3 Chinese Restaurants,

1 Thrift shop,

2 Walgreens,

1 Miniature Shop( Lilliput Dollhouse),

1 Used craft Store (bits & pieces),

1 gas Station,

1 Post Office,

1 Garage Sale

Got up early and headed out of town, but first had to get gas for the ‘trip’ today. Headed to the Post Office to drop off some mail and then we were on our way.

Stopped at Walgreens, in next town, to get the Honey everyone here was talking about. They were out so we got a rain check so we could get the honey AFTER the sale was over for the low, low price! Tried to use rain check for black marker pens but STILL not in stock (good thing there is no exploration date on them –ha, ha). Left that town and headed west a few towns over to Rummage Sales. There were two at churches across the street from each other! Wow did we do good at both: some stuff for us, a few Christmas things like pretty Christmas Dishes we use to give Cookies out to Friends at Christmas Time (they get to keep the plates). We also got a few things for our Flea Market Booth but need to go back on Saturday for the ‘bag sale’ they both will be having (fill a paper grocery bag for $2.00 – and man can I pack a bag!). Left with a few bags of goodies and headed west again driving for about 20 minutes (Lori had no idea where we were going now?) to Fairport for some ‘extra’ shopping and Dinner! But when I got to the Chinese Restaurant I looked up on the web, they only did takeout with no place to sit – and it was cold outside so no eating by the water (canal) like we do in the summer. Left that place and as we were getting back on the road . . . .

There was a Walgreens!

Guess what we did?

Stopped in and they had the honey! So we got 3 (the limit) AND they had the pens in stock and we got them for 39 cents not the 99 cents! BINGO!

Then headed north (Lori thinks we are going to find food but the van (Morgan) pulls into the parking lot for Used craft Store called bits & pieces! Man do they have STUFF and cheap. It’s a Church run Thrift Shop but all they have is craft stuff: like fabric, beads, used rubber stamps, Christmas things, fake flowers and stuff, wooden things and, and, and……..

Left there after filling a plastic shopping basket (checkout was $13.50- about 20 items), went to find the other Chinese Restaurant but when we got there they had gone out of Business? So we had to go to another one that we knew was a small takeout but at least we could eat inside. Then we went to the Miniature Shop just to say hello to “Mom” who runs the place when her son is working at his ‘real’ job. And of cause Lori ‘had’ to buy something ha, ha but we are saving our money for the big Dollhouse show coming up in November. After about an hour left to head home, BUT on the way pasted a V.O.A. so had to stop in just to ‘look’, came out with a bag full of goodies. The homeward bound we were- until we pasted a sign for a Garage Sale! Not much stuff we could use and high prices so Lori only got one thing.

Then Home to unpack and open bags as we both couldn’t remember half the things we go at the Rummage Sales! LOL

Pull things away, worked on some, played with a few with the cats, then had Supper and went to bed to read for a bit to relax. See it WASN’T a Busy day for a Thursday! LOL

So how was your day?

:AmishMichaelstraw:

Mine was not nearly as busy as yours was! I did a few household chores, paid bills and worked on an a couple of articles. When I first read that you went to 3 different Chinese restaurants, I thought, " They must be stocking up on take out for the winter!" Today promises to be just as uninteresting...firewood on porch, a chicken in the oven and more writing.... I almost forgot! The perpetual load of laundry will continue...

Mine was not nearly as busy as yours was! I did a few household chores, paid bills and worked on an a couple of articles. When I first read that you went to 3 different Chinese restaurants, I thought, " They must be stocking up on take out for the winter!" Today promises to be just as uninteresting...firewood on porch, a chicken in the oven and more writing.... I almost forgot! The perpetual load of laundry will continue...

tmc your day sounds a lot like mine, including the perpetual laundry. I found another box of blankets and linens out in the shed so that will come in today. I'm also getting the last of my big kid's stuff ready to go up with a friend. She gave me 2 days' notice that she was leaving early so we were only able to send her on the bus and have been shipping a few things here and there. So we have a friend going up near where she is so we're going to load her up and she'll have all her stuff finally.

I'm also going to attempt to take a nap at some point. I'm still feeling pretty tired.

So it was a slow Thursday for us this week,

called for rain but it turned out nice, but we only went to:

2 Rummage Sales,

3 Chinese Restaurants,

1 Thrift shop,

2 Walgreens,

1 Miniature Shop( Lilliput Dollhouse),

1 Used craft Store (bits & pieces),

1 gas Station,

1 Post Office,

1 Garage Sale

Got up early and headed out of town, but first had to get gas for the ‘trip’ today. Headed to the Post Office to drop off some mail and then we were on our way.

