MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

What are you canning today? Part 6

Cat

Yesterday was 15 pints of green beans, 9 quarts of sweet pickles. Today it's clean up for the 50 -60 lbs of apple we plan to sauce tomorrow. Our apple tree had a bumper crop and I just can't let them all go to the birds! Sunday or Monday will be 2 bushel's worth of tomatoes sauced. Then back to beans again....

• Replies 205
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Jori,

The blackberry bushes I just planted this spring are still bearing fruit. I'm surprised I got any since they are brand new!

Well, I am jealous. We planted 4 bushes and have only gotten 1 berry to ripen. Oh well, maybe next year.

Finally get to post here! 8--1/2 pints of apple butter. Apples were 35 cents a pound! No more canning til I have my canning equipment and move into the bigger travel trailer in AZ. October I can get going.

23 quarts of applesauce!!! 4 of us peeled, cored, and diced for 10 hours!!! And to think my DH almost cut that apple tree down!!! There are probably twice as many apples left out there on the tree, but I am NOT doing any more applesauce I'll be dreaming of apples for days as it is! Wish I knew someone here who wanted them... Maybe I do....

23 quarts of applesauce!!! 4 of us peeled, cored, and diced for 10 hours!!! And to think my DH almost cut that apple tree down!!! There are probably twice as many apples left out there on the tree, but I am NOT doing any more applesauce I'll be dreaming of apples for days as it is! Wish I knew someone here who wanted them... Maybe I do....

I'm jealous. We lost an entire tree of apples to a storm earlier this summer. DH actually had to do some tying of limbs so it wouldn't split. We have 4 and they are all still small. I'll be hitting one of our orchards locally or maybe trying one in Michigan this year.

Jingles. Way to go ! You can always make apple pie jam. Apple pie filling. Dried apples. Apple butter. Freeze apples. Make caramel apples for eating fresh. ( Wish I could have one, but I can't. ) Brown sugar applesauce. Apple salsa. Make apple bread, apple cake, etc. Tons of apple things you can do. The list goes on. If they are free food, I would use them as much as possible.

We have an old yellow heirloom plum tree up on our lots at our daughters. There is literally about a ton of them. Just rotting mostly.

I brought some home. Helped my neighbor make 4 batches of sugar free plum jam with Pomona's.

Picked a few crabapples, too. Again, so many of them on the tree. Helped the neighbor juice them and made the loveliest red crabapple jelly !

It is hard since the fruit is up there, nearly an hours drive from here. Otherwise I could give more away.

Yesterday I did 20 half-pints of Summer Squash Pickles (triple batch) using zucchini.

I accidentally put in more turmeric than needed, so they are definitely YELLOW!! Another version of "summer sunshine in a jar" to coin a phrase the C4C has used. Very cheerful, sitting on the counter.

Yesterday afternoon I harvested about 25-30 pounds of carrots from the garden, cut off the tops and rinsed the dirt off outside with the hose. After my coffee kicks in :mornincoffee: I'll begin the peeling and dicing. I plan to raw pack into pint jars.

Jingles, do consider dehydrating apple slices. You can work in small batches, and they are a wonderful, yummy snack!

Do you have an apple peeler/slicer? I love mine! Not very expensive and worth every penny. I got mine from Pampered Chef a couple years ago, but there are other places that have them, too.

http://www.pamperedchef.com/our_products/c...categoryCode=CE

Yesterday I made 14 jars of zucchini relish,its so good its the only kind I make any more,also canned 28 jars of bread & butter pickles,I use the juice from these in potato salad & also use the sliced pickles on sandwiches.My brother gave me all those cucumbers so I had to do something with them,of course he will be getting some of the pickles and the relish.

The crabapples on my tree are very very tiny=it was beautiful when it bloomed but the apples are about a half inch-are these kind edible or not?

Did a search and found this http://www.garden-services.com/crabapples.htm

CRABAPPLE - EDIBLE

All crabapples are edible, no matter what the size. However, the smaller fruit have the same size seeds as larger fruit, thus they have less pulp surrounding the seeds.

Hope this helps.

Our crabapples are tiny like that, too. Juiced they make the prettiest, lovely tasting juice for jelly. Adding some cinnamon or red hot cinnamon candies would make it taste good, too.

My neighbor also saved the extra juice, mixed with some Sprite and it was so good !!!

I wanted to bring some home and make spiced crabapples for my grandson and my daughter.

