MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

How to Make a Face Mask

I have a supply of N95 mask from Doctor that I worked for when he retired. Family members are using them as well as us. But they won't last forever and I want to try making some.  No they won't be as good as the N95, but they will remind you to keep your hands away from your face and will give you some protection. I am thinking if you could spray them with Lysol or a light bleach solution then let dry before using if those would give you better protection than just making them and using as is. 

• Like 1

The surgical masks only protect the other person from your cooties. So, if everyone wore even just a surgical mask then we would be protecting everyone else and everyone else would be protecting us. You protect me with your mask and I'll protect you with my mask. Well, that's the way it sounds in my head. 

Quick, someone call the CDC. I've got this thing all figured out. Sniff - Sniff. Smell that? I'm smelling a Nobel Peace Prize in my future.  :eclipsee_Victoria:

• Haha 3

Yep, Jeepers.  As convoluted as that sounds.. :lol:  ..correct!  Which is what Asia does during "flu season".  Did that just start after SARS?  Didn't you live in Japan for a time?

It will provide SOME protection for wearer....especially if the nose piece is adjusted/bend to fit your face.  AND if it's worn with the bottom under the chin.  Slapped on like a Post-It.....not doing the job.  :grinning-smiley-044: 

MtRider  :ph34r:

Yes I did Mt. Rider. We lived there a year. Our overseas tour of duty was supposed to end in Japan after two years. But the base closed so they were sending us back stateside. But we volunteered for our final year in Taiwan. Another couple was supposed to go but she was having a break down over it and threatened to leave her husband if he went so we took the assignment. We were on the same island as Nagasaki. Kyushu. Mao was in power then.

Chiang Kai Shek was the leader when we were in Taiwan. Lots of armed guards in the streets and we had to be very careful about what we said. 

Anyway, I never saw anyone wearing a mask in either country.

• Like 1

Jeepers, I see you have gotten to do a bit of traveling to other countries. Even though it was through military. I know it was interesting to see other cultures and how they live.  

I saw a U-Tube the other day about making mask. It is a no sew method. They take the material and use a thin piece of HEPA filter and put on material where your face and nose will be, then fold the material at top and bottom over the filter. Then using 2 ponytail ties they put one on each end and then fold each end of the material over and flip the ends into each other to hold them n place. The ponytail holders go over the ears and then just put the mask over face and nose. When done you throw away the filter and wash the material. Then make another one when you need to use it again.  Though I am going to go through my material and see what I have to make some but using a piece of HEPA filter on the outside with a piece of material tacked over it so it can be removed after each use. Need to figure it all out.

Yep Littlesister. Japan and Taiwan was military. D-ex was a Chinese linguist and I helped him study so I picked up a lot. That was another reason we didn't hesitate going to Taiwan. He also taught conversational English in Japan. So, we made the best of it. It helped that we had a little blue eyed white haired baby too. 

Mexico, Greece, Turkey and Germany were a working vacation through D-ex job. On the Greece and Turkey one we were on a cruise ship. :faint3:

• Like 2

Do I have to glue some weird color of cloth to the outside of my surgical mask.....or be afraid someone will rip it off and say it should be used BY MEDICAL PEOPLE ONLY?  :behindsofa:   

<_<   I've had them about 7 years.....  and I DO reuse them.  I even wash the semi-paper ones.  I hang the N95 ones in our strong, high-altitude sun for sanitizing in the UV light.  ]

MtRider   <_<   What a difference 24 hrs makes, yeah? 

Jeepers you have been blessed to get to go to those places.  I have heard that Taiwan is a beautiful place. The Doctor I used to work for was Japanese. He came here for college and went to Medical school in NY. Said he loved the Bay Bridge area and decided to live here. I worked with him for almost 20 years. 

I am looking still for the elastic and nose pieces for making the mask. So far it will be May before I can get any. Still looking though I do have the material for them. Everyone has jumped on the ban wagon now and making mask. Guess I should have checked my sewing supplies much sooner than I did. 

• Like 1
9 hours ago, Mt_Rider said:

Do I have to glue some weird color of cloth to the outside of my surgical mask.....or be afraid someone will rip it off and say it should be used BY MEDICAL PEOPLE ONLY?  :behindsofa:   

<_<   I've had them about 7 years.....  and I DO reuse them.  I even wash the semi-paper ones.  I hang the N95 ones in our strong, high-altitude sun for sanitizing in the UV light.  ]

MtRider   <_<   What a difference 24 hrs makes, yeah? 

I hope not. But while I was in Lowe's this morning a man did say to me hay you have the good mask. Told him I had it for years left over from before I retired. So wondering if I would have to be careful and maybe put some cloth over my mask. They are about 10 years old.

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

https://www.businessinsider.com/homemade-mask-using-hydro-knit-shop-towel-filters-better-2020-4

The people in this article did some tests on what the best filtering materials are...this brand of blue shop towels rated the highest. I ran to Harbor Freight this morning to get some and they were limiting it to one package because they had a huge run on them this morning. I have a friend who is making the homemade ones with pockets and I’ll cut the shop towels for liners. That way they can be washed.

9C765442-2692-4323-B517-847A70CA7E57.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • 2 weeks later...

DH needed to run out to his work to sign and pick up some things.  He wasn't going to be there long and wanted to wear a DIY bandana mask but didn't want it to irritate his ears.  My fast solution was paperclips.

20200416_125341.jpg

• Like 3

paper clips is a great idea. Looks like it did the job.  I am going to start making some. I was waiting on my order for the elastic but still not here yet. But will just make them up to the point where I need to add the elastic and then just wait for that to finish them.  Looking at other options also but will need to get the clothes line rope for that pattern. It is a no pleat type. And I need to go back to my e-mail to find it again and print that one out. Will post it here when I find it again. 

• Like 1

NNSY converted the sail shop to make  pleated masks for all sailors and employees.  They are corded ties without elastic and have a metal bit in the top.  DH was given one as part of his packet when he went in today.  I'll try to get a pic tomorrow.

• Like 2
  • 2 weeks later...

When making your mask make a pocket in it so you can add a filter. Use an ac/heater allergy filter. Cut it to fit your mask pocket.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Filtrete-16x25x1-Healthy-Living-Advanced-Allergen-Reduction-HVAC-Furnace-Air-Filter-1500-MPR-Pack-of-4-Filters/37532019

Also the blue shop disposable towels are good. Coffee filters work in a pinch but the blue shop towels are better, but the air filter is the best. Instead of the flat pleated mask try the more form fitting mask. https://www.prettyhandygirl.com/best-fit-face-mask/

Instead of elastic you can use shoe strings to tie around your head. The elastic makes your ears so after a while (personal experience) I have one of each the form fitting and the flat pleated mask. We are allowed to wear homemade mask at work and I prefer the form fitting one because it has a shoe string that I can tie. I can wear it longer.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1