MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

WHAT DISH WAS THE BIGGEST HIT AT YOUR THANKSGIVING DINNER

Originally Posted By: Yart
My upside down turkey. The first time was a complete accident but now I cook everyone upside down. The white meat doesn't dry out and the dark meat isn't slimy. My family loves it.

YES! I ALWAYS cook the turkey upside down for those very reasons- I've never had a dry turkey that way smile

I make my stuffing in the crock pot, so I wash the turkey, salt/pepper it inside, cut an onion and an apple into quarters and toss 'em in (hydrates the turkey from the inside as they cook and give off steam), coat the bird with olive oil and roast it breast side down.

I guess I also needed to eat *~* That was supposed to say "the how to" and "writhing on the floor"

Herbed turkey - make an herb rub with whatever herbs you like, I usually use cracked pepper, thyme, sage and rosemary. I make about 1/2 a cup of rub.

Divide that in half and mix 1/4 cup rub with 1 stick of softened butter. When the butter is ready you cut just under the skin, not into the meat, and use your hand to spread half the butter mixture on each side of the turkey. Make sure to loosen the skin all over so that the mixture can melt down all over.

With the other 1/4 cup of rub, rub it all over the outside of the turkey. If you use a little oil to brown and crisp the skin then just add the rub to the oil. I always use my hands and rub it in very well.

Roast as desired or directed.

Corn pudding

2 jiffy corn mixes

2 eggs (optional)

16 oz sour cream

2 cans of cream corn

2 cans of whole corn

2 sticks of butter melted

salt (I put in a scant 1/2 t but I don't like salt much) Remember there is salt in the corn!

Mix it all together pour it into a 9x12 pan, and bake it for about 45 minutes @ a preheated 350 oven. It will be golden brown when done and not jiggly in the middle! It can be made in a glass dish and reheated in the microwave prior to eating if you wish!

Recipe halves or doubles easily.

This is always a big hit at our house, but I'll warn you---IT's packed solid with fat and calories. I try to overcome the guilt factor by telling myeslef I'm getting my fruits. smile

Apricot-Ginger Rum Cake

Ingredients:

For the cake:

1/3 cup sour cream

1/3 cup milk

24 Tbs. (3 sticks) unsalted butter, very soft

3 1/2 cups cake flour

3 cups sugar

3/4 tsp. salt

1/2 tsp. baking powder

7 eggs

1 1/2 tsp. vanilla extract

1/4 cup coarsely chopped crystallized ginger

1/4 cup coarsely chopped dried apricots

For the glaze:

2 Tbs. dark rum

2 Tbs. water

3/4 cup sugar

Directions:

To ensure all the ingredients are at room temperature, set them out at least 2 hours before making the batter.

Position a rack in the lower third of an oven and preheat to 325°F. Thoroughly grease and flour a 10-cup standard Bundt pan.

In a small bowl, whisk together the sour cream and milk until blended; set aside.

Place the butter in the bowl of an electric mixer and sift the flour, sugar, salt and baking powder over the butter. Add the eggs, vanilla and sour cream mixture. Fit the bowl on the mixer and, using the paddle attachment, beat on low speed until the mixture is creamy and smooth, 1 1/2 to 2 minutes. Stop the mixer and scrape the sides of the bowl occasionally. Remove the bowl from the mixer and, using a large spatula, gently fold the ginger and apricots into the batter. Spoon the batter into the prepared pan, spreading the batter so the sides are higher than the center.

Bake until the cake begins to pull away from the sides of the pan and a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean, about 1 hour and 15 minutes. Transfer the cake to a wire rack and cool upright in the pan for 10 minutes. Tap the sides of the pan and invert the cake out onto the rack. Set the rack over a sheet of waxed paper.

To make the glaze, in a small bowl, whisk together the rum, water and sugar until blended. Using a pastry brush, generously brush the surface of the warm cake with the glaze. Let the glazed cake cool completely, 1 to 2 hours, before serving. Serves 16.

