MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

here comes Spring . . . ..

We're actually going to get to 40 tomorrow, I can hardly wait. With all the open prairie for farm land we usually have horrible wind too but tomorrow only 3 mph is what they're saying.

Yep, spring is close.....YEA!!!!!

We hit 40 yesterday or a bit more, and we are to hit 40 again today. smile Sunday and Monday we are to get up to 45, so yes, Spring is coming. smile

We hit 60 yesterday. Took Roan outside and let him play with the kids and run around. Boy, did he sleep good! So did Mommy, actually, we dont' have a fenced yard so I had to chase him around LOL. Man, it was soooooooooooooo nice.

Can't wait for good stuff to go on sale! Can't wait to plant osme tomatoes!

Mo7

gess I am not gonna tell you it was in the 70's yesterday and I was in peddle pushers and a tank top, sandles and loving the spring!

spring arrived over a month ago.. I always know when it is ofically spring.. the frogs begin singing their songs.

I live approximately 1 1/2 hours from Westbrook and it has been beautiful here too! Sorry for all of you still stuck in winter....but not for long! smile I am a little sad that we didn't get much moisture (very little rain and no snow at all) here.

Westbrook.....have you started planting yet or do you wait until April?

Debbie,

It depends... peas have no problems in the snow or frost as long as it is warm enough for a week to germinate... spinich, leafy greens.

Most others I wait until April.

all this nice talk is cheering me up. . . .

can't wait til we can put peas in the ground.

Working at the Amish Geenhouse helps -

love the smell of the promix (dirt) and all the plants and when the sun comes out it is almost like Heaven in there.

we were working the other day an dhear our first Robin sing his song and a few bluebirds too.

AmishMichael.jpg

In Northern Iowa the "rule of thumb" is to plant peas and potatoes on Good Friday. To actually plant flowers and other vegetables it's safest to wait until after Mother's Day.

What's the planting thoughts for your areas?

Dee - I believe in our area the thought is "good luck!"

I just read in BWH that spinach is quite a hardy plant and can withstand frosts,etc. So, going to try that out and the hanging tomato planters for tomatoes. I do not have a green thumb but as

long as dh is helping it'll be good bouquet I'm looking forward to having the boys work in the garden too!

We are going to get warm for the next few days and a bit of rain. That should take care of most of our snow! But then it'll get cold again. frown I'm hoping with spring comming I can shake the colds/flus that have been hitting me so hard this winter!

Another few weeks and I will be starting my seedlings inside. But it will be at least a month before we will have ground dry enough to till and put in peas and other early crops. After May 24 for the hot weather crops to be put in. I COULD do them a bit sooner if I remember to cover everything with plastic. Some times we get frost into June and even snow now and then. shocked

Were in spring weather here, the daffodills are all fading, and the dogwoods are in bloom right now. Of course that means we have the pollen to clean up and allergy issues to deal with also.

Dawn

Originally Posted By: westbrook
Debbie,

It depends... peas have no problems in the snow or frost as long as it is warm enough for a week to germinate... spinich, leafy greens.

Most others I wait until April.

That's what I do here too! I have planted onions, and have potato's to plant as well. I might get that done today. I have started my tomato and pepper seeds, and want to get lettuce and spinich planted this week!

I plant my onions and garlic in the fall. I also have a fall harvest by planting in late august or early september. Get it planted on or before Labor Day and you will hae a fall harvest.

Plant most of the things you plant late winter, early spring that will die out come the heat.

We can get two plantings a year where we are, you more so then I because I get snow and a day or two at zero degrees.

We can extend our summer garden by covering it with plastic (think hooping ..1" pvc and sheet plastic works well for a temporary green house)

To extend the cool weather garden in the summer, again use a hoop structure and then shade cloth.

I found for us here, the leafy lettuce grew great.

Originally Posted By: Dee
In Northern Iowa the "rule of thumb" is to plant peas and potatoes on Good Friday. To actually plant flowers and other vegetables it's safest to wait until after Mother's Day.

What's the planting thoughts for your areas?

we used to plant that way but with Easter coming so early or late it is hard to go by that? SO we check our charts from years past and go by that ( Michael loves keeps charts and records of everything in the gardens). Also we use raised beds so we can get them in early and what we do is plant the peas as early as we dare useing seed left over from last year. If it comes up we have the eariest peas around if not - nothing lose and the ground is all broken up for the next planting of peas in 2 weeks.

AmishMichael2.jpg
So says
Michael

Archived