MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Disgusted and horrified

With this rash, other than things I'm consuming, DH and I keep going over and over things, nothing's changed, no new anything, same cleaning stuff, laundry detergent (all free clear), no new clothes, ect.

We keep going back to the washing machine. A few weeks ago, I even quit using Downy (was using the free clear variety of that as well). We did have the washer repaired in the fall of 2010, under warranty. It had to be completely torn apart, pulling the basket, tub and agitator out to get to the motor. Repair guy did mention to run an empty cycle with hot water and bleach through every other month or so because we had a few pieces of what he called "dried soap suds" in the tub. Ok, did that.

So after work today, DH decided to take some of the washer apart to see if maybe it was dirty or had something built up in it. When he pulled the agitator off, we were shocked and so very disgusted....There's this moldy/algae-y/dirt/soap scum/disgusting STUFF. It's rock hard.

I've been washing our laundry in THAT....our towels, our clothes, our sheets.....ewwwww

(I'm not sure how to post a pic here)

DH poured bleach on it, but nothing happened. My aunt suggested running CLR through the washer. We'll have to wait until DH gets home from work tomorrow to pick some up. Even if we can get rid of that, I wonder where else it could be growing....DH doesn't have tools/ability to take it apart any further. I don't know if I want to put my laundry in there ever again...

Edited by out_of_the_ordinary

Could you soak it by leaving a hot tub of water in it? To help soften it up? DH thinks you might have to scrape it off.

He says it might be lime, too, with the stuff, so CLR *might* help. But it would take a lot.

Do you have a water softener? Having one might help prevent it from returning in the future.

Glad you found it, at least.

:bighug2:

Sorry your washer is in dire straights.

When my spin cycle went out, I too, was horrified when I took it apart. Yuk..... Because the damage was too bad to repair we had to get a new one. However, we noticed a drastic difference in the cleanliness of our clothes.

Now, I have a maintenance schedule to run an heavy bleach load - to kill any mold, CLR - to deal with the lime scale, and a vinegar rinse cycle to try to keep it clean.

Thanks for the ideas, everyone!

We ran a rinse cycle after DH poured bleach in there last night and a little did come loose. I think you're right Cat; we may need to scrape it.

I filled it up with hot water and poured a jug of clorox in there. I'm going to let it sit until closer to DH coming home, then run it through a couple rinse cycles.

We have water softener because of the iron in our well water.

UGH. Wonder if that has anything to do with your itching? It would be nice if that was behind it all.

I remember being disgusted when I ran my hand under the rubber flange thing that goes around top of the inside of the washer. Most of it was dried on fabric softener, before I switched to dryer sheets. :0327:

Makes me wonder if my next washer should be a front loader without an agitator?

UGH. Wonder if that has anything to do with your itching? It would be nice if that was behind it all.

I've been wondering that about the itching and rash. It certainly couldn't be good for my skin. The rash had cleared from my neck. Thurs. evening I washed our throw pillows. Friday morning, I laid/slept on one of those throw pillows. By noon, I had the rash and intense itching on my neck. :gaah::shrug:

I did make some big progress. Between the bleach yesterday, and then CLR (sitting in there with hot water and then running it) twice, plus, scraping with a putty knife between each thing, alot of that "stuff" is gone. There were even small drain holes completely plugged that are now open. Makes me wonder what's inside of it all though. :yuk:

I think I'm down to corroded/rusty metal. The basket itself is stainless steel and still looks fine. This other metal is on the bottom of the basket, the part under the plastic of the agitator. [Manuf. used cheap metal where you don't see it?]

I'm not sure where to go from here. The washer is 3 1/2 years old and shouldn't have corrosion/rust there. It's still under warranty (bought an extended warranty when we bought it), but I don't know if they'd cover something like this. DH doesn't think they will because it's not mechanical or electrical. :shrug::gaah: I'm going to call, because it's worth a try.

I remember being disgusted when I ran my hand under the rubber flange thing that goes around top of the inside of the washer. Most of it was dried on fabric softener, before I switched to dryer sheets. :0327:

Makes me wonder if my next washer should be a front loader without an agitator?

The rubber around the door gets just as nasty. It's easier to see and clean though.

Reading this reminds me I need to run dishwasher detergent through mine again. I had started doing this a few years ago. I add the dishwasher detergent and let it run on hot. I think the orginal instructions said you could add extra bleach because it's in the dishwasher stuff anyway. I have to find the exact directions for that part. I usually just add the detergent.

This is apparently common. I googled mold in washers.

The main blame seems to be on fabric softner.

But the rust does not sound right on your washer if it is

only 3 years old. I have had 20 year old washers without

them being rusty.

I also have washed with only cold water for many years

and rarely use fabric softner.

My front loader Whirlpool stinks !! I have used OxiClean, since that is the same ingredient in the special washing machine cleaner you can buy. It still reeks ! I will try the dishwasher soap and see how it works. Never thought to try that. I have used bleach, but it still smells from plain bleach.

What else do any of you use ?

Great video Twilight. Gees, is there anything you can't find online or Youtube these days. We must have been really stupid back in the old days....speaking for myself there.

Most of my crud was from liquid fabric softener. It looked just like what she was dealing with plus all under the rubber flange, that circles the tub, was caked and gummy. I had to use a screwdriver then a small putty knife to get rid of it.

Instead of pipe cleaners one of those small sink snakes would work good too and be longer and less flexible.

I've heard a lot to people say their front load washer smells bad all the time.

We already got our money's worth on the extended warranty a year and a half ago when we had a problem. It might have been the motor... Anyway, DH asked how much it would have cost for parts and labor if it wasn't under warranty. It would have been over $600! :faint3: But the washer only cost $400! Maybe that's why they don't make anything to last! If we hadn't had the extended warranty, it would have been cheaper to buy a whole new washing machine!

Even with the warranty, I still feel like I bought a lemon.

More and more, I'm thinking my rash/itchyness is something to do with the washer. No rash on my shins while I wore shorts all week, one day of jeans, and the rash is back on my shins. My hands are getting red and itchy after just folding laundry. I've been drying my hands with paper towels instead of hand towels, and my hands are looking and feeling a little better.

I washed a load of DH's work clothes yesterday and noticed pieces of that corroded/rusted metal in the bottom of the washer. If that's the pieces of it I'm seeing, I wonder if there's tiny bits of it--not visable--that are on everything.

I've been hand-washing some of my lighter things. I didn't notice a difference while wearing those clothes the first time after hand-washing them, but did the second time. (And I'm using the same detergent.)

On a front loader you need to run a cleaning cycle regularly. Bleach and hot water cycle, with ZERO fabric in it. Once it ends, then make sure every time you use the washer and the cycle ends, OPEN the door and keep it open. You have to dry the gaskets to reduce any chance for mold. Also if you look at the schematic for it, you can usually remove the kickplate at the bottom front of the unit, then you can open the drain pipe to clear out the trap which is just before the impeller (which forces the water uphill out of the discharge pipe). This will make your washer run much better and extend the life of the motors.

PUMP CLEANOUT

Edited by Vic303