MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Would This Be a Good Dehydrator?

Katz25

Looking at dehydrators on Amazon, and this looked like a good one with good reviews. Wondered if anyone here had this one or could recommend another one, no any more expensive though....cheaper would be great!! LOL!!

This I hope will take you to the page:

http://www.amazon.com/Nesco-American-FD-61WHC-Snackmaster-Dehydrator/dp/B0002WSQHU/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1320330845&sr=8-5

I've had a nesco for years, have bought more as replacements. I like them. The price is nice, too

we have the old stand-by '5 tray' kind and it works well for us - for drying.

Got our 'brand new' in plastic in box at Thrift shop for under $10.00.

For things like this I always look to thrift shops or second hand stores first, You can get some great deals that way. Ask if you can plug them in before you buy.

Some people say they would NEVER buy used - but I tell them after the first time you use you 'new' one it is USED! and you payed way to much for it!

also no shipping charge (that adds to the price) when you shop at these stores. - LOL

:AmishMichael2:

When I first started dehydrating I wanted to go the cheapest way I could because I didn't know if I'd really like dehydrating food. I didn't want to spend a lot of money for something I wouldn't continue to use. So, I went to Wal-Mart and picked up the least expensive one I could find.

I've been using it for 2 years now. And when I say using it I really mean it. Hours and hours of using it continually. It is so basic that the purist may not even consider buying it. There is no off/on switch. You plug it in and it goes or pull the plug and it stops. Also, no thermostat. Just a fan that blows hot air.

I let it run for a few hours then check the food. I do have to rotate the shelves occasionally though. Then run it for another few hours. I'm only interested in doing veggies right now so it is working out fine. I've probably got about 12 gallon of dried veggies so far and it is still running at this very moment. Carrots.

My plan was to just get my feet wet (so to speak) in the world of dehydrating and then as money allowed, I'd get a better one. But the darn thing just won't die.

Maybe I just got lucky? :shrug:

They said if your Wal-Mart dosen't carry it they will ship it to yours free.

http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=14642749&findingMethod=rr

Edited: to fix the link :banghead:

I have a Nesco one... My dad bought it for me for Christmas a couple of years ago. Mine didn't come with the jerky gun thingee, but that is probably becasue mine is supposed to be the professional version... :buttercup: I don't know of many professional chefs that bother to dehydrate their own stuff, but whatever!

Anyway, it works very well and does a great job of drying whatever I put into it. I had once considered buying one of the Excalibur ones, but I'm glad that I didn't. Though I do use mine quite a bit, I don't think that I would get my money's worth out of an Excalibur. I'm sort of a lazy dehydrator and tend to do things that we use a lot of like mushrooms, peppers, sliced cherry tomatoes and onions.

I'll put another vote in for resale shops. I got my 9 tray excalibur at a resale shop for 19.99. Still has the price tag on it (just noticed that when I was in garage wednesday. I've had the thing for 12 years and haven't taken that price tag off yet :P )

Please, just don't buy one without a fan and thermostat. Your food can grow bacteria before it dries. The Nesco is the best for the money, in my opinion.

We teach people to be sure to buy one with a fan, adjustable thermostat, and heat source. Then, opaque in color.

In class we will not allow students to use a Ronco or those types for their lab experiments due to the food not drying and possible bacteria growth.

I've a nesco that I love-- I dry fruit and herbs, mostly. The kitchen always smells so nice when it's running. I use it in conjuction with my foodsaver-- as soon as my dried whatever is cooled, it gets vacuum sealed unless I plan on using right away. (for instance, I actually prefer dried pears to fresh. Weird, I know, it's me. . .)

I've a nesco that I love-- I dry fruit and herbs, mostly. The kitchen always smells so nice when it's running. I use it in conjuction with my foodsaver-- as soon as my dried whatever is cooled, it gets vacuum sealed unless I plan on using right away. (for instance, I actually prefer dried pears to fresh. Weird, I know, it's me. . .)

I think dried fruits and veggies turn out sweeter. I ate a hand full of dried sweet corn last year and it was pretty good as a snack.

Archived