MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

What are you canning today? Part 8

Jeepers since you said your neighbors don't have a fence, do you have an HOA. If so, you will have to go through them for the fence. 

Also, you know where your septic tank is. Where do your septic lines run. That can make the difference where you put a small shed. I had septic here till the city made us go on city septic and water. You cannot plant anything deep rooted over the septic lines. Those lines from the septic tank through underground yard. Are they in front yard side of yard or back yard. You can't do anything over top that is heavy or can in anyway cause them to collapse. Lots to think about. 

FOUND YA!! :24:

Read through the last few posts since mine and now understand what happened. All fine by me since I started the new one. I’ll edit the title on mine to say “Part 9”. 
No wonder I couldn’t find it! URBAN?!? :faint3:I never come here... I get lost in cities!! :laughkick:

*Necie wanders up one street and down the next mumbling “how in the world do I get out of this place? I’m soooo looooost... and a little bit skeeered”* 

Edited by Necie
  • Haha 4

Necie Take a left at Urban Side Streets and then a right at Urban Farming and you should see the door to the country!  :woohoo:

• Haha 4
  • 3 weeks later...

Just processed 3.5 pints of pepper jelly in 1/2 pint and 1/4 pint containers.  2 left to pop.  I was going to add green food coloring, but decided to leave it a natural golden color with bits of green and red peppers floating in it.   It is made of serrano and bell pepper and is very spicy.  I'm happy with how it turned out so far.  DD 15 helped and we talked about jelly, jam, preserves, conserves, marmalade, as well as distilling water and making cordial.  All over all, it was a very productive session.  I love passing along knowledge to a receptive audience.

I used a new recipe, so we will see how it goes 6 months from now.

Pepper Jelly  (I am KNOWN to tamper with recipes--it is my 'thing'.)

2c minced peppers (I used several green serrano peppers, 1 green bell pepper, and 5 mini red bell peppers to make 2 c mince)

1 1/2 c ACV

6c sugar

4T pectin (I used 5 b/c it seemed to need it 3 were from my older bottle and 2 from the new bag)

green food coloring (skipped)

Boil vinegar.  Add sugar, pectin.  Dissolve.  Add peppers.  simmer 12+m  (simmered 25m).  Process 5m. (I did 8 because reasons)  makes 6 1/2 pint or 12 1/4 pint.   ( I got 3. 5 pints out of it exactly to the headspace--five 1/2 pints and four 1/4 pints.)  

Edited by euphrasyne
  • Like 4

Wish I could do spicy but my mouth is too sensitive. 

I want to make a simple vanilla pear jam. Suttons Daze did one but she used Pomona and It would be a waste for me to use that. I rarely make jelly and jams so having all of that calcium (or what ever it is) mixed up wouldn't get used.  She said you couldn't substitute the pectin. All of my canning books are either packed up or in Indiana. 

Forgot to mention that she used canned pears.

Edited by Jeepers
Added Info
  • Like 3

Jam is easy.  Sugar, fruit/veg pectin and spices.  It is truly simple and quick.  Pectin is necessary unless you intend to freeze it or use things like apple peels (which contain pectin)  Pectin is what makes it jell.  sugar makes fudge or taffy.  cornstarch makes lemon pie or gravy.  pectin makes jelly.  It is a texture thing as I discussed with DD 15 yesterday.  

pectin is not especially expensive compared to buying jelly.  You do not need to use it if making apple, lemon, plumb, cranberry, grape anything.  

Common usages of pepper jelly are over a brick of cream cheese as an appetizer or on meat as a condiment while cooking.  

Edited by euphrasyne
  • Like 3

I ran across a comment today that an Instant Pot Max (and only the Max) was tested by Rose Red and found safe for canning.  Instant Pots of various kinds are available here.  I have not specifically looked for the Max.  There's a service called Tiendamia that allows Amazon deliveries of a limited nature (as in, they track your lifetime dollar amounts and cut you off when they decide you've had enough) (as in, they allow in less than one percent of Amazon's variety).  Tiendamia right now is allowing orders of the Max.  I find this tempting, but I would like to see if I could buy it in cash locally (meaning in the city) first.

Edit:  Has anyone seen canning guidelines or instructions geared to the Instant Pot Max?

Edited by Ambergris
  • Like 1

Okay, after watching a minute or two of this, I remembered binge-watching it with a bunch of her other videos.  So it's not new information.  It's information that got crowded out of my head when I needed it.  :shrug:

• Like 4

I'm not sold on the Instant Pot canning yet. It's still sort of new. I have a smaller canner that only holds 7 quarts that I can use for smaller batches. I don't think I can stack pints in it. I don't really remember. I don't use it that often. Mostly a backup to the bigger canner when I'm doing big batch canning. Also, I can get one less wide mouth canning jar in my canner as opposed to a regular mouth canning jar. If I remember correctly. 

