MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

What are you canning today? Part 6

Cat

I just love how I'm being encouraged in my attempts to can for the very first time.....not. Thanxs for nothing folks! Thats ok. I'll push on by myself. ;)

oh. and I still have to log in after every click on this board.....like ya all care. ppfftt!

Hey...I was cheering for you. I just was too lazy to post my cheers and hazzahs. For that, I apologize. You go Girl! :cheer:

• Replies 205
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ol Momma, do you have the recipe posted for your marmalade ? Someone just gave me some more zucchini.

I know there are several recipes out there, but since you make one that is really good I would like to have your recipe. Thanks !!

I'll post the one I used in the kitchen. I never did scare up Mom's recipe for it (she used marachino cherries in hers) but I found several that looked good at cooks.com and just picked one to fallow... :D

Today I canned 10 qt dill pickles and 3 pts pickled beets. Still have to do another batchof blueberry jam --this time for the neighbor lady who groveled and begged for me to do it. LOL

Yesterday:

7 quarts of chicken soup and 10 pints of dill pickles

Today:

planning to do peaches and try the Ball recipe for peach BBQ sauce. I have some tomatoes from the garden that need to get done too. I figured I won't use as much water if I do a big session today. I'm about to get started now! I need to clear more counter space though!

Something fishy is going on in my kitchen. I am canning fresh tuna, 33 half pints.

I would have a few more but we are eating some for dinner.

not now, but soon, we are going to have a teaching session about this, if you don't mind!?!

It is so easy to can fish. Just basically like chicken. I do a raw pack. All my jars sealed, too. Got 33 half pints. I want to open one to see how it tastes. You know how it is.

Pickled fish can be made, but it is a fresh refrigerated food, not able to can it.

Remind me and I will post how to do all of this.

Sigh, I have 20 lbs of ground beef to get canned this weekend. I'm hoping I have enough energy after I'm done to go buy 20lbs more and get that canned as well. In between, I need to cook up another double batch of salsa and process that. My tomatoes are finally going gangbusters!

(If you don't see me for a few days, you'll know why!)

In the last 3-4 weeks I have canned: 28 pints and 4 half pints of salsa--3 quarts and 1 pint of peaches- 3 quarts of nectarines-and 3qts,and 1 pint of plums. Not a lot for 4 weeks but I just do this when I'm not having much pain or my ankles aren't swelling. I wish I didn't have the physical issues,cause I love doing the canning. It gives you a great sense of satisfaction and the jars are so beautiful to look at. And they tast so good. Katmom

Am taking a break this minute but butchered extra roosters today and am making 12-15 gallons of chicken stock and canning them tonight. I am also working on 5 boxes of apricots, making jam, apricot nectar and canning halves.

Go for it with the Tuna! I grew up canning it and it isn't hard. Store bought will never taste good again though!!!!

PS: You can freeze tuna and then can it later. It still turns out great! It is also good to brine and smoke it first and then can it!

OH help!

I think I just made a boo-boo! Violet!! *runs to hide behind you and cry*

I got a new Mirro 22 qt last week (I know, I know, why didn't I go with the Presto--even my old one is glaring at me like I'm an idiot).

Two questions:

1) 2 1/2 quarts of water is all that needs to go in that thing??? Are you kidding me? My Presto takes 2-3 inches of water. I can appreciate that since it's taller, it doesn't look like there's much--but it didn't seem like enough. Help!? *crosses fingers and prays it won't run out of water in the next 15 min*

2) My Presto gauge jiggles constantly once it's up to pressure. The Mirro is every couple of minutes (consistently). I did just find a guide that said as long as it's jiggling 2-3 times a minute, I'm good. (Why don't these instruction manuals spell out the "Little Details" a bit more clearly??) So am I good???

Anybody???

Mish,

You always use 2 ot 3 inches of water, not the quarts the manul says. It is not enough. The Mirro does only jiggle a few times a minute. To me it is easier to hear it the whole time so I know it is fine.

Also, Crazy and I have been told by a gal who sells pressure canners that Mirro parts are getting harder to find.

You can't take the canner back, I guess, since you are using it....

It will work fine, just have to learn how to use it. Some folks love the Mirro. Things will be Ok. I am sending you hugs.

Once you taste those great foods from the jars you will forget about the canner.