Jingles, making juice from the apples would be good, too. You can make apple cinnamon syrup out of it, make apple jelly, or just have nice juice to drink with. I have a recipe or two that I use apple juice with. It is all like money in the bank if you can utilize the apples in some way. Think of it like $$$.

Check your thrift stores/Goodwill for the apple peelers. I have found several of them for about $4 each.

Next I am going to trade mine in for one with the rubber vacuum base instead of the clamp type now that I have Corian. Just waiting to find one cheap.

Wish I had fresh carrots. I love them ! When we tried to grow them before the ants ate them up.

Have you ever made the carrot cake jam ? I would like to try it some time. I have so many things I want to try. Never can get around to all of them.

6 quarts of Vegetable Stock & 11 half-pints of Bruschetta. DH is removing corn from the cob currently. I'm hoping to run one more canner full tonight.

Violet, Carrot Cake Jam!!! It sounds WONDERFUL. It's my favorite cake (FIL's, too) but noone is willing to make it for my birthday. :bdaycake: They all want me to make turtle cheesecake. I'll be searching the site for the recipe when I finish posting. And hopefully, we'll have carrots in the next few weeks that are ant free.

Off the subject a little but looking to see what others are thinking. I have a nagging feeling in the pit of my stomach (actually, it's worse than that) that it's going to be a rough/bad winter. Does anyone else? We have canned 6 cases of green beans and know I'm wondering if I should do another bushel before Italian green beans come in.

Jori,

I do have a feeling things are going to be hard. One reason I am getting things repaired, getting a needed crown on my tooth, going to the doctors, etc. now. I have food and toiletries pretty well stocked.

Of course, I will take free apples and things for storage. I will make something from them.

Ok I will go look for the recipe for you. Be right back. I have never tasted this, but sounds fantastic ! I love carrots and carrot cake, too.

CARROT CAKE JAM

Ingredients

1 1/2 cups finely grated peeled carrots

1 1/2 cups chopped cored peeled pears

1 3/4 cups canned pineapple, including juice

3 tablespoons lemon juice

1 teaspoon ground cinnamon

1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg

1/2 teaspoon ground cloves

1 package regular powdered fruit pectin (1.75 oz.)

6 1/2 cups granulated sugar

Preparation

1Prepare canner, jars and lids.

2In a large, deep stainless steel saucepan, combine carrots, pears, pineapple with juice, lemon juice, cinnamon, nutmeg and cloves. Bring to a boil over high heat, stirring frequently. Reduce heat, cover and boil gently for 20 minutes, stirring occasionally. Remove from heat and whisk in pectin until dissolved. Bring to a boil over high heat, stirring frequently. Add sugar all at once and return to a full rolling boil, stirring constantly. Boild hard, stirring constantly for 1 minute. Remove from heat and skim off foam.

3Ladle hot jam into hot jars, leaving 1/3 inch headspace. Remove air bubbles and adjust headspace, if necessary, by adding hot jam. Wipe rim. Center lid on jar. Screw band down until resistance is met, then increase to fingertip-tight.

4Place jars in canner,ensuring they are completely covered with water. Bring to a boil and process for 10 minutes. Remove canner lid. Wait 5 minutes, then remove jars, cool and store.

UGH!!! I have the paperback Ball Book. Looks like I'll be heading to Costco tomorrow to see if ours has it.

I used the recipe Violet just posted but there's a similar recipe in the Ball Book on page 37. Carrot-Pineapple-Orange Marmalade.

36 pints of sliced carrots! I was using the Golden Harvest jars so my canner would only take nine at a time, but it worked out to an even four canner loads. (My canner will hold 10 pint Ball jars).

I am so grateful for the abundance, these carrots all grew from seeds planted in a 4x8 raised bed. The Danvers 126 Half Long, from Bakers:

http://rareseeds.com/seeds/Carrots/Danvers-126-Half-Long

Oink, I wonder if one of your peach quarts broke because they were moving too freely in the boiling water bath. When I am processing less that a full canner load of food, whether BWB or pressure canning, I use water-filled jars to take up the "empty" space, to ensure none of them tip over. I don't put lids on the water jars, but I do put rings on to protect the jar rims. The rings on the water jars are probably not necessary, but I feel better doing it. Also, a good rolling boil throughout the processing time is perfect for a boiling water bath. It does not have to boil so furiously that the jars are bouncing all over.

Archived