I think the Instant Pot Max is different from a regular Instant Pot in that it has a separate canning feature and you set so it automatically adjusts and cans. And you can adjust the pounds of pressure. If I'm not mistaken, it's a set and forget item. You digitally enter the data and it does the canning automatically. That's the 'Max' part of the Instant Pot. If I'm wrong...please correct!

I am thinking about a steam canner though. A lot faster and uses a lot less energy than a water bath canner. And lighter weight than a pot full of water. But I'd only use it for pickles and jellies so I'm not sure if it would be worth it for me to buy one. 

• Like 3

Nesco and Carey have electric pressure canners. IIRC, they hold 4 qts. I see a lot of people using them that are *afraid* of regular pressure canners. They are also the “set and forget” types. 

• Like 4

Finally got my turkey soup from Thanksgiving all jarred up! Wound up with 7 quarts. I bought two cases of Ball "Smooth" Jars for a very good price at a Grocery Outlet - only $12.99 each. However, I am pretty sure I am going to return the second case because the "smooth" jars don't have the Ball name in relief, and there aren't any measurement markings on them either. Being smooth made them very difficult to handle once out of the canner because there was some overflow of the broth into the canner and it made the jars very very slick and difficult to get a good grip on bare-handed. :( Not something I would have thought of before making the purchase! :imoksmiley:

turkeysoup2023.thumb.jpg.45bf545410d7dc4e5db86317fdf7d6d8.jpg

Edited by Midnightmom
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Jar prices just blow my mind!! I remember when I was a young mom (1980s-90s), I wouldn’t pay more than $1/doz at yard sales... and could find them all the time!! Now, even at yard sales (and on marketplace), they want $1 EACH!! That’s nearly full store price, and WITHOUT new lids/rings. Now, if I can find half gallons at that price, then YEAH!! They’re $19.99 a half dozen at the stores... over $3 each. I have bought 2 cases at that price. One at Walmart, one at a local hardware. I found them a couple weeks ago at an Amish store for $16.49 and bought 2 cases (dozen total).
I don’t usually ever buy jars... twice this summer I posted on local groups (FB) looking for jars... would trade for my goat milk soap. Both times most responses were to just come and get them. I still gave them equal amounts of soap and ended up with a van full each time. And sometimes they’d throw in canning equipment. 😊

I will buy at yard sales for the right jars at the right price. DS1 and I stopped at an estate sale yesterday and I got one box of quarts (some large mouth—all older) for $5, and a garden basket of large mouth pints for $5. Came out to about 0.25c a jar and a free garden basket. 😁

I have plenty of jars, but the problem is that a lot of them are full... of goat milk... for soaping. Almost 600 qts worth (some also in 1/2 gallons and in pints). I got a heck of a deal this last winter on Meyenberg (~0.12c/qt) and spent 9 days from 9am to 2-3am canning it all. :faint3:

• Like 2

That turkey soup looks really good Midnightmom. I am going to go ahead and get another turkey if I can find them on sale to make turkey soup. The last 4 I canned was for meat only. Lots of things I can do with that. 

Necie, I too would like to know how many jars of deer meat you got when all is said and done. You are so lucky to have hunters in the family.

My canning will begin again right after the first of the year. Can't wait to get back to it. 

• Like 1
8 hours ago, Littlesister said:

I am going to go ahead and get another turkey if I can find them on sale to make turkey soup.

Do you have a Safeway nearby? Ours has them on sale for Christmas cheaper than they were for Thanksgiving! Only 49c/lb

Perhaps they have way to many left that people couldn't afford to buy then and now they have to get rid of them???

• Like 2

Midnightmom we don't have a Saveway. Wish we did though. I have a few stores I am keeping an eye on. They put the whole turkeys on sale, but I am wanting a turkey breast. Harder to find those on sale. If I can't find one, then I will just go with the whole turkey.

That is great euphrasyne. Nothing like real local honey. I used to get it at the Bennett's creek market and now will have to find a new source. I think Fenley's in Carrollton has it locally. Need to check it out but right now I have plenty. 

• Like 1

We buy local honey by the gallons. It is harvested within a few miles of us.  It has been our primary sweetener for sixty plus years along with a small amount of local maple syrup (and the occasional coconut sugar which is DEFINITELY not local. ) 

Honey is expensive but goes so much further than sugar.  We probably don’t use five pounds of sugar a year and use about 60# of honey a year. 

• Like 3