MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

What are you canning today? Part 6

Cat

• Replies 205
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Fruit Fresh they sell it with the other canning supplies.

Thanks! I finally got that answer from my Mom too! I felt like well Duh! But I didn't realize Fresh Fruit was a "commercial mixture of asorbic and citric acids"....lol! :D

Crankymom,

If you will add it to the syrup instead of doing a presoak you will have nicer, fresher tasting peaches. Add 1 tsp. Fruit Fresh for every cup of syrup you make. It only adds vitamin C, won't hurt you, for sure. It even says on the jar to add to the syrups.

Truthfully, I do not put my fruit in water to presoak it. Why water it down and ruin the flavor. Even if it browns before jarring, as soon as you put the syrup over them in the jars with the fruit fresh, they will become bright again.

You can also crush six 500 mg. vitamin c tablets from the store and do the same thing.

You can make your own Fruit Fresh by adding equal parts ascorbic acid powder (vitamin c powder) and then citric acid.

I had a chemist friend of mine analyze fruit fresh and those are the two main ingredients, in addition to anti-caking agents.

You will want to try to buy the vit C powder without bioflavanoids. These will lend a light color to your mixture. When you heat it, it will give it a slight off-color, but will blend into any syrup you are using for fruit or as a wash.

I use this now and really like it.

You can make your own Fruit Fresh by adding equal parts ascorbic acid powder (vitamin c powder) and then citric acid.

I had a chemist friend of mine analyze fruit fresh and those are the two main ingredients, in addition to anti-caking agents.

You will want to try to buy the vit C powder without bioflavanoids. These will lend a light color to your mixture. When you heat it, it will give it a slight off-color, but will blend into any syrup you are using for fruit or as a wash.

I use this now and really like it.

Thanks everyone for all your help. I really love this website and my rows of gleaming jars. I've been making peach cobblers lately with store bought canned peaches so a row of home canned peaches to make a cobbler with will be lovely this winter when I get the blahs. :)

I think canned fruits are summer sunshine in a jar! :feedme:

They taste *so* much better than store bought, it isn't funny.

Yes Maam, it's just a vast amount of difference. My husband doesn't quite "get it" about the enhanced flavor but he does understand the improved sanitation. I don't really need anyone else's approval though (although I admit like it!) I just love how secure a full pantry/freezer makes me feel, especially when I know most of it is organic or the next best thing to it, and it's all been canned or carefully froazen with love. :D

Well, despite a slew of interruptions and weird stuff happening (misplacing my flat lids, rings, just weird stuff!), 27 pints of pickled beets are on the counter cooling.

It's been years since I did beets, the last ones in 2006 were terrible. I'm not sure what I did wrong, but they weren't cooked as well and ended up tasting like dirt with a vinegar chaser. I followed the recipe on these exactly. I did NOT add allspice, cloves or cinnamon because I don't like spices in my beets. I did use a bit of pickling spice, though.

I did some in chunks, some thick slices, some thin, some shoestring, and some thicker shoestring. Because I used my mandoline slicer, I had some odd bits and ends which got tossed in odd jars for salads. This way, I get to see which sort I like best and plan accordingly.

The next big shove is some chicken and berries are coming NEXT weekend!

Happy canning, everyone!

I took a while off from canning this spring/early summer. I was busy getting the garden going and building my new coop as well as doing some home repairs. I didn't even read this forum until today because I didn't even want to think about canning. I had a lot of catching up to do here. You all seem to have kept busy.

Well, I started up again in July and I'm posting my total so far for July and August.

Green beans: 14 quarts of my Moms

42 pints of mine

Chicken spread: 29 half-pints (This item is no longer approved by the gov.)

Pork and beans: 50 quarts

chicken a-la-king: 5 quarts

Tomato sauce: 31 pints

BBQ sauce: 29 pints

The shelves are filling up and I'm planning to build another.

5 pickled zucchini

4 plum and carrot chutney

At the BOL there are now 24 jars of pickled zucchini all done in the old washkettle and on woodfire.

Wanted to add in here that my Costco is selling 2 really great books:

The Complete Book of Small Batch Preserving (2nd Ed) by Ellie Topp & Margaret Howard $18.99

AND

The Complete Ball Book of Home Preserving $18.99

I splurged and got them - OMG, I'm so glad I did! They are FABULOUS!

Just saw your post Christy. Thanks! It was a lot of work. The picture posted twice by accident, so only one table of canned stuff. Still I am taking the day off tomorrow to go to lunch and garage sales with my mom. We are probably going to can some corn this weekend. My uncle gave us permission to take as much sweet corn from his field as we wanted. DH went and picked over 100 ears today. :shakinghead:

Archived