MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

How much time.....

How much time do you spend in your kitchen?  I go in spurts.  Some days I spent a whole morning making cookies, yesterday morning was enchiladas for a luncheon, etc.  Of course, part of the morning is spent on cleanup too.  Ack!  I usually cook way more than we need because, as I've said before, I cook for the freezer.

Another day I don't spend much time there at all.  I pull from the freezer or fix us a sandwich and soup. My DH is an easy keeper and is just happy when I feed him and he doesn't have to fend for himself....which he does at times.

I eat out with girlfriends periodically, but DH and I seldom ever eat away from home.

How does your kitchen work?  Lots of time in it or as little time as possible spent there?

• Like 2

My kitchen has two sections.  One with a regular sink and a gas stove top and the other with a low wheelchair accessible counter, electric glass top stove, and small sink.  That way DH and I can both work in it at the same time.  There is a large microwave/convection oven and a medium toaster oven we both use.  I spend at least four or six hours a day for two to three days a week.  I also make a lot of food ahead.  Cleanup goes on while I'm cooking but still adds time. I actually like to be in the kitchen.  I love concocting. :grinning-smiley-044:

• Like 2

Four to six hours?  I'm impressed Mother.  You must like the kitchen better than I do. :laughkick: Your kitchens sound wonderful.  Having 2 would really make it easier to can too.  One kitchen for your canners, etc.  the other for just your regular cooking while the other is being used.

• Like 2

Only we only have one kitchen with the regular sink and gas stove on one side and the wheelchair accessible on the other with the table in the center.  But I always wanted a canning kitchen and a family one.  Sigh! 

• Like 2

I spend more time in the summer and fall in kitchen than any other time of year. That is when I do most of my canning. Now that it is just me, I am not doing the cooking like I was but still cook. So, during summer and fall months I usually spend about 7 to 10 hours in kitchen depending on how much I have to can. During the winter months my freezers are usually full, and I spend winter months canning meats. Though this past winter with construction going on and still going on, my freezers are still calling me and saying please can me. But that is still on hold till they at least get the kitchen finished.  I was hoping that would get done tomorrow, but now it may be next week. The back splash didn't come in yet.

• Like 1

I cook everything from scratch, no matter what it is so depending on the type of meal I'm making, that will dictate how much time I spend there.

The Kitchen has always been my favorite room in the house and I have the equipment to back that up.

As well all know, there are times when the kitchen is literally lived in...canning sessions, holidays, etc. But overall, it's the main room in my house, other than the greenroom that I spend alot of time in with work.

I don't eat out much either...that sometimes feels like work too sometimes. Sometimes I'll order out and pick it up when the day has flown and I'm just not in the mood to cook. Last week I had the same thing over and over for 5 days only because I was craving it so that tends to dictate how much I cook too.

One of the most beautiful things I get to observe is my girls managing their own kitchens now, cooking from scratch like I've always done, and doing a pretty darn good job at it too. I still get the texts and phone calls for "how do I make this dish you always made? or "how. come my ???doesn't turn out like yours?", but I'm sure at some point in time, they will have collected all our family receipes over time, added a few of their home and will simply fly.

• Like 3

I cook 2-3 pounds of dried beans at a time and freeze large containers for future meals.  Make 5# of meatloaf and freeze some.  I cook a couple of times a week on average and we have leftovers.  Eat out once or twice a year.

I can all the time--dog food tomorrow.  making it this evening.

The kitchen is definitely my favorite room!

• Like 1

Only we only have one kitchen with the regular sink and gas stove on one side and the wheelchair accessible on the other with the table in the center.  But I always wanted a canning kitchen and a family one.  Sigh! 

Well shoot, I guess I read that wrong Mother.  Sorry about that! :hug3: I pictured you working away in 2 kitchens.  It would be convenient, that's for sure. 

I like the kitchen too but not nearly as much as the rest of you.  I love hearing everything you all do.  It's so interesting.  :grouphug:

• Like 1

We've eaten out more since my accident, but I usually provide 3 meals and 2 snacks each day.   I also do seasonal canning or baking.  It can vary wildly per day but weekly it averages out to be about 3-4 hours a day cooking and 1-2 hours a day cleaning.  

• Like 2
  • 3 weeks later...