MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Anyone else cook with cast iron??

I like my cast iron a lot. I rescued two from my MIL's house and one my mom was trying to sell in a yard sale. How can anyone give them away???? They are so great, for browning, for corn bread, for upside down cakes with the pineapple and cherries, for pork chops, and more. Love 'em. I just got another camping dutch oven (for cooking in coals with the feet) at a thrift shop for cheap and it looks like no one ever used it. A 12-inch, I was so happy to get it. I have a smaller one for stove top cooking. I'd love to get more. I will be getting a griddle after Christmas, cast iron of course.

Since Christmas dinner consisted of a 21 lb turkey, a nine pound ham, manacotti, sweet potato casserole, green bean casserole, and homemade honey wheat rolls, all of which require an oven, cast iron saved the day. The ham was made on top of the woodstove in a large cast iron roaster covered with heavy duty foil. It was the most delicious ham ever! The casseroles and manacotti were prepared and microwaved, then popped in the oven for a few minutes to finish. Then the rolls were baked in the oven. What I wouldn't do for a wood cookstove or at least a really big oven!

Archived