MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

What are you dehydrating today?

Rezgirl

• Replies 222
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm on a yogurt dot kick.

Mix 1 C of yogurt + 1 box of sugar free jello. Mix well and drop onto non-stick sheets.

Dry at 'fruit' temp. They are done when bendy.

I did jerky last week...not much left of that. Dh has been to it. :)

Today is the start on about 20 lbs of onions. I get food from the local food bank and three weeks in a row they have given out about 5 lbs of onions so I'm overflowing. Next will be sweet potatoes, made into chips for snacking.

Today is the start on about 20 lbs of onions. I get food from the local food bank and three weeks in a row they have given out about 5 lbs of onions so I'm overflowing. Next will be sweet potatoes, made into chips for snacking.

CN, may I ask how you do these "sweet Potato chips" ? Do you slice them then cook, then dry ?

I did an "experiment" with my dehydrator. I purchased several bags of frozen vegetables, to dry.

The first bag I placed in boiling water to bring up tp temp, then dried. These took about 8 hours.

The second batch I placed in the trays still frozen, and in 5 hours, all were dehydrated!

I did 3 varieties of “Mixed Vegetables”, 1 for chicken/Ramon another for Beef Ramon and a 3rd for Pork Ramon. 5 pounds of frozen product dried down to 10 ounces ( about 3 cups). I use 1 Table-spoon to 1 package of Ramon, and it comes out way cheaper that the Cup-of-Ramon.

CN, may I ask how you do these "sweet Potato chips" ? Do you slice them then cook, then dry ?

Steam-blanch the peeled, uncooked slices for 8-10 minutes, then dip in lemon juice to retain color. Dehydrate. Or you can cook whole in a 300 deg F. oven until just soft, cool, peel and then slice. Dehydrate.

Steam-blanch the peeled, uncooked slices for 8-10 minutes, then dip in lemon juice to retain color. Dehydrate. Or you can cook whole in a 300 deg F. oven until just soft, cool, peel and then slice. Dehydrate.

Can you use vinegar instead of lemon juice?

Vinegar won't do the same thing. I needs to be bottled lemon juice or Fruit Fresh or Vitamin C tablets crushed and dissolved. It is citric acid, not acetic acid as in vinegar. The vitamin C prevents browning.

Also, just for your information, bottled lemon juice is 2 times as acidic as vinegar.

Celery today, celery tomorrow, and some carrots to can on Friday!

(Our local grocery store has celery and carrots 10 for $10 this week! *Snoopy Happy Dance*)

I'm on a yogurt dot kick.

Mix 1 C of yogurt + 1 box of sugar free jello. Mix well and drop onto non-stick sheets.

Dry at 'fruit' temp. They are done when bendy.

I did jerky last week...not much left of that. Dh has been to it. :)

I've never heard of it? What does it look and taste like? Can you use it for dog treats?

Oops! you cannot give dogs artificial sweetner. http://www.strongpets.com/xylitol.php

The next time you use a product containing an artificial sweetener, be sure to keep it out of reach of your dog. The Animal Poison Control Center (APCC) has issued a warning against the artificial sweetener Xylitol, found in many sugar-free products. This sweetener is toxic to dogs and may cause death. In 2005, the APCC managed more than 170 cases in which dogs were sick due to ingesting Xylitol. Now in 2006, they have already seen 114 cases involving this sweetener.

A dog who ingests Xylitol may experience a sudden drop in blood sugar which will result in depression, loss of coordination and seizures. Symtoms may be seen within 30 minutes to an hour after eating the products. Some of these products may include gum, toothpaste, gum drops, hard candy, multivitamins, cough drops and mouthwash. Veterinarians are finding the amount a dog needs to ingest in order to achieve toxicity is much lower than previously thought.

So dog owners, think twice before placing your pack of gum on the counter - and if you carry a purse with Xylitol products, to not keep it on the ground. Consider keeping toothpaste and mouthwash out of your dog's reach as well.

I did some more potatoes. These had been soaking in the lemon juice water in the fridge, I think over 2 nights. They came out differently than the others. I took a pic... :)

DriedPotatoes.gif

The yellow ones on the right are the potatoes that sat in the lemon juice water as I sliced them, then taken out, not rinsed, and dried. I had to turn the dehydrator off overnight (The Husband doesn't like to leave it on), so they dried slowly. The white ones are the recent ones. They have a powdery bloom (that doesn't really rub off) to them, and have a dark ring a little bit in from the edge. Hopefully you can see it. The newer batch is much more brittle than the first batch. They were put in this AM and left going all day. I don't know if the new batch is any good or not. Thoughts? Hints? I'm about to give up on dehydrating potatoes... :*(

Your potatoes on the left are FINE. The ring you see is from the 'skin'. The skin isn't just on the surface, but it draws its nutrients from the inside of the potato, much like human skin. That ring is perfectly normal.

Your potatoes are darker on the right because of oxidation, much like leaving an apple out to the air.

You do want these 'crisp', not bendable in the slightest.

I think this is a pretty powerful lesson in doing fresh peeled veggies right away and not leaving them in the fridge.

Think of it this way - we all learned from your experience. :)

:bighug2:

Ok...I have a very stupid question.

Got son a dehydrator for Christmas. The only thing he has done is jerky and they eat it as fast as they make it. Other than that I have no clue how the thing works and of course he lost the book that I had planned to read.

So if I dehydrate bananas or apples how do I know they are done and what do I do with them when they are? Vacum seal them and put in cabinet? How long will they keep?

On Veggies like potatoes....is this basically like the potatoes that come in the boxes that are Augratin or Scalloped? Vacum seal as well??

I really want to take advantage of the dehydrator....just no idea what the possibilites are.

Archived