MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Weather Check-In

Annarchy

How is everyone handling the extreme weather? Hoping everybody is doing OK and wishing I had some cold weather. I sincerely miss snow.

Our forecast is predicting the 80's & 90's for the next couple of days and it's supposed to break records back to before they kept records. That is NOT a good sign for the desert in February. I am already dreading to see how hot we get this year. :knary:

7" near Knoxville. It's already mid-30's & going fast. We packed as much clean snow as we could in pots & buckets earlier to run through the Berkey. Shoveled walks & drives (just like "old time" ...er... when we were in Wyo, hehe). The boys are out having a BLAST sledding down the neighbor's hill. With her permission, of course ;) She actually offered it to them. She has an amazing sledding hill!

Been ranging in the 20's or so during day and about 3 at night...BUT...it's supposed to get alot warmer today and tomorrow! There's still alot of snow on the grounds (we got a total of about 8" throughall of episodes) but roads are clear. It won't be long before our March weather starts to arrive...oops..."supposed" to ariive arrive? :-)

Edited by Philbe

We packed as much clean snow as we could in pots & buckets earlier to run through the Berkey.

:scratchhead: AO5? Did you lose power/water? Or are you just doing a trial run for iffen ya have to some day? :campfire:

Cuz otherwise, it would be extremely better to fill those pots/buckets with WATER. You'll get *maybe* an inch or two of water in each container when it melts. Depends on if it's wet or dry snow. Snow does not really contain that much water. It's mostly air.

Our weather is snow covered, sunny, getting warmer each day and some Chinook [snow-eater] winds. Slowly melting. It will be above freezing most of today. So....warmer weather is coming eastward...... Sending hope to y'all that are getting mighty tired of snow/cold. :grouphug:

MtRider :wave:

:scratchhead: AO5? Did you lose power/water? Or are you just doing a trial run for iffen ya have to some day? :campfire:

Trial run (just got the Berkey for Cmas, so I'm doin' all sortsa trials). We packed it in HARD! We made out with about 1/3-2/5 water to snow ratio. Really isn't too bad, but I wanted to know :) This WAS a packable snow, but I know for drier snow, it will be much different. As soon as I am where there is a dry snow, I'll test that theory, too, LOL!

One day, we may need to do this, so I think it's good info.

Edited by ArmyOfFive4God

When I was hauling water and ran out during snow season (because the road was too bad to pull the water trailer over) , I would keep a large pot next to the stove, full of snow. Have some HOT water on the stove and add snow to it until it is full of slush. Let it get hot before using if you aren't running it thru a really good filter. If no filter, boil whatever you are using for cooking or drinking.

Edited by CrabGrassAcres

When I was hauling water and ran out during snow season (because the road was too bad to pull the water trailer over) , I would keep a large pot next to the stove, full of snow. Have some HOT water on the stove and add snow to it until it is full of slush. Let it get hot before using if you aren't running it thru a really good filter. If no filter, boil whatever you are using for cooking or drinking.

I would also add that regardless of the method you use to run your water through flour sack towel or other tight knit cloth to filter out the larger particles- dirt, leaves, sticks, or as in our case- dog fur (yeah, that thing SHEDS ALL OVER!) + other debris. Especially good for extending the life of your filter cartridges :)

High's in the 40's low's in the 30's cloudy but not really rainy though it sprinkles now and again. Could really still use more snow pack. It's not looking pretty for this summer (drought!) unless we get more snow pack and in general more moisture. I mean look at this.. most of OREGON is showing severe drought.

Drought-Monitor-2-4-2014.jpg

We are in the extreme drought area. Today the weather was in the 60's and humid after 4 nice days of rain. We are also battling mosquito's...very early for our area. That is one of my big fears. We're pretty much having no winter at all...I wonder if the bug situation will be bad....

Ugggg.... NOT looking forward to 90* today.

The one lettuce plant that sprouted, withered in the 85* heat yesterday. Nothing stops the heat stroke.

I guess they deem us as moderate drought because it is a desert anyway. :scratchhead:

We are already having to water the garden, at least two times a day.