MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Hello From South America!

Hi All!

Cat invited me here from another forum and I am glad she did! I am a Christian wife and a mom of 4 kiddos. I am American, but am currently living & serving the Lord in Brazil with my husband and children. I grew up in NW Ohio, but lived in North Carolina for 14 years before moving to Brazil.

I live in the interior of Brazil in the state of Minas Gerais.

I am excited to be here among a group of like-minded women who understand the times and the necessity to be ready for what's coming. Right now I am trying to learn how to increase my food storage and how to store it -Brazilian style. It's VERY different & so much more expensive than it was in the US!

Thanks for welcoming me in! I look forward to spending some time here with y'all!

Blessings,

BR-Mom

:welcome4:

It's really interesting and informative when we can get a perspective from around the globe. We have several ladies [possibly a gent or two] who hail from other parts. It's important to have that broader view.

MtRider :thumbs:

welcomeflowrs.gif SO glad you came! :bouquet:

I wonder if dehydrating would be best in Brazil...?

And OHHHH... the wonderful growing season! Bananas and oranges! :D But then apples and strawberries are much more expensive. :(

I *love* Brazil. More specifically, the people I know there. :wub:

I was an extremely shy high-schooler forced to go *SOMEWHERE* by my Mom, since the Lions Club was sponsoring it and my sister had gone to Japan, so I "had" to. :( I applied as she made me, but prayed I wouldn't have to go, since there were other applicants. Just my luck... that year they chose *two*, a friend of mine, and ME. :0327:

Both of us had applied to go to Peru, but the political climate was bad at that time, so we switched to Brazil. A Brazilian exchange student at our school taught us a few words of Portuguese, but only "alface" (lettuce - we would joke about that one) and "banheiro" (bathroom - obviously a necessity!) really stuck with us. Both of us had learned some Spanish in 7th grade, so it wasn't horribly different.

While I was crying fearfully in my home, my Brazilian mother was crying in hers. Her husband had volunteered their home without her input, and they were middle class, not rich. Six children lived with the parents in a second-story four bedroom apartment... very small and simple. Two children lived away. The mother was certain they would get a snobbish rich American who would *hate* their home and their family and cause trouble and/or shame.

Well, they got me. :sEm_blush:

God placed me exactly where *He* wanted me. For the first time in my life, these people liked me for me, not because I was my parents' daughter or my siblings' sister. I was good at languages like my Dad, so I learned quickly and found ways to reach understanding between us when language didn't help. :happy0203: I fit in much better in their home than I would have in a wealthy family. I didn't care about traveling or sightseeing; I was happy to immerse myself in their home and culture.

It was only six weeks, but it changed my life. I found I had a value above what my own family had shown me (not much). I returned home with more confidence, and shared a lively correspondence with my "family".

God used that experience to work great things in my life. From that came other blessings that moved me forward. I don't think I would've met my husband if not for those blessings. :wub:

I returned twice more, but my Brazilian family was mostly in Minas Gerais, so I'm familiar with that area. BR-mom, don't give your city publicly, but you can send me a PM (private message) if you know any of these cities. Belo Horizonte (of course, it's the capitol of Minas! :) ), Juiz de Fora, Timoteo, Ipatinga, and my original "home", Manhuacu. (PM button is to the left, under my name - the envelope icon)

The second time I went, I showed my Brazilian mother and sisters how to make their own strawberry jam. They loved it! :)

Cat,

I love how the Lord led you here, and the testimony of how He used it to really teach you the value of YOU for who He made you to be, and not who others tried to make you to be.

The Brazilian people are wonderful. In the US I did not have family in NC where we lived, but we pastored a small Brazilian church and the Brazilians there were very much my family. Needless to say, I am very much at home here!

I know the cities you are talking about - my husband was in Juiz de Fora and some other cities/towns around there a week or so ago translating for a pastor friend of ours from Toronto that's here in Brazil for a month.

Maybe one day you'll make it back 'home' to Brazil :-)

I'll send you a PM with where I actually live.

Blessings!

welcomeflowrs.gif SO glad you came! :bouquet:

I wonder if dehydrating would be best in Brazil...?

And OHHHH... the wonderful growing season! Bananas and oranges! :D But then apples and strawberries are much more expensive. :(

I *love* Brazil. More specifically, the people I know there. :wub:

I was an extremely shy high-schooler forced to go *SOMEWHERE* by my Mom, since the Lions Club was sponsoring it and my sister had gone to Japan, so I "had" to. :( I applied as she made me, but prayed I wouldn't have to go, since there were other applicants. Just my luck... that year they chose *two*, a friend of mine, and ME. :0327:

Both of us had applied to go to Peru, but the political climate was bad at that time, so we switched to Brazil. A Brazilian exchange student at our school taught us a few words of Portuguese, but only "alface" (lettuce - we would joke about that one) and "banheiro" (bathroom - obviously a necessity!) really stuck with us. Both of us had learned some Spanish in 7th grade, so it wasn't horribly different.

While I was crying fearfully in my home, my Brazilian mother was crying in hers. Her husband had volunteered their home without her input, and they were middle class, not rich. Six children lived with the parents in a second-story four bedroom apartment... very small and simple. Two children lived away. The mother was certain they would get a snobbish rich American who would *hate* their home and their family and cause trouble and/or shame.

Well, they got me. :sEm_blush:

God placed me exactly where *He* wanted me. For the first time in my life, these people liked me for me, not because I was my parents' daughter or my siblings' sister. I was good at languages like my Dad, so I learned quickly and found ways to reach understanding between us when language didn't help. :happy0203: I fit in much better in their home than I would have in a wealthy family. I didn't care about traveling or sightseeing; I was happy to immerse myself in their home and culture.

It was only six weeks, but it changed my life. I found I had a value above what my own family had shown me (not much). I returned home with more confidence, and shared a lively correspondence with my "family".

God used that experience to work great things in my life. From that came other blessings that moved me forward. I don't think I would've met my husband if not for those blessings. :wub:

I returned twice more, but my Brazilian family was mostly in Minas Gerais, so I'm familiar with that area. BR-mom, don't give your city publicly, but you can send me a PM (private message) if you know any of these cities. Belo Horizonte (of course, it's the capitol of Minas! :) ), Juiz de Fora, Timoteo, Ipatinga, and my original "home", Manhuacu. (PM button is to the left, under my name - the envelope icon)

The second time I went, I showed my Brazilian mother and sisters how to make their own strawberry jam. They loved it! :)