MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

What are you canning today? Part 6

Cat

Mish,

Do you mean green beans and potatoes in the same jars, then add the onions and parsley ? You should use the instructions for mixed vegetables. Be sure to peel the potatoes, in case you did not know that. They harbor botulism spores in the peels. They cannot be scrubbed even to rid them of possible contamination.

Since there is not a canning guideline for mixing those things we suggest using the one for mixed veggies. The density will be different when you mix things and the processing time needs to be compensated for the unknown density.

Tammy, I am again, not sure of the density, but would think it Ok. As long as they are in broth, water or tomato juice. No added bread crumbs, oatmeal, etc.

Sorry, no broccoli or cauliflower in the soup. They will be strong and mushy, too. Best to freeze that mixture.

• Replies 205
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I picked 20 lb of blackberries today, and I could have picked 20 more but those that I was with wanted to leave. @@

I made 6.5 pints of jam, have a bunch in the freezer, will make more jam, and might make a pie tomorrow.

I canned the blueberries (qts), and some of the blackberries (1 qt, the rest pints). I think I filled them too high as when I took the top off the canner (used as a BWB) the water was as black as squid ink. I left the jars in for 5 min, then when I took them out they started hemorrhaging berry juice. Ok, it was just a steady leak, but it seemed like a lot! :D Half have sealed, and I'll check the others soon, If they don't seal, I guess I'll remove some of the berries/juice and reprocess?

Sorry Vi--I didn't make that very clear.

I mean onions and parsley in with green beans or with potatoes. Y'know--fer flavor.

Any spice suggestions for either??

(I tried the dilly beans in the BBB--yum....can't wait till they sit for a bit!)

Thanks!

Sorry, no broccoli or cauliflower in the soup. They will be strong and mushy, too. Best to freeze that mixture.

Thanks Violet for responding :wub: .....

I don't really care about the mushy part because I was thinking if I filled the quart jar up with califlower, onions, celery, carrots and chicken broth then when I needed it for soup I would just blend it all up to make a creamy califlower soup; which is mushy anyhow. You did say 'strong' though and that caught my attention.... strong as is overpowering yecky strong? :)

I'm looking for my new Ball book and maybe there is something in there?

I'm hoping to do a few more batches of cherry jam today. IF my big bucket of them thaws in time. If not tomorrow. :) I have dh checking on prices for bushels of peaches and pears today. We are in a bit of a holding period waiting for the garden to produce more. With our crazy weather a lot just isn't producing well.

Tammy,

You will only find cauliflower in pickled items. It will be real strong, think stinky bad cabbage smell.

Thanks for the info Violet.... I don't want stinky bad cabbage smelling cauliflower soup! LOL

Lord have mercy................

:0327:

I canned 10 pints of meatballs 2 days ago and 6 pints of green/wax beans today. I also dehydrated zuks which equalled one quart...

Wahhhhhhhhhhhhh all my 'matos are still green on the vines..... waiting, waiting, waiting. Perhaps if we get some consistant weather above 80 degrees, things will change quickly. It's been averaging low 70's in the day and high 50's at night..... AND we are in Wisconsin.. go figure.

Must be that global warming that Al Gore's talking about...... NOT.

sheepers creepers anyhow...... :rolleyes:

Today is my very first ever attempt at canning. I have 7 quarts of peaches in the canner waiting for it to boil. I'm water bath canning them. I go to a pressure canning class on the 27th of this month. I have some left over and I don't know if I should do some pints or make jelly. The peach halves are still soaking in the citrus bath waiting for me to decide lol I'm the only one that eats jelly or jam in the house ( it's only 2 of us). I truly can't decide. I'm leaning towards jelly, because I have the sure jell in the pantry.

This last week I canned 1 quart jar of water and 4 pints of green beans. It was my first true attempt to can in my new pressure canner and they all sealed. And look great. Nytehunter and I canned up 11 jars of dill pickles yesterday. I will be canning more pickles and beans in the next few days. I was going to can potatoes, but I bought russets and I don't think they will hold up canned also I couldn't find pickle crisp in the store and I wasn't sure if pickle lime was the same thing. So I guess I'll dehydrate those.

Jingles,

Ball no longer sells Pickle Crisp. You will need to order caldium chloride online, or I think some wine making shops sell it.

Pickling lime is not the same. It is very caustic and you must rinse and rinse and rinse that stuff to get it off. It won't work on potatoes, since the lime would be only for soaking. If you added it to the jars it would be deadly. Russets really don't hold up well to canning. Some folks do use them, but I use Yukon Gold and red ones.

Do your dill pickles have brine that is at least 5 % acicity vinegar ? If you used an old pickle recipe, it probably won't have enough acid. Vinegar used to be between 7 and 40 percent acidity. Can you imagine that stuff taking your breath away ?

I just love how I'm being encouraged in my attempts to can for the very first time.....not. Thanxs for nothing folks! Thats ok. I'll push on by myself. ;)

oh. and I still have to log in after every click on this board.....like ya all care. ppfftt!

I just love how I'm being encouraged in my attempts to can for the very first time.....not. Thanxs for nothing folks! Thats ok. I'll push on by myself. ;)

oh. and I still have to log in after every click on this board.....like ya all care. ppfftt!

You did not ask for help or advice, nor did your post suggest that you were unsure or nervous about canning peaches.

Not every post on this thread generates a specific personal response.

Yanno, Oink, I can't help but notice that you have been nasty and sarcastic when folks have repsonded to some of your other posts on the board, even to the point of making a very foul-mouthed entry in your blog about it, and now you are snarky that there hasn't been a lot of response to your canning announcement.

There are some very sweet and gentle ladies here, especially on the canning forum. (I am obviously not one of the sweet or gentle folk) but I can certainly understand why they might be reluctant to risk "crossing" you again.

Oink, for some reason you have seem to have a real issue lately with things.....

is there something deeper bothering you ? I am not being "smart", I am wanting to help.

You were that way with me just recently over something. Please, don't take things out on those of us that are working hard to helping folks out.

This is an INCREDIBLY busy year when it comes to food preservation. I am teaching classes, answering questions online, phone calls, helping the new volunteers here, etc.

Sometimes the best I can do is just post the information and that is it. I am doing my best.

Archived