MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Rings on Rings off

Grubby

I take them off if I need to use them on other jars. Otherwise I leave them on. (Sometimes 'needing' to use them on other jars means being too lazy/tired to go all the way out to the storage area to get more!)

Dittos to waiting's comments.

I was taught to take them off so that the rings don't rust and cause the lids to deteriorate.

And if the flat lids aren't properly sealed, I'd rather have them obviously unseal rather than be "sort of" sealed by the left-on rings.

If you stack jars, it's best to use a thin piece of wood or stiff cardboard between the two layers. It helps to protect the lids of the bottom ones.

Always off here. Had one batch years ago that mom and I put up. The entire batch was ruined over a month that we were gone on vacation. Came back to find that the people house sitting for us had forgotten to keep the dehumidifier running the entire time and the damp had rusted all the rings to the jars. Couldn't save a one.

So, off. It's always worked better for us. That way we can reuse the rings over and over again. Much cheaper this way too.

I wait till the jars have cooled, then wash the jars and remove the rings at the same time, then label the jars. So jars with the rings on are jars that have not been washed or labeled. Magpie is not the only one who gets distracted.

Dora

• 3 weeks later...

I leave mine on...to me it help protects the seal. I don't hafta have a ring off to know if a seal is bad from the get go or not.

It appears that it's just a personal choice...whatever feels best to you.

Off, off, and more off! Skagitgal is correct in our climate (even though I think our storage room is dry) it is best to have them off and check here and there. Also, think it is the Ball Blue book that says take them off so that is what I do. Finished the second batch of Zucchini Relish this morning, jars are washed, bands are off and they are ready to go to the storeroom! Yahoo!

ok, i guess i will take mine off. i livein a rather humid climate. (humid? its downright WET! lol) i didnt think it mattered, and frankly, this is the very first i have heard of it. i think that taking them off is a good thing also because i need the rings to put in my canner when i can other things since my canning rack is lame. (jars fall through it)

Archived