Well I pulled my first all-nighter of the year last night canning stock and apricots. I just have to say....if I hear one more person say "I would never want to work that hard" just because they see 14 quarts of something cooling on the counter I may blow my gasket and flip my lid. Truly, I am the only person who knows how hard I work...and I thank God for that every day. It beats the whole world knowing what is in my basement. :whistling:

The thing that makes me feel sad/pround/downright reverent is I know for a fact I'm not working nearly as hard as my grandmother did. I have never canned an entire cow in three days because I have no refrigeration or ability to freeze anything. :bow:

I guess it is hard for some to understand dedication to HARD WORK when its so easy, not to mention socially acceptable, to stand in line for a hand-out when we could be working, being productive. Working and being productive are about a LOT more than having a job with a paycheck. They are a state of mind and an internal structure. I bless the memory of hard-working, honorable grandmothers and all that they taught us.

I am rich in meaningful work!!!!! I am grateful, not looking for pity!!! :motz_6: Sorry for that rant, but it felt so good and I can't say it to the neighbors or they'll want to see my basement! I'm quite sure I'm not the only one here who has ever felt this way, too.

I'm not Violet but I'll try to help. Take a look here:

http://www.uga.edu/nchfp/how/freeze/eggs.html

Freezing

Eggs

Eggs can be stored for at least 1 month, covered in the refrigerator. Freezing is often unnecessary, but it can be done.

Preparation – Select fresh eggs and break each separately into a clean saucer. Examine each for freshness and remove any pieces of shell before mixing with other eggs.

WHOLE EGGS — Thoroughly mix yolks and whites. Do not whip in air. To prevent graininess of the yolks, add 1-½ tablespoons sugar, 1-½ tablespoons corn syrup OR ½ teaspoon salt per cup whole eggs, depending on intended use. Strain through a sieve or colander to improve uniformity. Package, allowing ½-inch headspace. Seal and freeze.

Another method of freezing a whole-egg mixture is to use ice trays. Measure 3 tablespoons of egg mixture into each compartment of an ice tray. Freeze until solid. Remove frozen cubes, and package in moisture-vapor resistant containers. Seal and freeze. Three tablespoons of the egg mixture (one cube) equal one whole egg.

EGG YOLKS — Separate eggs. Stir yolks gently. To prevent graininess, add 1-½ tablespoons sugar, 1-½ tablespoons corn syrup OR ½ teaspoon salt per cup of egg yolks, depending on intended use. Strain through a sieve. Package, allowing ½-inch headspace. Seal and freeze. One tablespoon of the yolk mixture equals one egg yolk.

EGG WHITES — Gently mix whites; do not whip. Strain through a sieve. No sugar or salt is needed. Package, leaving ½-inch headspace. Seal and freeze. Two tablespoons of the egg-white mixture equal one egg white.

:wormie2:

John

I'm not Violet but I'll try to help. Take a look here:

http://www.uga.edu/nchfp/how/freeze/eggs.html

Freezing

Eggs

Eggs can be stored for at least 1 month, covered in the refrigerator. Freezing is often unnecessary, but it can be done.

Preparation – Select fresh eggs and break each separately into a clean saucer. Examine each for freshness and remove any pieces of shell before mixing with other eggs.

WHOLE EGGS — Thoroughly mix yolks and whites. Do not whip in air. To prevent graininess of the yolks, add 1-½ tablespoons sugar, 1-½ tablespoons corn syrup OR ½ teaspoon salt per cup whole eggs, depending on intended use. Strain through a sieve or colander to improve uniformity. Package, allowing ½-inch headspace. Seal and freeze.

Another method of freezing a whole-egg mixture is to use ice trays. Measure 3 tablespoons of egg mixture into each compartment of an ice tray. Freeze until solid. Remove frozen cubes, and package in moisture-vapor resistant containers. Seal and freeze. Three tablespoons of the egg mixture (one cube) equal one whole egg.

EGG YOLKS — Separate eggs. Stir yolks gently. To prevent graininess, add 1-½ tablespoons sugar, 1-½ tablespoons corn syrup OR ½ teaspoon salt per cup of egg yolks, depending on intended use. Strain through a sieve. Package, allowing ½-inch headspace. Seal and freeze. One tablespoon of the yolk mixture equals one egg yolk.

EGG WHITES — Gently mix whites; do not whip. Strain through a sieve. No sugar or salt is needed. Package, leaving ½-inch headspace. Seal and freeze. Two tablespoons of the egg-white mixture equal one egg white.

John

Thanks WormGuy - I'm going to have to try freezing some.

10 half pints of mango jam. My first attempt ever at mango jam. Tastes pretty yummy, though kind of on the sweet side.

It's mine, all mine :girlneener: ( ok, I'll share a little with those living in my house, but nobody else). I just love mangos.

19 quarts and 2 pints of chicken. Large pot of broth is cooling and I will can it up tomorrow. I think the roast will have to wait until Tuesday. I'm pooped...

John

Archived