MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Biscuitmaker is back

BiscuitMaker

Ladies it is great to be back---We moved Nov. 1, it took two moving vans (one smaller) and 8 men two days to move us! Did I mention that I have food storage? I would like to say now that most of that was my DH garage that's my story and I am sticking with it.

You do not know what you have until you pack it and now as I unpack I am tossing a lot.

We found a new house on 1 acre with trees and in Texas that is something. We have a front porch and a covered back patio. We love to sit outside and now we can sit out and hear the birds and and see the stars.

We are happy as can be------.

We live about 8 miles from a small town of 35 thousand.

The house is smaller than our last but it is very nice and has a great kitchen and pantry. I do have less storage but I will work that out. In life evrything is a trade off, so I took the porch!!!

We have deer and I have seen a wild turkey several miles away so they are in the area.

I feel so relaxed now that the move nightmare is over, living out of boxes for 6 months had my mood very raw.

I missed everyone and all the help and all the fun. I am cooking again I used unpacking as an excuse to go the Cracker Barrell for about 2 months, ok I admit it I milked that for all it was worth.

We have to put in a yard, right now it is a mud pit. I don't think we can get a garden in this year but we will see.

It will not be as big as Darlene's garden but it will be nice. Now I need to start canning and such and baking bread.

Well just wanted to let you know I am here and I am glad.

:D Welcome back! It's great to hear you love your new place but we've missed you around here!

What kind of mud? Kaliche? Solid clay? what do you need to do to it this year in order to have it in planting shape next year?

A city of 35k is big enough to have at least one riding stable and some Asplundh (or another company) going around trimming trees and grinding the trimmings into chips. Around here if you call Asplundh and offer to let them dump chips in your yard they will even spread them for you. Then you can till them in to lighten your clay, if that's what the ground needs. The stable is an off chance, but might have straw (or peanut hulls) and manure free for the taking. Or very cheap.

If you need a grand kick-start on a compost pile, take a clean trash can with a good lid to the Cracker Barrel you've already established relations with and ask them to dump their eggshells and coffee grounds (but NO OIL!) in there. You have to make a commitment to come get it daily, or when it's full, whichever occurs first. Waffle House is also a good place to try. You can also talk to a roadside vegetable stand about taking all their bruised and rotten throwaways for your chickens and rabbits. In good times, they throw out enough you'll be getting a surprising amount of your own vegetables from those, but in bad times they sell more (unless their prices are high). The truly inedible stuff is good for your compost pile, and your chickens will enjoy the rest. You might consider putting the chickens close enough to the compost pile to harvest the flies then tend to cluster before a pile matures.

Moving into a new place reminds me of a poster I used to have over my bed: We are faced with insurmountable opportunities!

Well we have sand mostly and some rock but the builder put in some fill and it is muddy after a rain.

Now horse manure I should be able to get as we live in the cutting horse capital of the world!! Really We have two horse hospitals here and everywhere I see pastures full of horses and I mean hundreds of them. They really are beautiful animals.

We are getting some really good dirt next week if it is not too wet for the truck.

I hope to get the area for the garden tilled with the new dirt. So that is a start.

Working full time sure takes up the time but it helps pay the bills, I aways fell if I only had more time, I am sure everyone has that feeling.

Thanks for all the great ideas-----I love this place.

Archived