MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

This is kinda fun!

"OMELETS IN A BAG"

Have you ever heard of this? (This works great! Good for when all your family is together and no one has to wait for their special omelet.)

Have guests write their name on a quart-size, zip-lock freezer bag with permanent marker.

Crack 2 eggs (large or extra-large) into the bag

(not more than 2) and shake to combine them .

Put out a variety of ingredients such as: cheeses, ham, onion, green pepper, tomato, hash browns, salsa, etc.

Each guest adds prepared ingredients of choice

to their bag and shakes; make sure the air is out of the bag and the bag is well-zipped.

Place the bags into rolling, boiling water for exactly 13 minutes. You can usually cook 6-8 omelets in a large pot. For more, make another pot of boiling water.

Open the bags and the omelet will roll out easily. Be prepared for everyone to be amazed.

Nice to serve with fresh fruit and coffee cake; everyone gets involved in the process and it's a great, cheerful conversation-starter for the morning.

When my sister lived in Mexico, her DH insisted she *always* bleach any dishes that came in contact with eggs (cooked or uncooked).

Apparently there's a lingering superstition in that area (if not countrywide) that all eggs carry dangerous bacteria (even if fully cooked).

This would sure be an easy way to cook them *and* avoid that bleaching rule!!

• 1 year later...

Has anyone tried Omelets In A Bag? Does it work well? Would it be better to use a vacuum bag (food saver type)? Did you try it camping?

I was thinking this would be easy to put in bags first, and keep in the cooler or fridge, and then pull out to boil. Unless someone says that taking the eggs out of the shell is a bad idea....?

Amber

Thanks Amanda, haven't thought of this in years... we used to do this as kids - Mom always slept latest, so Dad and the kids who were up would make our own breakfast before we went fishing.

I think we just used ziplock-type bags. As long as the bag is not too thin so it won't melt, I think you could use any type.

OK maybe it is just me? or that it is 2:30 am but. . . .

isn't it funny that AmandaHugginkiss_dup1 was the one that posted this and we haven't heard form her since (only 1 post from her)? whistling

I was thinking this might be good for prep weekends or at a brunch party - fill bowls 1 with onions and 1 with mushrooms and 1 with ham etc.and let guests fill in they own bag and then cook? but now I don't know wink

AmishMichael2.jpg

Right now an omlet sounds real good. It is almost 9:30 and I haven't had breakfast yet. smile

That would be a great way to take them camping for sure. And yes, be sure they are the right bags. smile

We hear you Wes, really we do. smilebighugbighugbighug

It's been awhile since I was young, we didn't think about such things then...

But you're right, I would use boil-in-the-bag bags now. Thanks for the heads-up on that!

Originally Posted By: WiccadStargazer
Did someone say something?

*hands Wiccad a q-tip to clean out her ears with*

Disclaimer: Q-tips claims you're not supposed to use Q-tips to clean out your ears. If nobody did, they wouldn't be selling any Q-tips!

seems to me the energy it takes to boil water.. then drop the baggie into the water which causes the water's temperature to drop below boiling then the time to cook 1 bag... would be easier to scramble eggs and drop all the omelette stuffies in the pan.

since I don't run a restaurant we all eat the same thing.

Well, we used to buy boil-in-bags but I don't think I've seen them for awhile. Maybe they were suspect and pulled from the market.

My other group caught this article about the same thing.

http://camping.about.com/od/campingrecipes...plocbaggies.htm

Interesting that the Johnson Company guy (end of article) put in the disclaimer and then the part about meeting the federal guidelines for refrigerating, freezing, & reheating in a zip lock. Makes me wonder if they should be used for microwave cooking since the food sits next to the plastic there, too.

Note: the author, at the end of the article has a link for burritos and he uses zip lock bags in that recipe, too.

I used a reynolds plastic oven bag for cooking chicken (and turkey) and also just bought plastic bags that are liners for crock pots. They are cooking-with-food-next-to-the-plastic also, and crock pots get hot for longer periods besides. Makes me wonder if they are safe? My tamales (XLNT) come in plastic covers and we steam or microwave them in the plastic. Yikes!

If one really wanted to cook the eggs this way, what about making an envelope out of parchment paper, rolling the side edges tight (& staple??), then filling with the premixed eggs and condiments, rolling the top tight (staple?? shut) and then sealing the whole thing in foil to keep it sealed while boiling? One might have to butter the inside, but a butter spray would work. I got inspiration from those recipes that bake chicken or fish in parchment.

Amber

boiling ziplocks in water is 1 a waste of water! a waste of energy as each time you drop something cold into something hot it lowers the temperature and you have to wait to bring it back up to temp.

if you want omeletts... use a frying pan! everyone eats the same omelett! or they don't eat! what is wrong with actually cooking? you know.. the old fashioned way! pots and pans?

but.. it your precious children you are cooking for... I use cast iron.

If I recall, this started with Boy Scouts. The boys were responsible for cooking their own meals, and this saved a lot of mess.

Found one - http://www.macscouter.com/Cooking/DutchOven.html

The Dutch Oven Cookbook Version 2.3 -- July 1995

"Cholesterol Free Breakfast

Carton/package of egg substitute. We used "Nu-Laid". (8 oz.-8 egg equiv.)

Various omelet fixin's, i.e. celery, onions, CF "bacon" bits, etc.

Sandwich-size Ziplock plastic bag for each omelet.

Fill large pot (2-3qt) 4/5 full of water. Bring water to boil. Pour some egg substitute into Ziplock bag. Add favorite omelet fixin's to contents of Ziplock bag. Seal Ziplock bag. Mix contents thoroughly by squeezing. Drop Ziplock bag of omelet into boiling water. Check occasionally. When done, open bag, dump omelet on plate, and dig in.

This takes about 8-10 minutes to cook. This does really work! I did it, and the Ziplock bag doesn't melt - or leak. "Scout's Honor!" Chuck Bramlet, ASM, Troop 323, Thunderbird District, Grand Canyon Council, Phoenix, Az"

Archived