MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Arthritis hands

One of my co-workers is on vacation week. She will not be back until the end of next week.

There are two jobs that are very hard on your hands, wrist and shoulder. One job is not hard to learn. The other job is considered skilled. We rotate 6 positions between 11 people so it's not so hard on your hands.3 of my co-workers are not trained on the skilled job. With the co-worker on vacation instead on being on the skilled job 3 hours a day I've been on it 6 to 7 hours.

I have arthritis in my hands and It's killing me this week.

Any ideas on how to calm the pain down .

I have arthritis in my knee badly--no cartilege left. I must take Aleve at night and that I feel is the key for me. During the day, I also take Tylenol but moreso I use Wm brand but not for arthritis but muscle aches and pains. This works better for me. I have taken prescription Celebrex which works for me but Arthrotec did not. I try not to take anything more than I have to. However I feel for natural use, eat cherries...they are anti-inflammatory and I always feel better after cherry season.

One of my co-workers is on vacation week. She will not be back until the end of next week.

There are two jobs that are very hard on your hands, wrist and shoulder. One job is not hard to learn. The other job is considered skilled. We rotate 6 positions between 11 people so it's not so hard on your hands.3 of my co-workers are not trained on the skilled job. With the co-worker on vacation instead on being on the skilled job 3 hours a day I've been on it 6 to 7 hours.

I have arthritis in my hands and It's killing me this week.

Any ideas on how to calm the pain down .

I have degenerative arthritis in both thumbs (at teh base). Hurts like anything! I find some relief with Naproxen Sodium (Aleve), and my Mom treats her shoulder arthritis with Voltaren.

I have it in my hands also, I take rx for it but the thing that helps me the most is crocheting EVERY day. I know that won't help in the short run, but my dr says the more I use them the less they hurt, and he was right!! I can tell if I don't crochet one day, they are all sore the next!! Also, the hot wax treatments I get at the nail salon help A lot too!!

Just a suggestion...find a pair of cheap cotton gloves. Cut the fingers out up to the first knuckle. At bed time, rub your hands with Unkers (lots of Dutch/Omish stores carry it) & put the gloves on and go to sleep. Pretty good.

I can't speak for the meds, but do use a hot wax when my hands are really painful. My wax pot came from Walmart, on the after Christmas sales, (also a great time to buy the wax) and was not costly. You dip your hands in the warm wax, put on the mittens that come with the pot, and relax. It is just so soothing. The plus is that your hands are silky soft after too.

Great ideas. I do take Aleve every day.

The wax sounds wonderful lovenit. :cloud9:

I stopped crocheting everyday this week but I'm making 7 Solomon's knot shawls for Christmas gifts so I have to keep at it.:santa:

I have borax , that reminds me I need to make more laundry soap. :clothesline:

My diet could improve a lot.:sEm_blush:

Philbe I live in a big Amish community so finding something the Amish use is not a problem.

I haven't used Aspercream in a long time. That would work on my shoulder and elbow which is mostly muscle pain.

I'm praying that I can get a different job, I want out of the factory.

Just a suggestion...find a pair of cheap cotton gloves. Cut the fingers out up to the first knuckle. At bed time, rub your hands with Unkers (lots of Dutch/Omish stores carry it) & put the gloves on and go to sleep. Pretty good.

Additional comment...I've had "great" muscle rubs from hubby with Unkers...:whistling: and it feels soooo good! Unkers isn't the same concoction as mentholatum rubs though, so don't bypass it as an anelgesic (?). Just as another footnote...I stock mentholatum rubs etc.

Over the last year I have started to learn about using essential oils and herbal remedies to treat my families ailments. Of course the problem with essential oils is you realllllly have to research companies because some mix other things in with there "pure" oil and they are allowed to do that as long as they have I think 51 or 52 percent of the actual oil in the product. With that said I have been using Paine essential oil from Butterfly Express and it is wonderful! It really helps with different types of pain. I use it on my feet for arthritis pain. Of course my arthritis may be cause by something different than yours. I also have used this oil for other aches and pains such as cramps, muscle pulls, injuries. Truly a wonderful thing. I put it on my mothers knee after surgery and she reported a marked decrease in inflammation and pain. Of course before you use this you must mix it with a carrier oil. I use almond, olive, or coconut....

• 2 weeks later...

Additional comment...I've had "great" muscle rubs from hubby with Unkers...:whistling: and it feels soooo good! Unkers isn't the same concoction as mentholatum rubs though, so don't bypass it as an anelgesic (?). Just as another footnote...I stock mentholatum rubs etc.

No, Unkers is definitely NOT the same as a mentholatum rub mix. And yes, I stock plenty of jars of mentholatum rub, it's good for fungas around nails plus feels mighty good on the bottoms of your feet and as a chest rub when you're sort of congested at night. Dollar Tree has them for $1 a jar whereas WM charges nearly $5 a jar...figure?