Stopped at Walgreens, in next town, to get the Honey everyone here was talking about. They were out so we got a rain check so we could get the honey AFTER the sale was over for the low, low price! Tried to use rain check for black marker pens but STILL not in stock (good thing there is no exploration date on them –ha, ha). Left that town and headed west a few towns over to Rummage Sales. There were two at churches across the street from each other! Wow did we do good at both: some stuff for us, a few Christmas things like pretty Christmas Dishes we use to give Cookies out to Friends at Christmas Time (they get to keep the plates). We also got a few things for our Flea Market Booth but need to go back on Saturday for the ‘bag sale’ they both will be having (fill a paper grocery bag for $2.00 – and man can I pack a bag!). Left with a few bags of goodies and headed west again driving for about 20 minutes (Lori had no idea where we were going now?) to Fairport for some ‘extra’ shopping and Dinner! But when I got to the Chinese Restaurant I looked up on the web, they only did takeout with no place to sit – and it was cold outside so no eating by the water (canal) like we do in the summer. Left that place and as we were getting back on the road . . . .

There was a Walgreens!

Guess what we did?

Stopped in and they had the honey! So we got 3 (the limit) AND they had the pens in stock and we got them for 39 cents not the 99 cents! BINGO!

Then headed north (Lori thinks we are going to find food but the van (Morgan) pulls into the parking lot for Used craft Store called bits & pieces! Man do they have STUFF and cheap. It’s a Church run Thrift Shop but all they have is craft stuff: like fabric, beads, used rubber stamps, Christmas things, fake flowers and stuff, wooden things and, and, and……..

Left there after filling a plastic shopping basket (checkout was $13.50- about 20 items), went to find the other Chinese Restaurant but when we got there they had gone out of Business? So we had to go to another one that we knew was a small takeout but at least we could eat inside. Then we went to the Miniature Shop just to say hello to “Mom” who runs the place when her son is working at his ‘real’ job. And of cause Lori ‘had’ to buy something ha, ha but we are saving our money for the big Dollhouse show coming up in November. After about an hour left to head home, BUT on the way pasted a V.O.A. so had to stop in just to ‘look’, came out with a bag full of goodies. The homeward bound we were- until we pasted a sign for a Garage Sale! Not much stuff we could use and high prices so Lori only got one thing.

Then Home to unpack and open bags as we both couldn’t remember half the things we go at the Rummage Sales! LOL

Pull things away, worked on some, played with a few with the cats, then had Supper and went to bed to read for a bit to relax. See it WASN’T a Busy day for a Thursday! LOL

So how was your day?

I have to admit I'm full on jealous of your rummage sales.

We also got a few things for our Flea Market Booth but need to go back on Saturday for the 'bag sale' they both will be having (fill a paper grocery bag for $2.00 – and man can I pack a bag!).

I have a question about your flea market booth. Are you able to sell very much? The reason I ask is, DH and I love going to garage sales and estate auctions. In town there is a building where you can rent a booth, but it is unmanned (which I like cause we both have full-time jobs). Basically you price everything like a yard sale and the customer pays the cashier. I was kinda curious if we would be able to make anything after the monthly fee (i think $30-40). i don't know much more about it though. I was just curious about your experiences :)

I had a Michael & Lori day Monday. I enjoy them especially when I get home and start to unpack everything. In the rush I'd forgotten most of what I bought. Seems like Christmas times 2 all in one day.

The rest of the week was slow. I guess I should say I was slow.

Today I'm going to dig out winter blankets to be rewash and get them on the bed. It is starting to get cold at night here. I also want to get my winter jackets rewashed and hung in the closet. I'll probably get them all 'done up' Monday because I plan to take then to the laundry mat to dry them. Their machines are bigger and it cost less to dry them there.

Next door to the laundry mat is the hair cutting place. I grow my hair out and then get it cut to about shoulder length every couple of years. Then I donate it to Locks Of Love. It makes my head feel better and my heart too.

http://www.locksoflove.org/ :wub:

I thought you ate Chinese for breakfast, lunch, and dinner ! You had me puzzled on that one at first. I love Chinese food, too ! You ate supper at home, after all that Chinese food ?? !

