MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Moving, moving, moving....again

Good Morning!

Hello :) It looks like dh's dream is gonna come true and we will be moving into a "new" rental in the country in 30-45 days. It is an old farmhouse (100+ yrs) that is structurally sound but needs a lot of cosmetic TLC. The new landlord is very gracious and we will be able to have chickens, rabbits, goats and help him/split some feeder calves. A garden spot is already plowed. We have already got a garden in the ground here in town so I don't know how that will go. The house is approximately the same size as the one we are in, but I will be losing my dedicated sewing room. It has floor radiant heaters that are heated with a wood boiler. I don't know anything about that but I guess we will learn. It will be an adventure :)

Blessings,

Carie

Sounds great. Too bad you have to start over with garden but hopefully yours will be a blessing to someone.

" floor radiant heaters that are heated with a wood boiler." Does that mean it's not electric dependent??? That would be great tho an electric back up would be nice if you weren't going to be home to stoke the boiler.

MtRider :thumbs:

Good Morning!

Hello :) It looks like dh's dream is gonna come true and we will be moving into a "new" rental in the country in 30-45 days. It is an old farmhouse (100+ yrs) that is structurally sound but needs a lot of cosmetic TLC. The new landlord is very gracious and we will be able to have chickens, rabbits, goats and help him/split some feeder calves. A garden spot is already plowed. We have already got a garden in the ground here in town so I don't know how that will go. The house is approximately the same size as the one we are in, but I will be losing my dedicated sewing room. It has floor radiant heaters that are heated with a wood boiler. I don't know anything about that but I guess we will learn. It will be an adventure :)

Blessings,

Carie

I would try to take my garden with me by digging each plant with a good amount of its surrounding soil, put it into a bucket & then transplant it into it's new "home". I'm betting it will do great, but...even if it doesn't at least you've tried. And congratulations on your upcoming new home!!!

Sounds great. Too bad you have to start over with garden but hopefully yours will be a blessing to someone.

" floor radiant heaters that are heated with a wood boiler." Does that mean it's not electric dependent??? That would be great tho an electric back up would be nice if you weren't going to be home to stoke the boiler.

MtRider :thumbs:

MtRider,

There is propane furnace back up. So if we don't stoke the fire, the gas furnace will kick on (through the same radiant heaters somehow, it is all connected and looks like quite the contraption). The landlord already has a bit of wood cut and we will just have to cut it into smaller pieces. We have teenage boys. Do these wall heater things have "blowers"? My parents had a wood stove when I was a child that was connect to the floor vents and had an electric blower, and a back up gas furnace. When the power was out they would hook a generator to the blower unit, stock the woodstove and be good to go. But I didn't see a blower unit? I guess I don't understand the system. The landlord said that before it got cold we would call a heating/air company and have them come out and look the whole thing over and they could tell us how to work it. This is his grandparents/parents place and he hasn't lived there for 40 years :) It would be sweet if it didn't use any electricity because I hate dealing with the generator, but I can't visualize how the heat gets through the house without a blower. lol

Thanks for all the encouragement. Assuming we can get internet out there ( or are willing to pay what it will cost) I will be around a lot more. I turned into quite the city girl the last 18 months living in town.

Oh, and I will pass on the tip to try to move the garden :)

Blessings,

Carie

Carrie, if it is radiant heat....that means it does not have blowers. [unless it is a hybrid system???] From the term radiant = radiates the heat through pipes filled with water or an anti-freeze solution (if it is a closed system). OR it might have units to radiate similar to baseboard heaters with the fins, or the older models of radiant heat are the iron radiators of long ago.

I love radiant heat cuz it doesn't blow dust around - my allergy. Long ago a friend had this and currently, our church is heated with radiant heat.

However after I asked about non-electric, I realized that some power would be needed to circulate the fluid thru the pipes. So in that way, you'd still need electric.....unless my limited understanding is leaving something out. Circulating pumps might not take too much electric tho. Not like trying to produce heat [electric baseboard heating] which is super high use of electric. The wood is the power that will be producing the actual heat, apparently. Sounds like it will be an economical way to heat.

MtRider --good luck with packing, etc. :cheer:

Mt Rider,

Took ds#2 out to see the house so I looked and the whole system is "plugged in" so it uses electricty for something. I guess we will find out how it operates this fall. Ds #2 likes the place so I think it is a go....dh will be meeting with the landlord tomorrow.

Thanks,

Carie

• 2 weeks later...

It is :) I wish we were buying but that isn't God's plan for us right now. The cleaning/painting is overwhelming. I'm going to spend all day out there working on cleaning. And we have no extra money. The state is messing with my dh's paychecks (he is a state employee). There's never enough to go around I guess. Oh well. Trying to keep a smile on my face and my chin up. It's just work, right? :)