MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

stressful day ...

What a start to the day - credit card company called this morning to ask if we had made a slew of charges last night, THANKFULLY the activity trigger a fraud alert, and they contacted us before things got too out of hand. Numerous charges were already approved with the rest she said were denied because the account was suspended until they contacted us. I am shocked, and worried that it's not just the credit card. I am worried as to whether whoever has that info can open more accounts with just that basic info?? My mind is racing today.

I am grateful that the company is helping and were the ones who notified us before it got further (I wouldn't have noticed until I checked the statement!) but at the same time, i am scared of further issues, and mad that people do this sort of thing.

I've had that happen to me too. It makes me so angry. The last time it was someone in Ireland. I was charged with a purchase and a conversion charge from dollars to Euro. I didn't have to pay for it but still... I can't understand how someone can feel entitled to my money.

I have a credit card that I ONLY use over the phone or on line. I keep a low line of credit on that card just in case it gets hacked. That way I won't get wiped out. In fact, that card never leaves the house.

I hate that that happened to you. I know how scary, angry and vulnerable you feel.

We all should take note...every time we purchase with a credit card, we take the chance. ONE of the things we must always do is to create an extremely secure passcode, and not use the same one for everything we do online, especially if it involves finances etc. So glad our friend and her card carrier was on their toes!

Sorry it happened to you.

If you have internet access to your account, check on all the charges and make sure to verify with them, on the phone, about all charges that are not yours. Even with out net access, talk with them.

Most CrCd companies will honor id theft and remove all charges, as long as you are diligent with them.

We have had it happen more often than I would ever have wanted. We no longer use any of our debit/CrCds in any outdoor service providers, like gas stations and ATMs. Card readers are too easily inserted into those machines without detection.

thanks, it's definitely making me rethink using credit cards at places like gas stations, etc. No clue where they got our info, but I am going to cut down on the opportunities where I can. I'd love to go cc free, but then the issue of cash being lost/stolen arises, and a card being needed for things like car rentals, I guess there's something either way.

I am sorry to hear that it also happened to you, Jeepers and Annarchy. :hug3: I hope there are no more issues like this for any of us.

One of our cards had a 19 cent charge on it that was caught by the credit card co. Someone will put a small charge through - if it works and isn't caught they will hit you with the big one later on. The second time we had a scare, one of cc my purchases was denied because the card had been compromised. A near by city had had a run with credit/debit card identity theft. I think some one was picking the numbers from the debit machines at a few different stores. We met a young lady that had been in that city for a hockey game, and had her bank account cleaned out overnight. We're in Canada - the withdrawals were made from Boston.

Be careful and vigilant with health savings accounts too if you use a credit card type thing. I went to the eye doctor...last patient in the building...and my health savings account was wiped out on plane tickets, photo processing, etc. So how does all THAT qualify as HEALTH purchases???

Dimwit company didn't blink...tho they'd stopped DH from buying a knee brace at Walmart cuz it came from "sporting goods" rather than 'health/beauty' section of the store. :banghead: They did, however, have to restore our correct amount of money....which we promptly withdrew and placed in a different type of health savings account.

MtRider [sheeeeeeeeeeeeesh! Hope your situation is resoved quickly! ]