Oh, if you want to make the thin bbq pork with the red dipping sauce and hot mustard, let me know. I have a great recipe.

Good idea to get the dishes for Christmas goodies.

Sounds as though you had a good day finding bargains. That, and you got your HONEY !

I thought you ate Chinese for breakfast, lunch, and dinner ! You had me puzzled on that one at first. I love Chinese food, too ! You ate supper at home, after all that Chinese food ?? !

Oh, if you want to make the thin bbq pork with the red dipping sauce and hot mustard, let me know. I have a great recipe.

Good idea to get the dishes for Christmas goodies.

Sounds as though you had a good day finding bargains. That, and you got your HONEY !

First off - - LORI could eat it for all the meals of the day! AND HAS!

(and we do it that way sometimes in the winter when the snow is flying. Take $20 - $25 dollars and order this and that from the menu on Saturday then on Sunday we stay in PJ's all day long and eat eggs with Chinese for breakfest, do puzzles,read, etc., then have Chinese for Dinner (buffet stile), maybe nap, then more reading, make some rubbe rstamped cards, play card games, etc. Eat Chinese for Supper, go for a walk in the snow, sit by fireplace and read,snack on chinese, play card games or board games by lantern light, crank up the old victrola and sing along.........................

I guess I know what we will be doing this SUNDAY! LOL

seeing we have already had 3 (fake) snow days in the last 2 months.

*** A full chinese Dinner - in a tent - in the middle of your living room- by lamp light! man it is like Heaven for us. LOL

I have a question about your flea market booth. Are you able to sell very much? The reason I ask is, DH and I love going to garage sales and estate auctions. In town there is a building where you can rent a booth, but it is unmanned (which I like cause we both have full-time jobs). Basically you price everything like a yard sale and the customer pays the cashier. I was kinda curious if we would be able to make anything after the monthly fee (i think $30-40). i don't know much more about it though. I was just curious about your experiences :)

Short reply here will send you the long reply by PM?

Yes we have been doing it long enough you know what people are looking for - so we don't have a lot of 'junk' sitting on the tables.

We are mainly doing the ones that are a one-time deal all over the area not so much a week after week in the same place. Do some that are once a month for the summer and that we have repeat customer for. "Hey if you guys see _____ we will buy it from you"

Grab bags at sales are the way to go or Auctions IF you can get stuff cheap, box lots are fun to do IF there is something in there you know will sell.

Most of the time we like the ones that are $10- a day (or $20 for the weekend) to set up and sell (we have our own tables and pop-up tent.

AND it lots of fun dealing with the people (for the most part)

That sounds like a really nice shopping day! My Thursday was much quieter. spent time here online, worked on a simple draft sock knitting project, studied sockgroup on yahoo, thread was mostly on less expensive yarns for socks and discovered some even use cotton sugar and cream for bed socks/slippers and I had discovered my stash has more sugar and cream than I realized I had been getting , most of it designated for dishclothes and short toweling anyway only one set of colors for a top I want to do.

I opened up the book on basic socks and looked at the directions again for one I might typically try first..... and thought..... maybe I can DO it... I get so nervous trying new things with nobody here to show me how the first time.... but I felt that changing.

I have been getting used to the shorter needles that are circulars this last couple of weeks , now realizing they are very helpful to shorties like me and the many difficulties with my hands especially this year , they work alot easier than straight needles... so I am practicing proper gauge and such as I do the simple draft sock which really is flat work and the long edges get sewn together and you stuff it with scraps ( in this case and old gold sweatshirt cut up into manageable strips once its formed and I can do that. )

Its also a discipline session to just knit one kind of stitch until I have it absolutely down and its easy to check to see if I dropped a stitch, so its all about building simple skills that will go into more elaborate and complex items since I got so behind from illness this year. Also mental focus practice... so I spend time doing that periodically and glad to see the progress and how comfortable its feeling to me now.

I made tortillas and a nice burrito as part of my dinner last night and it felt good that I felt good enough to stand in the kitchen again and do that and do kitchen chores with some consistency again.

That may not sound exciting but when you can't and you need to, especially when nutriton is vital to your health, it means alot to me to start getting better again.

