MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Which Pressure Canner & Why

YYY

Hi Again Everybody,

I looked at 2 pressure canners today. I’d like to get y’alls opinions on both. Both boxes say that these are pressure canners and pressure cookers. These are in my price range.

The first is an 18 quart Presto. The stock number is 01751. It looked like it had a round gauge sticking up on top and included a rack. $89.99

The second is a 22 quart Mirro. The manufacturer number is 92022. I didn’t see a gauge thing on top, and the box did not mention a rack. $99.99

On first look, the 22 quart Mirro looks like a better deal because for $10 more I get a bigger canner, but that doesn’t mean I’m getting a better deal. What do y’all think and why? -- HELP !!!

Thank you,

YYY

The Mirro, if it's a pressure canner will also have a gauge and rack, if it's brand new in the box, and the price indicates that it's new. There is a website you can explore, to get the specs on different canners. Look here www.pressurecooker-outlet.com

If you can afford a new one, you probably want to go that route. Not that there is anything wrong with used ones but, if you have to replace parts before you even get started, it's not worth it, to me. Just my not so humble opinion, and of course, YMMV. You have to do as you feel led.

Anyway, check out the link. If you really want to go top o' the line, get an All-American 941. It's the biggest, and the best pressure canner on the market. It's also on my 'I want' list.

I was at WM earlier this year and they had the Presto.. I think I read on the box it was ok for flat top stoves.

I am posting this for those that have flat top stoves.

I have the 22 quart Mirro and love it. Mine included both racks and the weighted guage. I know the All American is best but I couldn't afford one at the time and have never had a bit of trouble with my Mirro. I can now afford to buy an All Americal but as long as my Mirro keeps on working as well as it does I'll not change.

I also love being able to do 20 pints at a time. It really makes me feel like I've accomplished something!

Just remember, you'll have this for years and years so get something you'll be content with.

Good luck and enjoy!!!

Quote:
I was at WM earlier this year and they had the Presto.. I think I read on the box it was ok for flat top stoves.

I am posting this for those that have flat top stoves.

DARN! And here I am, stuck without a flat top stove.

Necie, I'm thinking of the Mirro 22. (Christmas present for me!) Is that the one you have? Do you like it? I want the jiggly thing cuz I would NEVER get out to have a guage checked. And from what I'm reading, at 9,000 ft UP, everything is at 15 anyway. Or we are off the chart.

MtRider -who is not quite up to an All Am. yet.

Hi Vic303,

Thanks for taking the time to answer my question.

I'd love to get a used pressure canner. I've only seen 3 around here. The first one's gauge was hanging on by a thread, the other thing that sticks up on top was leaning at an odd angle and one handle was missing. The 2nd had no top, and I couldn't get the 3rd one's top to fit even though it was obvious that it was the correct top. -- Sigh

YYY

I suggest that if you want to buy a big one, measure it first to make sure it will fit on your stove.

(between the stove and the hood)

Unless you're canning outside in the yard, 'cause then the sky's the limit!

Mt Rider-I really like my Mirro. It holds 7 qts or 20 pts. You can't stack qts, but you can stack pints (10 on each level). It has a 3 pc weight that fits together, so if I want 10 lbs, I take off one piece-if I want 5 lbs, then I take off 2 pieces. Then when I'm done I put them back together. Most come with 3 different weights (which is like DM's) and I'd constantly be trying to remember where I put them. It does take awhile to come up to pressure, but on the same note it takes awhile to drop pressure when done and this helps to keep jars from losing liquid when pressure drops too fast. Once up to pressure, it holds beautifully-I can turn the stove down almost to low and it keeps a steady jiggle, which saves alot of gas-especially on those marathon 90 min. meat sessions that last all day and half the night.

• 6 months later...

Archived