Taken From www.williams-sonoma.com

Oddly enough for us, what caused the most comments were the pickled bits I set out. shrug

Ever since Mom had her stroke, she has a heightened sense of taste. So I bought her favorite olives stuffed with anchovy (which just *happened* to also be on sale!). Then I got olives stuffed with garlic, hot/sweet pickles (which DH likes), pickled mushrooms from the store deli, and sweet pickled little red peppers also from the deli. I stuffed cream cheese into the peppers as a suggestion from the clerk, and everyone liked them.

It was hectic. I think I took on too much, but it all worked out, and it was fun getting together again. We ate at two, tho... oops

Originally Posted By: lunamother
Originally Posted By: Yart
My upside down turkey. The first time was a complete accident but now I cook everyone upside down. The white meat doesn't dry out and the dark meat isn't slimy. My family loves it.

YES! I ALWAYS cook the turkey upside down for those very reasons- I've never had a dry turkey that way smile

I make my stuffing in the crock pot, so I wash the turkey, salt/pepper it inside, cut an onion and an apple into quarters and toss 'em in (hydrates the turkey from the inside as they cook and give off steam), coat the bird with olive oil and roast it breast side down.

You mean you are not supposed to cook the turkey breast side down? oops I bake my chickens that way too.

Well since our original plans fell through literally at the last minute. DIL2b family invited us over for dinner. It was awesome I didn't have to cook bounce The biggest hit was the sweet tea I took. It seems grandma, grandpa and mil2b are all diabetic so they never have sweet tea. Dil2b knew that is all my crew drank so she asked me to bring sweet tea. The rest of the family was in heaven. Uncle had 2 glasses and said over and over he couldn't remember ever having sweet tea at moms. rofl

The olives and pickles strangely enough, but it might be related to the fact that I was the favorite visiting 'Uncle' and the kids were told to stay away from those items because they were ONLY for me. So of course the kids grabbed every single one on the table while I was not looking. It became a family 'tradition'.

Hmm..I don't really use a recipe. I brown about a pound of ground pork. I use a stick of margarine or butter and melt that in another pan with some onions and celery in an amount that looks right. I toast an entire loaf of wheat free bread, then cube it and toss it in a bowl with the ground sausage which is nice and browned, Then I toss in the sauteed onions, celery and a few teaspoons of Bell's seasoning, about a cup of turkey broth, add a few hand fulls of craisins and perhaps some diced apple if I'm in a fruit mood, and maybe if I have some cooked wild rice on hand, I toss that in also. A little pepper is nice in there, and you can you add extra rosemary and thyme to taste. (I say extra because those spices are in the Bell's seasoning mix)

You can see...it's not exactly a recipe, LOL I just make it..

But that's how I do it.

Sorry I didn't see your request until today

The cornbread stuffing.

It's the first time we've used cornbread instead of french bread. A little sweeter, but had quite a bit more flavor.

You are all making my mouth water.......... yumyum

Anyway, I guess the biggest hit at our dinner was the sweet potato casserole. It was yummy- first time I ever made it but it was the first time I had ever grown sweet potatoes in the garden too. I will have to say though that my husband has yet to try it. I can't understand it- he won't even stick a finger in to test... Guess he thinks it will kill him or something. That's ok- more for me!

We're having our Thanksgiving dinner tomorrow....several family members had to work Thursday. I've been cooking all day and am "so tired my back pockets are dragging out my tracks". If all my kids, grandkids and great-grandkids come it will be about thirty. The cornbread dressing is usually everyone's favorite dish....but this year may be different...I outdid myself making desserts: a peach cobbler, a pecan pie, buttermilk pie, chocolate buttermilk pie and lemon chess pie. We'll all probably gain ten pounds if we only take one bite of everything! God has been so good to us. I guess that I overdid it this year because of all the prepping I've been trying to do and so much talk about the economy going down...guess we'll go out with a "bang".

We ate a dmil's this year and I brought candied yams...which is something I make every year. I should've brought several pans because by the time I got to the food there was one measly spoonful left. I usually only make it for Thanksgiving but, I might have to make it for Christmas and make sure I get some this time. There were very few leftovers this year...I think because all the nieces and nephews have gotten so big...and they can eat!

• 11 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Bleu cheese is tangy, so if there is a tangy one you can have, might try that. If not, is there something you can add to your recipe to give a little tang?

Archived