the ingredients together, [like a sack] in the time of upset, it is there.

I have done this with other meals,[most do require heating], so if I have 'help' all is together. An unexpected foot surgery proved the merits of this action. My foot hurt like the dickens, but everyone thought I was so smart to have an 'instant' meal.

Thanks for all the suggestions and recipes girls. How could I have forgot about spaghetti and ravioli????? :wacko: I've never even heard of potato salad in a can. That is something I will have to look for. I wonder how it tastes? I love the meal in a sack idea. I know my husband would greatly appreciate that for times when I am sick.

Stephanie, I did do a search before posting, but I did not come up with anything. I was thinking surely there would be several threads on this particular subject.

One thing I did come across while surfing the Net is fruit salad. The one recipe that caught my eye was a recipe for pineapple and mandarine organges that had been sprinkled with a generous amount of instant vanilla pudding. I'm sure you could use whatever fruit you had on hand though.

How rude of me to ask for your ideas and recipes when I don't offer mine in return.

Southwestern Bean Soup

1 lb. browned ground beef (you can omit this)

1 can pinto beans

1 can navy beans

1 can great northern beans

1 can whole kernel corn

1 can tomotoes with diced green chilies *

1 envelope ranch dessing mix

Mix it all in pot (including juices) and simmer until done. If you have shredded cheese, you can serve that on top of individual servings.

*I buy the Aldi brand of diced tomatoes and green chilies ~ which is way too spicey for our family. I usually add a regular can of diced tomatoes and a couple of heaping tbls. of the tomatoes and green chilies as a substitute for what the original recipe calls for. So all of this to say that you may have to experiment with this particular ingredient to make it to your liking.

Taco Soup

I know everyone has a recipe for Taco Soup, but the reason I like this one is because of it's generous use of protein and veggies.

1 lb. browned hamburger (optional)

1 can pinto beans

1 can black beans

1 can corn

1 can diced tomatoes

1 small onion chopped. (I just eye ball it and add to taste)

1 packet taco seasoning

1 packet ranch dressing mix

Mix it all in a pot and simmer until done. Serve over tortilla chips or corn chips. You can add sour cream and shredded cheddar if you have it on hand. When the you-know-what hits the fan, I doubt I will have chips on hand, so I just plan to serve it as is. Also the original recipes calls for all the juices to be added to the pot; however, I like mine a little thick so I omit the juice from a couple of cans.

Insurance and everyone...

I went on a searching adventure today and found a few of the other posts/threads I was referrring to. There are still some missing. I remember one in particular called "Eat What You Store" that was really good, talking about the Store what you Eat rule of thumb. But, I couldn't find it.

These that I did find would be helpful though.

http://mrssurvival.com/forums/index.php?sh...c=32175&hl= Prepper/Homestead Meals

http://mrssurvival.com/forums/index.php?sh...c=32518&hl= You Tube Series and our comments afterwards

http://mrssurvival.com/forums/index.php?sh...c=32554&hl= When Push Comes to Shove

http://mrssurvival.com/forums/index.php?sh...c=21484&hl= Poverty cooking

Hope this helps, I really think you'll enjoy reading them! :wave:

Potato Salad in a Can....

runs to get can... be right back (BRB)

Here is a link to information about the Read German Potato Salad.

http://tinyurl.com/awgtay

http://www.senecafoods.com/ourbrands/read_germanpotato.shtml

I like it. It is a vinegar/sugar base so it is a bit of sweet and sour. I prefer it hot but cold is just as good... German Potato Salad is alway hot.. right?

Read also makes a 3 Bean Salad in a can which is just as good.

http://www.senecafoods.com/ourbrands/read_beansalads.shtml

I find these on the top shelf of my local store, in the vegetable isle.

The bean salad is very good too!

I could eat the bean salad more frequently then potato salad because I like beans better!

I have dozens of these cans stored up and included in my menu as a side dish to be eaten every couple of weeks. It is a nice change of pace in a menu.

Pickling was a way to preserve a harvest and often served with dinner.. remember a pickle dish? divided into 2 or 3 maybe even 4 sections... for pickled foods to be served at dinner or lunch.

While I am not one to go get a pickle out of the refrigerator to eat <mouth watering thinking about a really sour pickle>, I often enjoy bread and butter pickles with a sandwich.

I can't stress enough how important it is to provide variety in your menu planning.

• 3 weeks later...

Day One

One can mixed vegetables (vegetables you like, whether a chop suey blend or limabeans and corn, or okra with onions and tomatoes, or black olives and cocktail onions)

Enough rice to feed family

Soy sauce and/or salad vinegar and/or oil-and-vinegar salad dressing

Cook rice using liquid from canned vegetables and only as much extra water as needed. Try to keep it a little bit on the dry side.

Stir in vegetables and a little tiny bit of soy sauce/vinegar/whatever

Spread in bowls for family members. This is quite good cold, by the way, and can be made a long way ahead of time.

Let each person add as much extra soy sauce or whatever as he or she wants. Put catsup on the table in case anyone wants this instead. This lets each person exercise some control over his or her environment without giving a paralyzing array of choices.

If you have people who insist on a bit of meat, chip up a little bit of ham or crumble a slice of bacon for each person.

Day Two

1 box Macaroni and cheese with real cheese (meaning Velveeta, usually)

Enough plain macaroni noodles to stretch that box to feed everyone

1 dollop Mayonnaise

1 can chicken or tuna

Boil up all the macaroni together with the drainings from the can of tuna or chicken

Stretch the cheese pouch a little bit by stirring in the mayo, and maybe a bit of white sauce if you have a lot of people to feed, then stir in the meat

Day Three

spaghetti noodles, enough to feed everyone plentifully (you can pinch back once you're not in shock)

lots of sauce -- do not doctor it up by frying sausage or onions, because you don't want that smell to carry

plenty of parmesan

toast (use up whatever bread you have left over)

You can have the children toast their own bread on bare lightbulbs.

Day Four (particularly good in the South)

1 can of blackeyed peas or pink-eyed purple hull peas for every three or four eating equivalents (you are one, and you are what everyone else is measured by; a preschooler is 1/2 or less compared to you; a teenaged boy is probably two or three of your eating equivalents)

fresh hot cornbread made just the way you like it, whether that's crackling bread, or with a can of Mexicorn in it, or whether that's plain old Jiffy

Serve with bread on the side, or with the peas mushed up in the bread, or however you like it.

It's important that everyone know they can have peanut butter and jelly instead if they want, especially if these are people not used to eating together or having someone else choose the menu. This also adds the element of choice that cuts way back on friction and panic, and soothes the digestion. You can pinch back on the options once you're not in shock. It's also important to have complete proteins in each solid meal.

• 6 months later...

Surely you can, it would be my pleasure. You should be able to just click on the blog area and go to mine from there. Or click on me and go to my profile and click the blog listed there?? I think? If you have any trouble let me know and here's a link to that Convenience Redefined that I mentioned in this thread. :)

http://mrssurvival.com/forums/index.php?au...p;showentry=189

Stephanie, can I please read your blog?

Cowboy Beans:

Choose your measurements of corn, hamburger meat, pintos beans, tomato sauce & taco seasoning. Brown meat (or use a jar or 3). Drain. Combine all ingredients in a pan & simmer til heated through or you're ready to eat. I typically simmer rapidly for at least 15m, then turn it to low to simmer until we're ready for dinner. Sometimes I cook it all up & throw it in the crockpot too. Serve over cornbread! Such an easy & versatile recipe!

Archived