MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

What am I forgetting to pack?

MommyofSeven

Getting the hospital bag ready for when I go into labor...

I still feel like I"m forgetting something...

I have the following packed-

For me:

Clothes

Nightgown

Toiletries (mostly free samples, hehe)-shampoo/conditioner, soap, razor, etc.

Sinus meds

Hair clippies and ties

Pads

Brush

For baby

Several sets of clothes-weather is tricky

Diapers

Wipes

Burp cloths

Shopping list: Nursing pads, panties (all mine are holey LOL), more pads, also more diapers and wipes.

Have calls in to friends to gather books. If the baby has AB-O incompatibility we will be there more than a few days. What am I missing?!?!?!?!?!

What else will I need/want those days in the hosp and first few days at home?

Also need ideas for non perishable but not sweet food to take to hospital with me. This is the first hospital I"ve birthed at that did not have a snack room that you could visit whenever you needed to. You can order meals whenever you want, but they take more than an hour to deliver them, and I don't know about you ladies, but I feel like I could eat the proverbial horse, hooves and all, after I give birth. They had a "treat basket" in the room after Roan but it was all cookies and crap like that, which I don't eat. I'm planning on taking lots of juice, but not sure what else. Considered taking a cooler, but that's one more thing to pack in and out so I'd rather do a smaller bag with other stuff.

Any idears?

Mo7

I always wrapped my newborns in receiving blankets...baby brush for the baby (I always liked to brush their hair just so so before a picture)...

Clothes for you to leave the hospital in, unless you are going to wear what you walked in with.

Oh geez, y'all have no idea...rofl

I usta have people looking forward to church on Sunday, just to see what outfit and hat I'd have on the babies.

Yes, I admit it, I had an absolute blast dressing my children. The other day my youngest son came in with a picture taken when I was pregnant with my oldest daughter. I had the 2 boys all decked out with saddle shoes and the whole 9 yards. My son was VERY indignant, and looked me straight in the eye as he shoved the picture in my face and said...

"How could you do that to me! That is a crime!!!"...

I tried to convince him how CUTE he looked and how I was very fashionably gifted but he wasn't buying it...

rofl

Also, I did NOT take nailpolish to the delivery room...I made sure my nails were done before hand!

HA!

Mmmmm good BBQ....that sounds SOOOOOOOOOOO goood...

So let me get this straight

When my water breaks, quickly paint my nails, then put the nail polish in the bag in case I have a girl. Thirty minutes start to finish (I sux at nail painting)

Put hospital bags, containing all the stuff I have packed, into the car. 5 minutes

Drive 20 minutes, stop at BBQ place, ordering the necessary items for PP recovery. Wait is approximately 20 minutes. Don't let DH have any BBQ. Get back in car, drife two blocks, realize I have to go potty. Stop to go potty. 10 more minutes.

Drive 40 minutes to town where hosp is. Drive to mall to find VS, 15 minutes. Look for pink diapers...30 minutes? Drive to hosp, 15 minutes.

Have the baby, and it's a boy! Two hours and twenty five minutes to do all the stuff and it's a boy! You KNOW that's what would happen!!!!

LOL.

Anyway, looks like I had almost all of that stuff on my list, cept the BBQ. Didn't write it all down here, but I had it LOL.

Thanks, Ladies!

Mo7

Mo7, you can cut some time out of that assessment, by having your DH get the BBQ after you deliver. That way it won't be cold, and he can order some for himself too. Make sure he gets enough for the nursing staff on your floor too, as we have had great success in 'bribing' the nurses with food!

For your hospital BOB: If you are smell sensitive, Take your own pillow case, preferably with your own floral or wild print. That's so you have your own home smell near your face; and they won't accidentally confuse it with hopsital white or blue pillow cases or whatever for the laundry.

Snacks: take those little pop top cans in plastic bubble that have chicken or tuna salad with crackers and the little spoon. I just tried a chicken salad from the 99cent store. Not too bad. A little on the sweet side. Take small cans of fruit or vegetables and a can opener or get the pop top kind. Take a spoon. Or take cans of tuna and some crackers and a can opener.

Those little cans of Vienese hot dogs maybe? Like bologna cold.

Ramen cups or bowls. Take a spoon or fork. Ask if they have very hot water available for hot tea, ... before you get there. If they do, you are set.

Address Book, phone card if you need to make non local calls, tea bags, vitamins if you take any, Something to read during the day if you can't sleep and nothing is on tv.

For snacks- fruit, crackers, granola bars, or those "breakfast bars" Dried fruit and nuts, trail mix, juice boxes.

Not much longer now!!

Archived