MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Lemon Juice Substitute

Hi Folks,

We don't use vinegar for health reasons so we buy lemon juice. We're trying to produce our own of everything we can possible make so we have to buy less. I've thought of canning red currant juice because they are so sour I can't stand to eat them. I don't know what it tastes like.

So my question is...have any of you every used another sour juice to replace lemon juice in recipes? I'm not talking about canning, just cooking. We make lemon juice pickles but I would be afraid to use a sub for that.

Thanks for any ideas!

lol...I really do know how to spell substitute! :)

Yup, I see that. :happy0203: I went ahead and changed the title for future searches.

But vinegar is the only thing *I* can think of for a lemon substitute, so I'm afraid I'm not gonna be much help with the question. :(

What about packets of Real Lemon? The website says 1 pack is equal to 1 tablespoon of juice. I've only ever used it as a water flavoring. http://www.truelemon.com/live-healthy/nutrition/172-20-ways-to-use-true-products.html?Itemid=169

I found this article on using a pack of unsweet lemonade mix and 8 oz water. http://www.tiphero.com/tips_2910_?utm_source=Money-Saving+Tips+Newsletter+DL&utm_campaign=1d81e22a5d-TH_NL_85a_07_15_2010&utm_medium=email

If you don't need the acid in the recipe and only the flavor, these might work:

Lemon Balm can be used to replace zest. http://www.au.gardenweb.com/forums/load/ozherb/msg010546221749.html

Lemon Verbena might work depending on what you are making. http://usethatherb.com/lemon-verbena-lends-citrus-flavoring-food-drink/

This Lemon Balm Soda looks good so I thought I'd share it too. http://herbgardens.about.com/od/herbrecipes/r/LemonBalmSoda.htm

Cat, thanks so much for correcting my spelling. That's looks better. :)

Windmom, lemon balm would be something I could grow. I'm not familiar with lemon verbena. I'll have to check that out. Yes it is the flavor I'm looking for. It wouldn't hurt to have some of the powder stuff on hand either. Thanks for the ideas and the links!

Would the Real Lemon powder be safe for canning? If so, it might be much better to store that than the bottles of lemon juice that do go "musky" after a while. Violet, are you around here??? *looking under the couch* :wink (2):

Kumquat is good down to twelve degrees for a young tree and ten for a mature one. It's also naturally small, and fruits well in a two-foot-square pot. Nagami is better for juice, while Meiwa is better for fresh eating.

Lots of folks grow lemon trees in their homes. I know of someone that does that here in NY. The tree goes out onto the patio when the weather gets nice and produces lemons every year. I have a miniature orange tree that produces fruit each year but killed the miniature lemon trees that I tried to grow a few years ago. The mini oranges are about the size of a quarter and are quite tart. Maybe you could make orangeade instead of lemonade?

I recall ascorbic acid being used during the Great Depression to make lemonade. (I wasn't around for it, but I read about it somewhere...Maybe the Grapes of Wrath?)

Yes, ascorbic acid makes a passable lemonade that will also give you 100% of your vitamin C. Sour salt is another seasoning that gives the tartness of lemon. It is popular for those looking to lower their salt intake. Bulkfoods.com sells it. From their info on ascorbic acid: Vitamin C Powder can be used liberally on foods. It is one of the primary natural components of lemons. Shaking Ascorbic Acid Vitamin C powder on your dishes is very similar to squeezing natural lemon juice in flavor profile. It will not have the bitter flavor as when using an imitation real lemon flavor. It is much easier to use and very handy as it stores and shakes just like regular table salt. One gram of Vitamin C (1000mg) is approximately 1/4 teaspoon of ascorbic acid. The powder form of Vitamin C is the easiest way to get a good healthy amount of Vitamin C. It also is by far the most economical as well.

from nuclear war survival skills: One gram (1,000 mg) of crystalline ascorbic acid is 1/4 teaspoonful. If you do not have a 1/4 teaspoon, put one level teaspoonful of the crystals on a piece of paper, and divide the little pile into 4 equal parts; each will be approximately 1,000 mg. One of these 1,000 mg piles can easily be divided into 4 tiny piles, each 250 mg. A 250 mg pile provides 10 ample daily doses of 25 mg each. If your family has a 1,000,000 mg supply, taking a 50 mg daily dose of pure crystalline ascorbic acid may be preferred, either sprinkled on food or dissolved in water.

TMC's tiny oranges were probably calamondins.

:baseballbat: Stop calling my oranges names, Amber!

Actually, I don't know what they are. hubby bought the tree for my birthday right after we bought this house almost 20 years ago.

Archived