MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

What are you canning today? Part 8

I actually have 3 1/2 cases of the strawberry jam I made last year. It looked delicious back then, now, not so much. Apparently, sugar just isn't for flavor, but also functions as a preservative - especially in "preserving" the color of the fruit in the jam. I believe I used Swerve when I jarred these up. Not at all appetizing, and I don't eat a lot of it anyway, so I am pretty sure they are going to get dumped.

THEN:   strawberryjam2022.jpg.ddda9836cea98e0f434f92b0de903de2.jpg

NOW:   strawberryjam2022-in2023.thumb.jpg.169a3d8805193ec8e2e7fdbe4f532d94.jpg

• Sad 4
5 hours ago, Midnightmom said:

How???

Remember, these were made with a sugar substitute. 

I’m not sure, but... I’m an experimenter. :wink(2):

I’d use a hydrometer. Dump the jam in a bucket, add water, add sugar to get my settings where I want them, add yeast... go from there. 
I did this once with a bunch of old jellies/jams. I don’t like *sweets*, DH will only eat Welch’s grape, the kids had all moved out and didn’t want them. Made an awesome *Sangria*. 🍷 There was every type of fruit imaginable in that stuff!! lol 

• Like 2

Yikes Midnightmom. I've heard of ugly chicken but ugly strawberry jam... :(

I plan to can some strawberry pie filling this summer and I did think about it fading. But I didn't think about it changing color like that. I wonder if that is another reason most people put a dash of red food coloring in their strawberry and cherry pie filling? I hadn't planned on adding the coloring to mine. But yeah, that's pretty unappetizing. 

• Like 3

Jeepers, I am glad you are feeling better. Definitely sounds like you need an adjustment in your meds. 

Yep, that is for sure ugly strawberry jam. I don't eat enough of it to warrant making jam any longer. So, I just buy a few jars, and use it up till I am down to one and then replenish it. I do have a few more jars than I would normally store because of GS using it. 

Wine sounds like a good idea. Wonder how that would work with the jelly. 

Not sure what else I will be canning next. Need to pull out the coolers in order to dig down to the bottom of the deep freeze. 

• Like 2
11 hours ago, Littlesister said:

Yep, that is for sure ugly strawberry jam. I don't eat enough of it to warrant making jam any longer. So, I just buy a few jars, and use it up till I am down to one and then replenish it. I do have a few more jars than I would normally store because of GS using it. 

You can use this recipe to make one jar at a time: no pectin and no water bath canning needed. And, it is delicious!!! It is my new "go to" recipe.

Water, strawberries, allulose, lemon juice, xantham gum

• Like 1