MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Bread Making Question

Any fat is fine, just melt solid ones first. To tell if it;s doubled, stick your finger into it. If the hole closes up at all, it's not done. If the hole stays, it's doubled

That's a good tip!

What if I stick my finger in it and it deflates? Doubled,

yes?

What if I let it sit too long is it still going to be ok?

What should I do to fix it?

I'm asking these far out questions so I'll know what to do.

For todays breadmaking adventure I'm using a recipe from

Buttercup. Want the recipe, let us know.

Quote:

What if I stick my finger in it and it deflates? Doubled,
yes?

Then it's been too long. That's supposed to be bad but mine doe that time to time, no big deal.

Quote:
I punched it down and it deflated. I like doing that!

I wonder if it didn't rise well during baking because it had over-risen the first time (hence the complete collapse when you poked it). I've only been bread-baking for about a year, but it seems to me like sometimes the yeast gets 'used up'.

from what i understand when you let it rise to much the bread falls. are you making whole wheat or white bread? i like whole wheat better, it is more fun to make. :P

http://www.rogersfoods.com/

100% Whole Wheat Bread

Imperial Ingredient Metric

1 tsp. honey 5 mL

1/2 cup lukewarm water 125 mL

2 tbsp. dry active yeast 25 mL

3 1/2 cups warm water 875 mL

1/4 cup honey 50 mL

2 tbsp. molasses 25 mL

1/2 cup vegetable oil 125 mL

2 egg, beaten 2

2 tbsp. lemon juice 25 mL

10 1/2 -11 1/2 cups ROGERS NO ADDITIVE WHOLE WHEAT FLOUR 2625 - 2875 mL

4 tsp. salt 20 mL

Dissolve 1 tsp. (5 mL) honey in 1/2 cup (125 mL) lukewarm water.

Sprinkle yeast into water. Let stand 10 minutes, then stir well.

Measure 3 1/2 cups (875 mL) warm water into a large bowl. Add 1/4 cup (50 mL) honey, molasses, vegetable oil, beaten eggs and lemon juice; mix well. Add yeast mixture and stir.

Gradually add 5 cups (1250 mL) flour, beating vigorously after each addition. Let stand 15 - 20 minutes until mixture is very light and foamy.

Add salt and remaining 5 1/2 to 6 1/2 cups of flour to make a soft, workable dough. Turn dough out onto lightly floured surface; knead 10 -15 minutes until dough is smooth and elastic.

Form dough into a ball and place in greased bowl, turning once to grease the top. Cover and let rise 50 minutes or until doubled.

Punch down and shape into 4 round balls. Cover and let rest 20 minutes. Form into loaves and place in greased 8 1/2" x 4 1/2" (1.5 L) loaf pans.

Brush tops with oil. Cover and let rise 50 - 55 minutes. Bake in 375°F (190°C) oven for 30 - 40 minutes or until bread sounds hollow when tapped. Remove from pans and cool on wire rack.

YIELD: 4 loaves.

this is my bread recipe. just dont forget to add the salt, i always forget that part. heh heh

I had a problem with my bread falling a couple of times and come to find out my oven was off by several degree's. It's old and until I can get a new one, I have to remember if a recipe calls for 350, I have to set it for closer to 360.

Just another thought on the subject........

I was having flat/short loaves until I looked at bread pan size. Mine were bigger than everyone else's, it seems. So if the recipe said it would make 6 loaves, I made 4 and it made a much more normal looking loaf. You might look at your pan size . . .

• 2 weeks later...

Yeah mine have been rather bricky lately, but bread is a picky little monster. I frequently over rise mine if it's real warm in here, but at the same time, due to the location of my kitchen, I have to either crank the heat up or have something cooking in there or it won't rise at all. It cooks much better in the summer time, but who wants to bake bread when it's 90 outside?!?!?! Gah!

I want a bread machine, too, mine broke, but when the babies get bigger I will go back to practicing the fine art of brick err bread making so I will have it right when TSHTF.

Mo7

Grubby, I posted my bread recipe some time ago after the fair last year. Cat had asked for it as well as other recipes I had used.

This will take you to it.

http://www.mrssurvival.com/ubbthreads/sh...ge=7#Post102131

Oh, I have a bread machine and I don't use it. I would rather make more than one loaf at a time, or make buns or whatever. The machine sets on the counter and takes up space, getting used once every two years or so.

Now, I read where you had asked about sticky fingers, well, you want to put shortening on your hands before doing anything with bread. thhugdfrommetouanimals-2.gif

Archived