MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Guess what I just discovered....

Sometime back I was reading The Tightwad Gazette. I cannot remember which book it was in, but one of them stated that you could substitute soy flour for the use of eggs in all of your baking. So, I bought a box (at Wal-Mart) and added it to my preps to be tried at a later time. I think it cost just a little over $2 for a 1-1/2 pound box and it is by Hodgsen Mill.

Yesterday my husband decided he was going to take the day off and requested blueberry muffins for breakfast. Of course I was out of eggs, so I thought this would be the perfect time to try out the soy flour. Guess what? It worked beautifully! You could not tell any difference. My husband was anticipating a total flop, but he commented on how good they were.

One heaping tbls. + 1 tbls. water is the equivelent of 1 egg. I also noticed on the back of the box that it said you could make your own soy milk. I thought that too might be good for people who have to drink soy milk due to food allergies or whatever. It also gave a recipe for making soy bread.

I thought this was too great to keep to myself, so I just had to share with you all, but maybe you knew this already???? I think this is a wonderful thing to have in my emergency pantry. I'm going to have to get more.

Well...

If I ever read this one, I probably filed it in the "Oh, sUUUUUUre" :rolleyes: file and forgot about it. :blush:

Thank you for actually trying it and reporting back!!!

**Making a note to pick up soy flour...**

:bighug2:

BY THE WAY... Here's the website - http://www.tightwad.com/

T-Wad last updated 04/16/01, but there's still lots of "goodies"!

Hey that is GREAT to know about soy flour. I will get some for my preps. I am dependent on store bought and if I have a hard time getting no 10 cans of dehydrated eggs then I know I will have another substitute for baking with 'eggs'. THANKS!!!!

So... I picked a package up tonight at out local grocery chain. It was across the aisle from the regular flours, so if you don't find it at first, look for the specialty flours.

Mine is from "Bob's Red Mill", one pound cellophane bag, and it cost me $2.69.

The back says, among other things, that using soy flour will reduce the amount of fat absorbed if you use it in frying batters or dough.

And to make soy milk, use 1 cup soy flour and 3 cups water. Bring the water to a boil, then slowly pour the soy flour into the water, stirring constantly with a whisk. Reduce heat and simmer for 20 minutes, stirring occasionally. Line a colander with cheesecloth or nylon mesh, strain mixture through it, and refrigerate immediately. May be flavored with sweetner, vanilla, or other flavoring if desired.

Interesting!!!

Thanks again, Insurance... I'll be trying the egg thing soon!

:bighug2:

I baked cornbread to serve with last night's dinner. I'm STILL out of eggs, so I used the soy flour again. (If I had been thinking, I would have also used the butter flavored Crisco in place of the butter.) It turned out great, and for some reason it seemed a little more moist than usual. I'm not sure if that was due to the soy or if I baked it for just the right amount of time or what, but I ended up having two pieces because it was so good ~ that is something I never do!

Before I tried using the soy, I did a quick search on the Internet just to see what opinions were out there. I only came across 2 people who said it did not work and both of them had used it for making brownies. I am wondering what went wrong or if maybe it was a just a fluke. If anyone makes brownies with the soy, would you please post about the results?

The package says "Keeps best refrigerated or frozen."

See more info and products here:

http://www.bobsredmill.com/

This is the soy flour I found and bought.

http://www.bobsredmill.com/product.php?pro...=107&page=3

They also have "Organic Soy Flour" and "Lowfat Soy Flour" as well as a host of other products, like gluten-free products, bean soup mixes, and dry mixes.

Fun site to explore!! ;)

Thanks for the reminder! I read this about a year ago in the BRM cookbook and had forgotten in. Bob's Red Mill is about 40 minutes away from us...we need to go again. Hmmm. Tax Time! :)

I just bought the Bob's brand, $2.29 for 1lb . It was last bag. Also bought a bag of organic soy flour from Arrowhead Mills, 1.5lb , for $2.99. Both of these were in the Organic Foods section of my store. ( Martins/Giant).

So, I wonder if it would keep good if I vacuum seal it? I have no room in the freezers.

I just bought the Bob's brand, $2.29 for 1lb . It was last bag. Also bought a bag of organic soy flour from Arrowhead Mills, 1.5lb , for $2.99. Both of these were in the Organic Foods section of my store. ( Martins/Giant).

So, I wonder if it would keep good if I vacuum seal it? I have no room in the freezers.

I love this idea! Like the rest of you I am eager to try it.

It is best stored in the fridge or freezer because it has a high (er) fat content and will go rancid if not stored properly over time. I have used soy flour for baking and cooking but never as egg replacer.

There are other substitutions...

I'm guessing you add an equal amount of water.

~~~~

*Try arrowroot. Known for its easily digestible starch, it can be used to replace eggs in small batch recipes (4 or fewer servings). 2 Tablespoons = 1 egg

*Then there is always cornstarch: 2 Tablespoons = 1 egg.

*Potato starch is good, too: again, 2 Tablespoons = 1 egg.

*1 heaping Tablespoon soy powder = 1 egg

These four substitutes are meant for use in baking. I have had good results using arrowroot and potato starch in German Potato Salad...but I wouldn't push it any further. When it comes to sauces and dressings, lump it or leave it.

Dennis Craven

http://www.slashfood.com/bloggers/dennis-craven/page/2/

~~~~

:)

GOODAFTERNOONMORNINGOREVENINGANYTIM.gif

Wow, this is all very interesting, I had never heard of using Soy Flour instead of eggs. Nor, arrowroot, so this is great to know. :) You learn something new every day you know. :)

THANKYOUSOMUCH2-1.gif for posting this information. :)

SNOWMANHUGSINPURPLE.jpgHAVEAGOODDAYWINTERGIRLANDSNOWMAN.gif

pretty much follow the amounts above.

There was a thread on this a few years back... I wonder if it survived the move? I will have to look for the thread.

pretty much follow the amounts above.

There was a thread on this a few years back... I wonder if it survived the move? I will have to look for the thread.

GOODAFTERNOONCHOCKBOARD.gif

Sounds good, THANKYOUSOMUCH2-1.gif for the info Wes. :)

Boy do I have some printing to do. :) But, I'll wait until you find the other post. :)

SNOWMANHUGSINPURPLE.jpgHAVEAGOODDAYWINTERGIRLANDSNOWMAN.gif

hear ya go...

EGG SUBSTITUTES

Chef Deborah

Ener-g Type Egg Replacer

1 cup potato starch

3/4 cup tapioca flour

2 tsp. Baking powder

Mix all well.

Store in airtight container.

To use:

1 & 1/2 tsp powder + 2 TBS water = 1 egg.

1 & 1/2 tsp powder + 1 TBS water = 1 egg yolk.

When measuring, press powder firmly into measuring spoon.

----

Egg Substitute

1 TBS soy flour

2 TBS water

Mix well.

Equals 1 egg.

----

Flax Meal Egg Substitute

2 tsp flax meal

2 TBS warm water

In a small bowl, mix flax meal and warm water.

Beat until mixture has the consistency of egg.

Equals 1 egg.

----

Tofu Egg Substitute

1/4 cup whipped Tofu

Some liquid from recipe

Mix well.

Equals 1 egg.

Egg Substitute

1 Tbs cornstarch

2 Tbs water

Mix well.

Equals 1 egg.

Good for quick breads and cookies.

Not so good for cakes.

from cooking with canned foods http://mrssurvival.com/forums/index.php?sh...c=17369&hl= this thread needs a bump.

Archived