It also gets me focusing on goodnatured stuff because I was getting exposed to stuff I know doesn't suit me at all and I left that influence online and since I am feeling better and some stronger, I wanted to get into more routines so thats what I am working on, because there just isn't anyone else who came by to help and this place needs work. ( the help situation may be changing but that will help me catch up and organize better. )

Someone may say just go on heavier pain meds. Heck I don't even like taking Tylenol and keep that to an absolute minimum. I have to eat chili powder regularly , it helps the most on inflammation and I tell folks and medical folks who think its ok to be zoned out I guess, thats what I prefer. And gee eating enough of the right stuff helps control the blood sugar that we finally defined as alot of the problem and it had been getting worse over time and affecting aspects others were trying to say were the cause, instead of finding the real cause. Its been bewildering , painful and frightening to me and certain ones who were set up and such to help and have an interest in me did nothing, they just breezed on by. I finally spoke up and now everyone is jumping in, still.... I still have to do stuff for myself and the darn local stores don't carry a decent sock.... so its time to learn how to knit those. Tiny town here. My feet are important and require the best sock I can obtain so I figured after I learned how, I can just make them myself, custom fit :o)

Its also a skill to produce them for others who may be in need or would enjoy a nice durable sock. you cant just wear flip flops around here all year. Most dont even in summer anyway. Rough country.

I learned one more thing, be careful to compare sites and prices if ordering sock yarn online too or any yarns for projects, vast difference on same stuff on many sites so you really have to hunt around if you need bargain prices.

:americanflag:

It satisfied me in very simple ways so it was a good Thursday.

Oh, can I come eat Chinese food all day, too ??!! I would love that. I am planning on making egg fu yung tomorrow. Have a pretty good recipe for that, too.

I also like to do craft things. I have a bunch of rubber stamps. I have an embossing gun. Have lots of fabrics. I quilt, sew, do all sorts of things. Your day sounds wonderful to me !

Sorry, it would not taste too good to can the pork. Better to eat freshly made. I wait and get the pork sirloin on sale and use that. I don't buy the expensive little loins. I cut the sirloin into pieces to cook in the oven. This really does turn out fabulous for me ! Let it rest about 10 min. after it comes out of the oven, then slice it thin.

It did not call for the honey, but I have found it improves it. Guess you got your honey on sale, so you are good to go ! I toast some sesame seeds in a small skillet, too. Just be careful as they burn easily.

OOOH, I think you will enjoy this !

CHINESEBBQ PORK

2 T. honey

1/3 cup sugar

3 tbsp soy sauce

2 tsp. dry sherry

1 clove garlic

4 drops red food coloring

3 pork tenderloins (2 lbs total)

TO SERVE:

prepared Chinese hot mustard

toasted sesame seeds*

TO MARINATE THE PORK:

In a 7x12-inch baking dish, stir together sugar, soy sauce, sherry, garlic andred food coloring. Lay pork in dish and rotate pieces to coat with marinade.Cover meat and chill at least 1 or up to 2 days; turn pork in marinade severaltimes.

WHEN READY TO COOK:

Meanwhile, lift pork from marinade; set aside on a rack over a baking pan oruse a broiler pan. Pour the marinade into a small saucepan, bring to a boil andsimmer 2-3 minutes. Reserve for basting.

Bake in 375 degree oven for 30 to 60 min. depending upon thickness of meat.Cook until juices run clear.

Cut pork into thin slices. Serve with sesame seeds to sprinkle over meat. OfferChinese hot mustard alongside and red dipping sauce. The red dipping sauce freezes well, too.

*TO MAKE TOASTED SESAME SEEDS:

Pour 2 to 3 tb sesame seeds into a 7 to 8-inch frying pan. Shake often overmedium heat, until seeds are golden, 5 to 8 minutes. Use warm or cool; storeairtight at room temperature up to 2 weeks. I freeze mine for longer storage.

RED DIPPING SAUCE: Use half ketchup, half water, and add dry mustard powder totaste. <br style="mso-special-character: line-break;"><br style="mso-special-character: line-break;">

Hmmm, how much you want to pay ??? LOL ??? !!

I basically do it like this :http://www.chinatownconnection.com/egg-fu-yung-recipe.htm , however, I cook my veggies first before I add them to the eggs. I also use some dicec cooked carrots in mine. Sometimes a few frozen peas, too. The mushrooms give it a nice texture.

I usually mix both chicken and beef broth for the sauce.

Thanks for the fast reply Violet. I will pay you one :hug3: and:bouquet: !!! You are loved and appreciated!!!

Wow! You all have been busy!

MIL has worn me out.

