MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Gonna be scarce...

Cat

You know, "When the cat's away, the mice do play..."? :shakinghead:

DH has a two week vacation planned, and we will probably spend most if not all of it in Michigan. Internet is iffy where we'll be, so I don't know how much I'll get to be online.

We have SO much to do here! I feel like I should send lilDD and DH up there and stay here to work. :(

There's something wrong with the roof crest inside this dumb manufactured house. It looks like we could have termites chewing on it or mice have invaded that space and are knocking "dust" down. :o It will take a major bit of work to check it out and see what must be done.

You know that chicken run that was partially crushed by half of a tree earlier this spring? DH has agreed to take some hens and a couple of roosters from his boss's wife. They're the kind I *love*... the Ameraucanas and Araucanas (not sure which) that lay colored eggs. And they come nearly ready to lay. BUT - the run is still damaged, it needs to be COMPLETELY re-enclosed and secured, and the hen house - well, the house is full of CANNING JARS. :shakinghead: And other stuff from DH's family and my Mom. :shakinghead:

And there are other "major projects" that need doing. :(

I'm trying to get stuff done, but there's always *MORE*.

ANYWAY...

DH says no more runcirclsmiley2.gif - we're gonna get away and relax. Yeah, riiiiight. sigh.gif

And yes, I am grateful to have a place to go that doesn't cost us much. We can use the in-law's camping trailer. But he doesn't seem to realize that cooking, cleaning, laundry, and work follow ME even there. So a real "vacation" it's not.

Still, I will praise the Lord, for He is good. I am SO blessed to have my DH and my family. I'll gripe sometimes and cry sometimes, but I know I have much to be thankful for. :wub:

**watching to see which mice pop up first** micky.gif xanimal_eek.gif mousehug.gif

((((((Cat))))))

Sometimes, time away is the best medicine. Even when it feels like everything is crumbling around you and :smiley_shitfan:

Take time to pamper yourself and whenever all the 'stuff' from home creep in, push it away and enjoy the time away. It will all be there when you get back, so don't worry about it.

Hoping you have a wonderful time and enjoy MI for me.

:bouquet:

Enjoy the time. And I do know what you mean that it all follows you. As much as I love the lake and cottage, there isn't a break for me when we go, in fact, it's usually more because of the lake with the kids being little. But take some time and recharge!

:bighug2:

cat, I've found the same thing. Vacation at a cabin/trailer/motorhome/etc usually means the same if not more work BUT!!!! Over the years I have found ways to cut back on that so I could enjoy the vacation like the rest...

First. delegate! Yup, explain to whoever is along with you that you aren't doing it all as YOU need a vacation too. Don't just wait for them to say OKAY I'll do this or that, explain exactly what you will NEED them to do. Make it as fun as possible though. Doing things together makes them go faster AND can be fun.

Second. DELEGATE... Okay, I was just trying to see if you were paying attention... :grinning-smiley-044:

Something that helped me was really thinking through all that seemed to be needed done on the road or when camping. It didn't take me long to figure out that a lot of it could be let go and it wouldn't really hurt a thing. I now take some of our vacation money and spend it on paper plates, cups, bowls and etc. I try to plan as many fix your own meals as possible, things like cooking on a stick over the fire or boil in a pouch meals. I also try to prepare meals ahead of time and take them frozen or at least have produce washed and prepared before we leave. We eat a lot of our foods fresh so that cuts the cooking time as well. I often cook meat ahead of time and freeze it for quick meals while on vacation. I use a crock pot and a rice cooker as well as my insulated cooker. One pot meals are great and cuts the clean up greatly. There are just so many ways to cut cooking and prep time and besides, I use those times to practice for TSHTF situations.

Then there is the laundry thing. When it needs doing, I make sure everyone helps with it. It's their dirty clothes too and I tell them *I'm* on vacation toooooo. Cleaning is the same way.

I learned a long time ago that our expectations of ourselves is often a whole lot greater than from others. I learned that vacations should be about having fun, relaxing, and enjoying togetherness and not about making sure everything was perfect. I learned that even if I did find myself thinking of all the things I should be doing at home I could use that time to RE-think what really did need to be done there. Stepping away from the situation often times gave me a perspective that allowed me to step outside the box for ideas and for solutions. I didn't even begin to stop myself from thinking of them because often times I'd come up with such good ideas that I didn't NEED to think of them again.

Cat, you CAN have a good time on this vacation. Just tell yourself you DESERVE this time with DH and others if they are there. We'll all behave here so you won't have to worry. (okay, MOST of us will behave :whistling: ) We want you to come back rested and ready to get us towing the mark again, okay?

Have a good time, Cat. We send our love with you.

:bighug2:

Sitting here in the "Adult Recreation Room" with two guys doing their work here, both on computers and talking on their phones. Apparently one's in insurance, and the other one is ranging from product placement on shelves to other info-gathering. :shrug:

We're doing OK. Of course, those first nasty storms went through our area while we were here. We weren't sure if any trees had fallen on the house or pole barn, if the power was on, etc. I was ready to head south. But our DS went over to check on the house. We had to explain that if the power was out, we'd have a freezer and refrigerator MESS to take care of. (I think he was worried about his responsibility if it was out... what me might NEED him to do. He's very unsure of himself in that regard.)

Then after that was settled, we heard ANOTHER storm went through, but apparently that one missed us.

We were going to take a pontoon boat ride last night, but in a VERY short time, some nasty-looking hornets had built a paper-ball nest complete with larva in it. So we had to "abandon ship" and knock it off and get some spray to get rid of it. Maybe I'm dumb, but I really wasn't that scared of it. There were four hornets. I went back in to shut off the motor and retrieve the keys. :shrug:

I know we're staying over the Fourth. Not sure when we'll head home after that.

Home today. Had a phone message about Windmorn. I'm praying for her and her daughters. How do you express what words cannot say? :sad-smiley-012:

I couldn't get online for three days. It was MORE THAN FRUSTRATING. I tried not to complain but it was irritating at best. If we had been doing something, it might have been easier to take. But when cable TV "reality" shows were all we were "doing" most of the time, it wasn't fun. I can only take so much "Pawn Stars" and "Swamp People" (REALLY???? :shakinghead: ), and old movies got OLD fast. To get online, I had to drive to one of several places with DH's laptop, and sometimes it was too crowded, internet didn't work, or it was too hot to stay if it was outside.

It is difficult traveling through so much farm country and seeing field after field of drying corn plants. Those who are irrigating run the risk of draining the water well supplies of surrounding places. The water table has dropped in some areas, and wells may need to be re-drilled, if possible.

Our pond is about two feet lower (we can tell from the little island), and the swamp is damp ground. There are animal prints of all kinds; they are coming to the only water source nearby. The ditches are WAY down or dry.

The house was at 95 degrees when we got home (over 100 outside). After 7 hours of constant running, the air conditioner has it down to 84. Maybe it will be 78 by morning. meltsmile.gif

It was nice for DH. He actually started sleeping in as late as 7 AM, which is really rare for him. We had some time with his parents and his sister, and he got to take us out on quite a few boat rides on the pontoon, which he enjoys. I was surprised he didn't go fishing, but it was hot most of the time, even mornings.

It will be *WONDERFUL* to be back in my own bed tonight. bigbed.gif The mattress there is so hard it hurts my back and shoulders.