MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Blame it on Westie and Darlene

zinger

Oh, my mind is like a trap alright...a mousetrap. I caught up on the past few days posts and just miserably failed the "how long 'til it spoils" quiz. I didn't look at the answers, so I can take it again after I've had some snooze time. I feel so unworthy.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 months later...

I just had to respond to this post. I think this is awesome. Over the years, I've told Darlene so many times, "we have so many people who read, but don't post." We always kept that in mind when things got quiet. I often wondered what those people who simply lurk thought about all of us, whether they think we're crazy, or just nuts (what with all the shenanigans).

Do you remember some of the crazy things that have happened on this forum? Did you laugh with us? Cry with us? Tell us off in your mind? Feel a kinship with us? (I hope so.)

Seeing someone who's lurked so long actually come out and post is awesome. Means we didn't scare you away!

lol :welcome7:

Zinger lurked for a lot longer than I did. I only lurked for a year or two before joining.

Originally Posted By: jewlzm
I am soooo bad at testing!!!!

I'm bad at notes. lol
Originally Posted By: Leah
I only lurked for a year or two before joining.

That's still a long time to lurk smile

And I'm glad you decided to post, too! wiggle

I got shotgunned on my first post on another website. Made me gun-shy.

I can understand that. One thing I've always loved about MrsS is that most people here are respectful of others. There's a lot of kindness here. smile

Originally Posted By: MountainMommy
I just had to respond to this post. I think this is awesome. Over the years, I've told Darlene so many times, "we have so many people who read, but don't post." We always kept that in mind when things got quiet. I often wondered what those people who simply lurk thought about all of us, whether they think we're crazy, or just nuts (what with all the shenanigans).

Do you remember some of the crazy things that have happened on this forum? Did you laugh with us? Cry with us? Tell us off in your mind? Feel a kinship with us? (I hope so.)

Seeing someone who's lurked so long actually come out and post is awesome. Means we didn't scare you away!
lol :welcome7:

I'll respond to this, as I, too, lurked for a time.
I would read old posts on this board and sometimes it was so painful. There were so many posts about marital troubles, problems with children, death and even posts about murder. So much pain written down, I would sit here and literally cry. It hurt.
One night, I couldn’t take it any more and I shut the computer off and went to bed. I lay there thinking again about all the painful posts I had read that night and I cried some more. I decided that this place probably wasn’t for me. I didn’t think I could take anymore sadness. After I quieted down, I began to remember that with every painful post I had read, there were also posts of caring. Every single post, someone was there saying, “I’m here, I care, here’s a hug, and let us know how you’re doing when you can.”
I realized that there is a very strong, caring membership here. That’s what made me decide to stay.

I enjoy the knowledge that gets passed on to all of us, but above all, I value the caring. smile

One of the strangest and most marvelous things on the internet is how much you can "love" someone you've never met.

I don't mean the kind that rips families apart... I mean the kind that slowly grows through familiarity online until when some personal pain or tragedy happens, all you want to do is go share the pain with your friends.

Or when you see how much someone else is hurting, you try as best you can with words to offer hope and love and support.

Anonymous...

no race,

no size,

no socio-economic pidgeonhole,

no country,

no religion,

sometimes no gender.

All you need is to *be here*. And here your heart really IS "home".

If you met me, you'd see how shy I really am. And I don't look like much (don't hit me, Boss! angry040.gif ). But here I can share my heart. I can share what I know without fear. I can joke and be silly knowing *somebody* will giggle with me. If I feel insecure, or freak out about something I read online, or just need someone to listen, I can do it here and realize all over again that I'm not alone.

I'm *home*.

grouphug

Originally Posted By: Cat
One of the strangest and most marvelous things on the internet is how much you can "love" someone you've never met.

I don't mean the kind that rips families apart... I mean the kind that slowly grows through familiarity online until when some personal pain or tragedy happens, all you want to do is go share the pain with your friends.

Or when you see how much someone else is hurting, you try as best you can with words to offer hope and love and support.

Anonymous...

no race,

no size,

no socio-economic pidgeonhole,

no country,

no religion,

sometimes no gender.

All you need is to *be here*. And here your heart really IS "home".

I'm *home*.

grouphug

Cat this part of what you said explains it very well and is how i feel as well thank you for being you and to everyone who posts here and shares here that makes this board the wonderful group it is so that we all have a "home" to come to when we are able .

It's too late to be eloquent so I'll just type and hope it makes some sense.

I remember when I found MrsS I was also a member of the TimeBomb forum, much more hardcore. The two tended to balance each other. I have always loved getting a feel for the personalities here. Along with learning or re-learning stuff, I learned about these people - what makes them tick. There are three things that stick out from my early years of lurking - Old Pine, NanaPop, and learning more than I ever needed to know about hurricane season!

I contribute very few substansive posts and I'm okay with that. So many here are more knowledgeable and quicker on the draw - I'm just sucking up all your experience as I have since the beginning.

What I get from the forum is the comraderie. I enjoy getting goofy and chatting on Mondays about Chinese food and shoe sizes. I don't get to be like that in real life. I'm the oldest sibling, the mother, the grandmother and those are the definative aspects of my life.

Nearly everyone here is extremely supportive of each other in one way or another. It's nice to hear every now and then that you have/are valued even if your opinion differs from the norm. It's good to get whacked up side the head with a frying pan to get you off your butt (...you have a fill-in-the-blank and you're not using it?? What ARE you thinking??) It's good to get a little freaked out since there really is no such thing as being over-prepared. I'm not sure it's good to have bat recipies but we can't all have gourmet palates. rofl

I probably could have gone on lurking longer, but evidently being a member is filling in the empty niches in my life. Mad ducks and apron only attire aside, I believe Darlene must be a walking saint with several others right on her heels. Thank you for adopting all of us who came after.

oh but I want to see how a Cat 'freaks out'!!! now that has got to be a site!

like does your hair stand up and you get them claws out or are you the type of cat that ends up on the ceiling hanging upside down by them claws?

I wanna see!!!

xxooxx

That's very interesting, your perspective and experience PoGo...

On balance, I don't find that there's more pain or joy, one way or the other. For me, I've found it to be quite life like...the normal ups and downs of life. Sometimes the hits are hard, sometimes the joys are soaring...at least that's been my experience.

Like others have said, one of the reasons I love this place is because it's very real here. The people are real, they act real, they behave real, their unique set of circumstances are real, their quirks are real...lol

And to think that we can have such a wide variety of membership, from one extreme to the other, that shares a common bond, and that works together as well as we all do here, is a gift.

I think of Mrs S as a gift also. A gift of knowledge, too. There are many wise ones here, and I have learned much, to the extent that I have found within my hands the ability to perhaps save the lives of those I love. I had thought myself prepared, until I came here, and then my eyes were opened. My prepping is a totally different level now, a way of life. I don't think of things the same way anymore, I find myself hunting and searching for more knowlege, in areas I had only a passing care for before Mrs S. It is the people here, who make the difference.

Archived