Yesterday was spent at the Greater El Paso Chamber of Commerce Woman’s Department “Harvest of Fashion” Luncheon & Fashion Show. Participants included the Comite de Damas Pro Comercio from Juarez Mexico, the Women from UTEP (forgot what department) and the Women of Ft. Bliss Retired Officers.

Today, we went to the La Buena Vida Alpacas Ranch, Stahlman’s Farms and had a lovely dinner at La Posta.

I brought my camera today to catch the beauty of the Stahlman Farms oasis in the desert.

PecanForest.jpg

The Tucan in the restaurant,

tucan.jpg

One day old alpaca,

babyalpaca.jpg

The farm’s spinning room where they hold classes.

SpinningRoom.jpg

MIL bought that shawl…. I know what I’m getting for Christmas… :happy0203: She said she is going to wrap it and would not let me touch it. :pout:

Sounds like you are having a great time! That shawl is absolutely beautiful. I love that color. I clicked on the links and they were very interesting. I had no idea the Alpaca's necks were so long under all of that fuzz. They sure are cute. :wub:

Annarchy, seems you had a lovely day as well. At the pic of the weaving room, they show wooden triangles.

Are the with nails are the side so you can weave like darning a sock or any other method? Up and under?

I'm intrigued at their method.

MIL bought that blue shawl? You lucky thing.

Only two more months till Christmas :grinning-smiley-044:

Nice score on the material Violet. (Wishing I had time to quilt again.)

Annarchy, seems you had a lovely day as well. At the pic of the weaving room, they show wooden triangles.

Are the with nails are the side so you can weave like darning a sock or any other method? Up and under?

I'm intrigued at their method.

Yes, the triangles had countless nails on the inside of the frames.

We tried to go there last month. I got lost, we couldn't find the road the farm was on, we even stopped a highway patrol officer and he had no idea where the farm was, let alone where the road was! He suggested we drive to another town "..up the road, past a school, you will see balloons, and they are having a event there.." so we drove and drove and 4 hours later, I was lost again. I turned on a road and it turned out to be the right one, but they were already closed. Sooooo,

This time we had better directions, thinking we had found a different farm the first time. Headed out and got lost. :misc-smiley-231: But, we stopped and asked directions, went 10 miles out of our way and found it. The same place and it was closed. I called them and they let us in and even gave us a private tour. I really would have liked to watch one of the classes. They had everything set up for the weekend, the wool, spinning wheels, and tables. I was amazed their spinning wheels were so small.

= = Well we did it AGAIN!

Saturday we hit it big time!

Went back to the 2 Rummage Sales at the Church's for the "bag sales". 1 had a bag sale for $2.00 a bag and they gave you the big 'Macy's type' of paper bag with the handles (wow!) - Filled 3 with tons of good stuff had trouble carrying them out the door! - Some for us , some for others, most for Flea Market! - No clothes just glassware, knick-knacks, canister sets, candle holders (tea-lite kind), kitchen stuff. All things we know set well here.

Second one had Bag Sale using ''grocery plastic bags" but only $1.00 a bag - again we filled them with stuff! Some brand new that we will make money on at our sale.

Did get a bunch of glass Christmas Dishes that we use to put cookies and fudge and some Christmas candy on as gifts for friends and maybe a bake sale? All dishes were in the 'grab bags' for maybe 10 cent each?

Then went to book sale (bag sale on Saturday) at Library on way home - got 53 books into 2 ''grocery plastic bags" ($1.00 a bag). Again some for Lori loaning Library, some for friends, Brand new one for sale and Christmas Gifts!

THEN we hit 3 yard sales! Lots of goodies at low prices (1 was 1/2 price day) get more things for us, others and of cause the Flea Market booth!

Stopped at a flea market /used stuff type of store to check things out - well and to buy. LOL

Hit a few more places and got home 5 hours later

Took us many trips back and forth from van to house :sHa_sarcasticlol:

BUT man did we have fun!

arby how are you doing with knitting the socks? That is something I haven't tried although I do knit.Around here sock yarn is 4.99 a skein and you need 2 so it would be 10.00 for a pair of socks,isn't that too expensive?

Indy, I'm forever knitting socks. A 50gram ball of yarn (how much is that in ounce) will knit two socks for small feet. 100gram is enough for men's size socks. And 4.99 sounds very expensive.

You'll need more yarn if the socks have a longer ankle part.

Just as an example:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BREIGAREN-SOKKENWOL-NORSOK-KLEUR-6853-/300349962136

Archived