MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

WHAT DISH WAS THE BIGGEST HIT AT YOUR THANKSGIVING DINNER

There was leftovers of everything, but that's because my MIL cooks for an army! I got to keep the carcass (sp?) to make sopu and broth from. Good project for a cold, snowy day!

I made pies. The one kind flew, but the other one didn't. I guess I know which one I'll make next year!

My Korean sil wings are to die for...don't have a recipe, but working on it.

My one neice brought a sauerkraut coleslaw...it was strange, not like sauerkraut at all, with an oriental flavor..she is to give me the recipe.

They ate all my sweet rice and spinach salad.

When you have 60-70 people, they eat everything.

No not at all!

I do it this way.....

1 egg

1 cup of flour

pinch of salt or less if desired

half an egg shell of water

Mix it all together roll it out thin... Then I take my pizza cutter and cut it to desired length and width of the noodle I want.. Then I put them in my dehydrator until they are dry.. I boil them in chicken or beef broth until they are tender with a little salt.. Add chunks of beef or chicken! YUMMY!!!!!

My recipe for noodles is a little different:

1 cup all purpose flour

2 xl eggs

Mix together and let rest for 30 minutes covered. Then roll as then as you can and cut into squares for potpie or roll up and cut thin for noodles. I don't like them dried, so I just always make fresh ones. If you want to use them as a replacement for regular noodles. Just bring a huge pan of water to boil and cook and drain them. I don't add salt as the broth or whatever I am cooking usually has plenty in it.

My bigest hit was pumpkin cheese cake. My son in law saw one at the store and thought it looked good. I used a graham cracker crust. The filling was 1 8 oz package of cream cheese softened mixed with 8 oz of half and half.[ I would have used milk if it wasn't a holiday.] then I added 1 package of vanilla instant pudding, 1 16 oz can of pumpkin and 3 teaspoons of pumpkin pie spice. Mixed it all together and poured it into the crust and chilled. It was so good the kids added it to my christmas food list.

Quote:
and how long should I cook them?

Usually around a half an hour.. But it's a matter of preference for some.. I like mine really well done and some like them chewy..

Yes you can let them air dry.. Until you feel they are dry enough.. Sorry to be so evasive..

The best thing about home made pastas is that you can add just about anything you want, or tailor them to suit your family's needs. If you need low salt, whole wheat, added herbs, low fat, you can do it all! I've even made tomato pasta, and spinach pasta!

I have a little pasta machine that rolls pasta to the desired thickness and then cuts it in various widths or types. I also have a pasta extruder that makes penne, macaroni, and other pastas with a hole in the middle.

Both of these machines are hand crank and are not very expensive. I found a little cookbook specifically for home made pasta several years ago at Powell's Books. It's called, 'The Pasta Machine Cookbook' by Donna Rathmell German and it's one of the 'Nitty Gritty Cookbooks' - published by Bristol Publishing Enterprises- in San Leandro, California.

Although it says it's for pasta machines in the title, it also gives directions for hand rolling. It's a really nice little book and it cost about $5.00 used, with a list price of $8.95.

If you're interested, let me know what kind of pasta you'd like to make and I'll try to post recipes. It's a fun thing to do and doesn't take much time or effort at all. Even the children would get a kick out of it, and you can't beat the flavor of home made pasta.

Powells Books

• 1 year later...
  • 11 months later...

They like my gluten-free sausage and wild rice stuffing with apples and craisins. Instead of wheat bread, I use tapioca flour bread.

And...the dairy-free pumpkin pie always gets snarfed up.

Pumpkin roll cake - I shared the recipe.

I took away the powdered sugar and used lowfat cream cheese for the filling. I added unsweetened whipping cream to the cheese and a BIT of real sugar. No one missed the overwhelming sweetness. This made it quite diabetic friendly.

Also put Splenda in the blender and made 'powdered Splenda' for rolling the cake up in.

Really yummy!

Archived