MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

What are you dehydrating today?

Rezgirl

You can't really make flakes like the commercial variety since we don't have the same equipment and processing methods, but with regular dehydrating you will ultimately achieve a powder.

You were headed in the right direction so I don't know what happened. That's why I asked about the milk/butter issue. Maybe they were too lumpy to dry properly.

The notes I have are: "Cook the potatoes, mash them thoroughly so there are no lumps and then dehydrate them. You'll want to make them watery so they'll pour evenly on the plastic sheet. Don't use any type of butter or milk because the grease will go bad during storage. When they are brittle sheets, let them cool and crumble them into an airtight container. "

• Replies 222
  • Created
  • Last Reply

OK, maybe that was the problem, I didn't mash them really well. I will try again, but this time I will either mash better or use the mixer :)

And they weren't watery, so maybe I will add some water as well.

Thanks,

lets see

I have20 lbs of apricots (about 5 lbs that were ready to dehydrate in right now)

I have 32 lbs of cherries (sharingsome,then-- woohoo --drying andcanning)

I have about 8 lbs of banans

zucchini, cherries(will this never end?)and onion.

Just tried out my shiney new dehydrator.

We bought 5 quarts of strawberries. Froze 2, cut up 1 for eating on ice cream now, and did 2 quarts in the dehydrator. They look pretty good. Small, but good. lol. The flavor really gets concentrated doesn't it ! I want to sdo more, more More !! this could get adictive. Mea.

Hey Ya'll,

I bought 20 dozen ears from a local farmer and dehydrated half. Normally I get the frozen bags from Sams and do them, but there is NO comparison. Is smells almost buttery with sugar when its done! YUM. GOt about 50 lbs of red potatoes. I experimented with chopping kinda small but leaving the skins on. I boiled shortly and applied the lemon spray.. they came out very well, skins intact. I will do slices next. Been wondering about shredded.. DO you shred first and then blanch?.

Maranatha!

I shredded first and then nuked them, but I think next time I'll use a pot and then drain. They seemed sticky when they came out of the microwave.

Today I just threw in 1 tray shredded cabbage and 1 tray shredded carrots.

I was making coleslaw so I said what the heck! LOL Did the whole head and 4 big carrots and then divided it all in half. The dried will be very handy for winter soups. yum!

So far sun dried tomatoes squash onion peppers. I found I like dried tomatoes better than canned and that has been the only thing out of garden since sun started cooking everything (in Texas 100+deg everyday lately

Got my FD 61 Nesco American Harvester. It is alot bigger than I thought it would be, so that is terrific! :happy0203:

I picked up fresh mushrooms, celery and lots of bananas to do this next couple of days, have some apples to do up and will dehydrate a bag of mixed veggies from the freezer to see how they turn out.

There are crab treats in the little recipe and dehydration book, for cats! I do have a can of salmon, wonder if that would be worth trying?

( My cat came home about 3 weeks ago from being GONE for four months, very thin and very instinctive and protective but he has relaxed and is getting lots of special stuff, and I thought making him some treats might be nice. If I dried them crunchy, maybe that would be ok? )

My cat came in after a night of gallivanting and he has a very sore left front paw, he pulled ( under some duress), the dew claw right off. Ive doctored it, and hope the swelling will go down ok. He is eating and drinking fine and resting. So those treats might come in handy soon! :pray: he will be ok. His paw is swollen. Trying to keep him inside might be difficult as he is a rascal about being able to leave when HE wants to go. I am thinking of making a crushed ice pack in a ziploc bag wrapped in a wash cloth for it, what do you think? PM me, anyone.

One of my co-workers gave me a big bag of purple basil, so that's going in tonight along with all the leaves I can pull off the plants in the aerogarden.

Archived